ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Idle Drops below 500rpm when under load

PH1 172 Sport
Has started doing this today and I'm pretty sure its the ICV but want to check if it could be anything else first!

Car returns to idle so quickly that it almost stalls but then picks itself up again. If if braking for traffic with the aircon on when I dip the clutch to come to a stop the revs die right down to 500 and the car splutters and picks itself up again.

Car also stalls sometimes when you first start it.

Is it the ICV sticking as I suspect or could it be something else?

53 Clio's & counting
Id say either ICV or an air leak mate, mine was doing the exact same thing when I had an air leak from my ICV, I took it off, and put it back on again and it stopped lol

PH1 172 Sport
I've just done that and it seems a bit better but the engine has cooled down now so wont know properly until tomorrow.

I've spent the last week combating the T/B sticking and now that's solved the opposite is happening and the revs are dying!! :dapprove:

53 Clio's & counting
Lol it will be something easy mate, if its not fixed tomorrow il have a look at it one day this week?

PH1 172 Sport
Just reset the ECU as its had a new lambda sensor so maybe its trying to learn new idle values?

The other problem is I had the bright idea of messing with the idle screw on the T/B when I cleaned it to see if the butterfly was catching the inside :mad:. Highly doubt I got it back to where it was originally so maybe the T/B was closing too much.

So i've run the car upto temp. Screwed the screw thing in until the revs start to rise then screwed it back out to the point where a good idle is reached. I have no idea why I have to fiddle with things sometimes.......

The drive to work tomorrow will reveal all!

PH1 172 Sport
Edit: VDO is idle control valve from what I can see. Its recently had a new one so it better not be that again!!

Last edited: