ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine is more noisy than when I first bought it.

Now I'm going to put it down to wear and tear as its done nearly 10k since buying it but when I first got the car it was quiet when the engine was on idle. Now it sounds slightly diesel ish on idle how do dealers make the engine sound quiet? Or would it be because I have a piper cross panel filter and its done around 4k miles with that?

53 Clio's & counting
won't be the panel filter mate.

Could be a tensioner/idler on it's way out? My brother had an older astra that sounded like a diesel on idle and it an idler

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Are these chain driven? The Corsas are known for rattling their chains like a Ghost on Halloween.

Cheers Russ it could be it does sound quite rattley from that area of the car from the pulleys. Is it something to worry about I don't want them coming loose and flying off like my Clio did I had to chase my PAS pulley down the road!

I think so Dan but I couldn't tell you 100% mate as a friend (who is like me not very savvy with cars) told me they are chain driven. It was quiet when I first got it and now it's starting to irritate me :(. Do chains need replacing on chain driven cars?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No, but the tensioners do. IIRC, there is no set interval for them but people generally do them to be on the safe side. They do get a lot louder with age. It will sound like a 106 1.5 d by the time it's reached 100k if the Corsa is anything to go by!

(I am purely talking about my experience with Corsas, i've never had a new shape astra petrol)

I'm sure they will be on the same lines I've just confirmed with google my car is chain driven they started making the engine with chains after 2005 when the new shape change happened (well to my shape). So it could well be he tensioner want a bit of tlc the bearings must wear quite significantly on an engine I'm assuming? Therefore rattling more?