ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine doesn't like me

Clio 1.4 16v
Completely randomly my car decides to act really funny.
It will start up ok, then it will lose revs and occaisionally cut out, then other times it doesn't cut out, but then when I go to pull off, the revs will drop and to get started I have to really rev it.

Also the little orange light on the dash sometimes comes on after starting, its a little orange coil, with a graph below it, in the centre of the dash (sorry, i'm not sure what its called).

If it comes on, the car limits itself to around 2,500rpm. If I then switch it off and back on again, the light stays on and the car starts straight up at 2,500rpm without me even putting my foot on the accelerator, then if I switch off and start back on again, the light ussually turns off and all is fine again.

What could this possibly be? I am not at all sure if these problems are linked or not.

Breaking A 172 Replica
It is the coilpacks.

It happens occasionally on mine.

Doesn't cost to much to fit I am told and they are cheap to buy.

When it does happen to me if I really need the power (e.g. car behind is getting pissed off with doing 45 in 60) if you turn to the stage before ignition then on again with out taking your foot off the accelerator you can go like normal.

Sam

Clio 1.4 16v
Thats what I have been used to doing now, however it is really starting to piss me off now.

When the mechanic plugged my car into his snap-on error code reader thing, it said error code 257 - Throttle Valve Pos Sensor Circuit

Clio 1.4 16v
When the mechanic plugged my car into his snap-on error code reader thing, it said error code 257 - Throttle Valve Pos Sensor Circuit.

When I rang Renault they couldn't tell me what part I needed because they said their error codes are different, would this be true or were they just feeding me a load of crap so i'd go to their garage?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks all.

(not quite sure what happened with the above posts??)

CTR--VX220D
I had this on my VX... the downsides of fly by wire. Its either any of the following:-

ECU
Wiring/connectors from ECU to accelarator sensor/TB
Accelerator sensor
TB

Good luck - an expensive problem whatever the outcome.

RenaultSport Clio 182 CUP
I had the same, they changed the pedal accelarator sensor which cured it for all of five minutes. Then after going back to renault a number of times, ended up being the loom and had to have a new one fitted. Runs perfect now though :0)

Clio 1.4 16v
Thats exactly what Renault said when I rang them up, said it could be one of number of things, and that they would need to take a look at it before they could order any parts!!

CTR--VX220D
The problem is once the loom is disconnected the reconnected this resets things and they work for a perod of time before the inevitable. So fault finding will proove difficult.

The problem with my VX was to do with the connector/loom but mos other guys have found it was either the ECU or Acc sensor.

Good luck