ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mods to a 1.2 clio or is the engine swap worth it

172 Rep
Need a bit of help guys, been looking around for engine mods for my 1.2 clio and theres not alot of choice, yeah there's exhausts, air filters, chips, engine swap seems more of a better route than faffing around with crap?

172 Rep
Insurance is an ass aswell, when a few years no claims come through i'll get a 172, to bomb around in its a nippy car but i want a bit more nudge

LY 172
You'll never get that bit more nudge from a 1.2. Just lots of noise.

How good are you on your tools? The conversion is simple. And cheap if u do it yourself.
I never had insurance problems with admiral.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
conversions cost more than the cars worth and more than a 172 in the long run....

engine mods on a 1.2 dont work and are just a waste....

the only decent option is to save up and buy a 172!

this kind of thread has been done to death tbh, and it keeps coming back to the same conclusion!

172 Rep
Yeah not too bad with tools, bit pf patient's and tea should be okay
Does any engine &gearbox drop straight in, gathering the engine loom and ignition will be changed??

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah not too bad with tools, bit pf patient's and tea should be okay
Does any engine &gearbox drop straight in, gathering the engine loom and ignition will be changed??

Bear in mind you just don't need the bare engine, box and loom mate, it's all the extras that go with it too, as you will need to uprgrade the cooling system, the brakes and the suspension.

by the time you have changed all that, and diclared all of that on your insurance you will be paying more to insure it than a proper 172, would have spent just as much as it would to have bought one, and it would be worth less than a proper one.

If you want some more poke, strip the interior out, that will knock around 0.5-1 second off your 0-60 time

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Ring the insurance, get a quote for swapping the engine/brakes/suspension and if it comes back cheaper than insuring a real one, buy a hed of a ph1 for less than a grand, swap the parts over, then sell/scrap the rest and make some money back :)

172 Rep
took the spare wheel out, removed rear seats, and it felt a bit quicker, just going to settle for getting a few years no claims and buy a 172 :)

182, 6r GTi
my 1.2 16 was mapped k&n inducting kit and a k-tec exhaust and decat also stripped rear dont care what anyone says it was faster than standard better torque and throttle response to

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
Im going to get abuse for this.

do the 172 conversion and dont tell insurance, plenty of people do it just dont get caught.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Im going to get abuse for this.

do the 172 conversion and dont tell insurance, plenty of people do it just dont get caught.

Great, until someone smacks into you at a set of lights and you're f**ked through no fault (well, bar the obvious) of your own.

Good move. People that do this are the reason insurance is so daft in the first place.

Also, it's perfectly legal to murder people if you don't get caught either.

DCI100
Get a dci 80 or 100 mate, I'm 19 with a 100 and the power is plenty :) will smoke all the 1.2 and 1.4s that try it with ya. 100hp at you're foot and the handling is better on the dci 100 than the petrols....

There only one insurance group higher than a 1.2 ph1 as well :) have a look at the oictures of mine, tonkatrucks or dciraz although there's are a lot further in to the progress than mine ...

Renault Clio
I've got a 1.2 16v, Its cammed nd the heads been gas flowed and ported, induction kit, ktec exhaust, ktec rear strut and bigger brakes. I done all the head my self as that's my job lol so didn't cost me a thing!!! Cam.was only 100 nd its fast road piper cam. Dont care what anyone says this is now a quick car its on show at mod live soon so feel free to come look lol for a 1.2 it flys.. its keeps with my mates 1.9 tdis seat easy. Ow nd its stripped out. So if you can do it!! Plus nothing better then people seeing your car and thinking ow its just a 1.2 nd then you going off into the distance, of course its not going to be as quick at the 172 etc but for some that's 17-18 years old its the best you can do tbh imo. I'm sure there will be people than don't agree but hey hoy I'm the one with the car I what to get it on a rolling road.

Last edited: