ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mount diagnosis

Clio 172 Cup + VX220
I've just bought a clio cup 172, pleased with the car but there are a couple of issues.

Under hard acceleration there's a horrible grinding / knocking which i'm pretty sure is engine mounts. Is there one that normally goes first and what's the best way to check them? I see the offside mount is easy to get to but not sure about the nearside. Also, are there 2 bottom mounts and will they need replacing? Was going to jack the engine up from underneath and replace them that way.

Seen that my local part supplier can get them in stock but i've also seen that K-tec ones, I don't want to spend loads on this so are they worth the extra money?

TIA

Andy

Hi, I'm in the middle of trying to eliminate my knocking on acceleration.

I've changed the dogbone bushes, which you'll see underneath, powerflex ones are ~ £40
B25EC3A7-4300-4D87-9F87-56A3C7526842_zpsvrjhd4ew.jpg

The upper gearbox mount is under the battery, support the gearbox from below and it's pretty simple to change from above with the battery removed, think this is why mine's knocking!! I'm goimng with Vibratechnics ones, same as KTR
189A0EB3-3F95-4158-BDB8-9AADC684AB3B_zpswrmgwc3c.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup + VX220
Ahh that's great thanks very much. Where do you buy the Powerflex bushes from, i have them on another car and have been pleased with the results.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Best way to check them is put the handbrake on, then keep finding the biting point and making the car strain slightly against the brake, without moving.

If the knocking occurs, keep doing it and get a friend to listen to see which side / where it is occurring. Also, pop the bonnet and get the friend to look to see if the engine mount moves under load with the handbrake on, as describes above.

By holding it on the brake, you eliminate it being anything wheel / brakes / rotational wise. If there is movement / the noise, it will be one of the engine mounts.

In terms of solid engine mounts like vibratechnic / KTR ones - they are great in terms of being more robust, eliminating engine movement etc. I have them on my track car. Downsides - more expensive and they will once fitted transfer the engine movement back into the cabin at idle etc.

Clio 172 Cup + VX220
Hi Cub, thanks for the reply. We did try putting the car in gear with the handbrake on and making it move but it still wasn't obvious which one was broken. When you're driving it sounds as if it's the offside that's gone but not 100%. I think the best thing to do is just take them out and have a look.

Yeah ah I must admit I was surprised the amount of difference the power flex inserts made to vibration in another car of mine so I imagine the Vibratechnic mounts are even worse. I think we'll end up replacing them with standard mounts and hope they last.

Thanks for the advice.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
A lower mount is the best bang for the buck, it'll also mask other mounts being slightly past their best (aslong as they aren't utterly utterly fucked) but it's worth changing them anyway

Clio 172 Cup & TVR
Turns out it was the offside engine mount. It was completely sheared in two. So need to get one of those on order. The two gearbox mounts were checked and seem to be ok. Might leave them for now.

Renault Clio 172 cup
Dont know how well you checked the one underneath the battery , but the cast aluminium housing that its mounted in ( it also acts a batttery tray ) are known for cracking , usually just above where the very rear bolt is. The actual rubber mount itself might look ok but if the thing its mounted in is cracked then they cause a horrible noise. My brother has just bought a 172 with exactly that problem and a mate has had one crack in the same place also.At least worth checking as it doesnt take long.

Clio 172 Cup & TVR
We did take the battery and air box out to check it. It all looked ok. Didn't find any damage to the mount or the bracket, but thanks for the advice. We will double check it.

Engine mount....

1464104_10154110695280302_701508670601204442_n.jpg

10341526_10154110695265302_9046144310661679733_n.jpg

10349977_10154110695250302_5782979161877622707_n.jpg

Best way to check them is put the handbrake on, then keep finding the biting point and making the car strain slightly against the brake, without moving.

If the knocking occurs, keep doing it and get a friend to listen to see which side / where it is occurring. Also, pop the bonnet and get the friend to look to see if the engine mount moves under load with the handbrake on, as describes above.

By holding it on the brake, you eliminate it being anything wheel / brakes / rotational wise. If there is movement / the noise, it will be one of the engine mounts.

In terms of solid engine mounts like vibratechnic / KTR ones - they are great in terms of being more robust, eliminating engine movement etc. I have them on my track car. Downsides - more expensive and they will once fitted transfer the engine movement back into the cabin at idle etc.

Bit off topic but, when changing the dog bone mount is it best to support gearbox or is it just simpley unbolt then replace bushes, bolt back on? thanks in advance

Clio Sport
I've just bought a clio cup 172, pleased with the car but there are a couple of issues.

Under hard acceleration there's a horrible grinding / knocking which i'm pretty sure is engine mounts. Is there one that normally goes first and what's the best way to check them? I see the offside mount is easy to get to but not sure about the nearside. Also, are there 2 bottom mounts and will they need replacing? Was going to jack the engine up from underneath and replace them that way.

Seen that my local part supplier can get them in stock but i've also seen that K-tec ones, I don't want to spend loads on this so are they worth the extra money?

TIA

Andy

Unfortunately, I have just had the 'WORST'' experience ever with this company. I have even felt the need to re-join Facebook in order to make my complaints heard! I'm not into complaining and this is the first time I have used Facebook for this, yet after the service that I have experience I feel other should know. Having spent over £2500 in three separate orders, of which they were delivered to the wrong address, incorrect parts, some parts not even included! Regarding advice from them, watch out who you speak to, otherwise it could end up costing you dearly! Be warned

Clio Sport
Unfortunately, I have just had the 'WORST'' experience ever with this company. I have even felt the need to re-join Facebook in order to make my complaints heard! I'm not into complaining and this is the first time I have used Facebook for this, yet after the service that I have experience I feel other should know. Having spent over £2500 in three separate orders, of which they were delivered to the wrong address, incorrect parts, some parts not even included! Regarding advice from them, watch out who you speak to, otherwise it could end up costing you dearly! Be warned

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've got K Tec mountings on mine a nod Powerflex dogbone bush and the car is superb under hard acceleration on the track and road. No transfer of vibration into the car either. Well worth the money. Had them on my car about 4 years now.

Clio 172 RS ph1
sorry for jumping the thread -
how difficult is it to replace the bushes on the ph1 dogbone? what tools are needed?