ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mount 'bang' - how serious?

Iceberg 172
I'd already read about the engine mount issues on here..., then floored it in first gear the other day accompanied by a bang from the front that took me by surprise somewhat.

Only does it when you really dump it in first, hear nothing most of the time even during spirited driving. The symptoms match what I've read on here about engine mounts.

Question is, how serious is it? How soon should it be rectified (bearing in mind there are a few other jobs requiring my hard-earned)? and will it do any more damamge to the car if left for a bit?

(I don't rag it everywhere, only heard the bang once other than when deliberately testing it)

Last edited:
  C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Originally Posted by ben_p
Just to note that

If you loosed the 4 16mm bolts on the left hand top mount, put a large bar behind the mount and pull the whole mount and engine forward as far as you can get it (engine is pulled towards the front bumper)

then whilst holding it forward tighten the 4 16mm bolts back up nice and tight,

try this as it will only take 2 mins and could solve half the problems for you guys

--------------------------------------------------

posted by me a while ago

try it!!

Iceberg 172
Not axle tramp, not talking about spinning the wheels.

Cheers Ben, seen that, is that easy enough DIY? May try it, but more interested to know whether doing nothing is likely to hurt the car at all.....

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
nope wont damage car anymore

takes 2 mins

all you need is a 16 mm socket, wrench, extention bar

and a bar / or what ever to pull the engine forward