ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Drop

After cruising in and driving my mates Golf MK2 VR6 I quite fancy a little engine of my own.

What about a 172 lump in a 16V - shouldnt be too much of a problem should it???

Is anyone looking into this??? Why go 2.0 Litre willy drop when you can have an extra 20 horses and a newer engine, as long as you can get your hands on one?!?

would be a b*****d to fit!!!!!
exhasut headers on a 172 are much larger, and the VVT would require the entire wirering loom, ecu, and the drive shafts/gearbox will need to be the 172 ones too...hard work, put it in theback, its easier. just cut the front off a 172, including turrets and suspension, turn it around, weld into place, lock stering and tada!!!

If your going as far as a 172 engine you might as well reconcider because of the complex nature of the project. For the same money you could proberly get your engine turboed or supercharged. Only a guess tho

Chun.

Also I think someone posted this question on Hill Power. Here was Nicks response "Joe, I am unsure if the 172 unit will transplant easily into an early Clio but one thing I am sure about and that is the wiring would be a major headache as the newer Renaults all have imobiliser systems built into the vehicle wiring which control the e c u all of the relevant wiring would also need to be installed to your car. Why not opt for one of our 2.0l engine conversions with a modified head.". Would be cool to see someone attempt it tho

Chun.

BMW 320d Sport

Anything will fit if youve got the time and money. Eg. the fiat 126 with a rover V8 in it thats always at Santa Pod.

i was thinking, see a 2.2 vtec prelude engine, tuned and chipped ( maybe even turboed ) would be sh*t hot in a 16v clio!!!

I was contemplating this conversion late last year, wouldve been nice to be the first person to do it. But being the first person you are the one who has to discover and run into all the problems and headaches that come with a conversion like this.

So i done a Williams conversion on my Clio instead! Would recommend it to anyone, not vastly quicker than the old 1764cc engine, but the amount of torque available low down the rev range is huge when compared to the 1764cc!

Also considered a 5 turbo conversion, but sumthin straight forward was decided as i need my car to get to n from work, so taking it off the road for weeks/months wasnt really an option.

Lionel Richie

Jon?? are you up for going to a rolling road?? i think theres one in Earlswood!!! If there isnt we could go to the one Reece went on in Tamworth or the one me and Benj found at Carnoisseur near merry hell

Fred the one next to carnoisseur is hi-tech motorsport and i have used them twice and must say they are very helpful, and the best bit is its only £15 for a run, not like £35 at aldons!

yeah i will want to go on the rollers but only after a few more mods are completed so it can all be set up properly. Tamworth sounds good!

Lionel Richie

How much do you reckon it would cost to drop a 172 lump in a 2001 1.2 Dynamic??? I know it would be easier just to buy a 172, im just wondering???

In Maxpower a few years ago I saw a Clio 16v with a cosworth engine in it, with full 4x4 running gear.
Back then itll of cost £8000 for everything to be fitted, this price included the cossie bits.