ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine light on :S

120d M Sport
As per title! Cars a 1.2 16v.

Was running fine this afternoon then turned it back on after a brief trip to tesco, engine light comes on....went for a drive...jerky in 1st gear even with engine temp up to normal, then flatspots in 2nd n 3rd :S! Would rev to 3k then stop pulling

Since then the driving has gone completely back to normal, Ive put some BP ultimate in it but still engine light on? Any ideas

Oh mileage is 29k btw

Thanks

Clio 1.2 16v
Im having the same problem mate, my cars running OK now though its a 1.2 phase 2like yours, search on the forums for "engine light"

Mind you my temperature gauge isnt working might take it to a Laptop man see if he can shed any light

120d M Sport
Good luck with it mate..

have u noticed any problems with fuel consumption aswell? mines gone through the roof!!! usually 38 mpg now 30 consistently!!

taking it to a guy with diagnostics friday hope its not an ECU fault

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
Check usual suspects, O2/Oxygen sensors, Plugs + coil pack. also possibly map sensor, but sounds more like a o2 sensor to me.
Mine has a ecu fault on and it always has light on but as long as you don't mind 30mpg tops it aint worth £950+ to fix!
If you get it diagnostic testd it'll problay pedel sensor or something. try cheapet part 1st and good luck!

C

caz

had the same problem, needed the throttle body cleaned cos it was covered in oil altho i just had it replaced with 1 from scrappy
quoted £500 from renault - parts & labour in the end - £100
Also caused the petrol gauge to basically c**k up - petrol would "disappear", light would always be on!
Since replacement no problems with cutting out or petrol gauge.

Clio 1.2 16v
Good luck with it mate..

have u noticed any problems with fuel consumption aswell? mines gone through the roof!!! usually 38 mpg now 30 consistently!!

taking it to a guy with diagnostics friday hope its not an ECU fault

Its gone off now!! i was getting 35mpg but thats about average cus i boot the nuts of it :rasp: Let us know how ya get on tomoz tho m8 fingers crossed it goes away

AFAIK, there's two warning lights, the engine management light (for when the coil/misfire fail/other engine faults etc) is seperate to the bank of centre warning lights. I'm pretty sure in the handbook that the centre orange light is only oxygen sensor/emissions-related.

C

cliosportheth

i had this same problem for about a yr or so,it was a constant problem,i fixed mine by replacing the coil pack,how ever after a few month later it was doing the same again,i heard off one of my m8s(a renault mechanic) that inside the little box at the end of the 4 wires theres silicone and in there the silicone fooks up and exposes the wires therfore causes the wires to touch...hope this helps and sorry for my incorrect terms im not a mechanic :)

120d M Sport
Thanks for your input everyone, very helpful indeed!

Had the problem sorted today

Caz as you mentioned the diagnostic showed a problem with the throttle boddy, we found it was caked in crap, so removed it with brake cleaner and its running fine now, I guess this might be a common thing on 1.2s?

120d M Sport
Its gone off now!! i was getting 35mpg but thats about average cus i boot the nuts of it :rasp: Let us know how ya get on tomoz tho m8 fingers crossed it goes away

35 mpg aint bad mate especially with heavy right foot lol:p

Well done on gettin urs sorted aswell

C

caz

app very common! my friend has a 2001 clio, same problem, still hasnt got it sorted which is a right pain for him as he is in the army n has to travel a lot! went to pod in our clios and his battery died, had to bump start it 5 times cos once it was running it kept cutting out! hilarious!
also bro's mate has a 51 plate, exactly the same problem!

glad its sorted! mine runs smooth now, does seem to lose a bit of power but hasnt cut out since! still keep lookin for the light on the dash tho lol

120d M Sport
f***s sake its back on lol :mad:

first time it came on, another light on the dash came on (think it was the ignition one) and the car wudnt rev beyond 3000rpm. After turnin off and turning back on though, the car returned back to driving normal and the light in the middle went off but the engine light remained on.

Caz how much did u say you paid for a throttle body from a scrappy?