ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine managment light/Emmision(sp) light

After abit of a spirited drive today, the engine managment light flashed on and off, every now and again going off, and then coming back on again, fixing itself for a bit.

It sounded like the car was running on 3 cylinders through the exhaust, but when i lifted the bonnet the engine was running smooth as ever :S Did feel like it was struggling to pull away, but no limit in the revs.

So i got home and unplugged both lambda sensors and plugged them back in again, and its sorted now, however the engine managment light is just on now.

Any ideas what it could be?

172cup
engine management light will reset itself in < 120miles

O2 sensors are a b*****d on the mk2 imo. Ive had a s**t load of problems with mine, and it always works itself out again... however the engine management light stays on for a good while afterwards

Just check you;ve not got any water getting into the coil pack as thats what started all my problems.

Does it go into 'limp' mode at all?

172cup
limp mode = engine management light flashes/static and revs limited to approx 2800rpm

can be reset by simply turning ignition off/on again

Normal washing of the car shouldnt effect anything obviously, however if you've stood with a hose for 10mins onto plastic cover between windscreen/bonnet its possible some water may have got in.

Take the leads and electrical connections out and check. Maybe spray with a waterproofing sealant

Never limited the revs while driving.

I did spray down the windscreen onto the scuttle panel bit, so i may take the coil pack off 2morow and give it a good clean and see if its wet etc.

172cup
Never limited the revs while driving.

I did spray down the windscreen onto the scuttle panel bit, so i may take the coil pack off 2morow and give it a good clean and see if its wet etc.

you might find its not that, obviously the scuttle panel is slotted to remove the excess water etc... and my issues were aided by having a stupid carbon bonnet with increased gaps

Ok thanks. So i started it again just, and its running fine, just light is still on.

Going to take it for a drive 2morow.

If it happens again i guess im going to need to get the code read?

thanks

172cup
yeah you can get it reset in seconds... just dont pay for it. ANy garage with the chips will do it free.

Trust me though... it should reset itself, just give it time. The longest mine took was 120 miles, and never came back on

172cup
R-e-n-A-u-L-T lol

in an honest answer, no sorry.

The bit i didnt want to tell you, is that i have replaced all my injectors, coil pack, throttle position sensors, entire throttle body and llamda sensors x 4, plugs, leads etc (at a rediculous cost)

... and the engine management light still comes on with a misfire thrown in there. Ive given up