ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mount help!

White Evo V
My engine was vibrating and knocking last week on idle. It was also juddering and knocking pretty bad when setting off. I checked the engine mounts and they were shot - big time! The top mount was snapped where the rubber is so it wasn't even holding the engine in! Lol. Anyways I got hold of some new mounts and fitted them fri/sat. I fitted a new top engine mount and a new bottom engine mount ( the one on top of the gearbox ). I started the car and was pretty chuffed as the vibration had now gone along with the knocking on idle. The car doesn't judder any more and drives alot smoother! However this morning on my way to work I noticed when setting off there is still a slight knocking! Things like this annoy the hell out of me. When fitting the mounts I noticed there is quite alot of adjustment in them forwards and backwards. Have I tightened the mounts up in the wrong place, and what the hell is it that knocks? I was wondering if you should fit the mounts, then pull the engine right back and tighten the bolts, something along those lines!?? Can anyone else help me sort my annoying knocking!!!!! :S

53 Clio's & counting
you can adjust the top one mate (on the o/s) by undooing the 4 large bolts and pulling the engine forward. Be aware though you need alot of strength to do it, and it is easier if you jack up the engine slightly to aid. you can move it forward a good 1/12 inches, and will help

White Evo V
I was pulling and pushing it about 2 inch forwards and backwards yeterday, If not more, lol! I didn't know where to set it though so I put it about in the middle. Is it better as far forward as poss ( pulled towards the front bumper ) and will that eliminate my knocking? What is it that knocks? I get a feeling it's the manifold, not sure though?

53 Clio's & counting
yes mate it will be the mani on the subframe, what i did was pull mine as far forward as possible then drive it,see what its like, and adjust to suit, but mine was fine all the way forward.

RS RIP
^^ what i have read (loads btw) on here is that you have to pull it forward to get more clearance for the manifold..

have a look next time round when the car is up on a bridge , the space it has is only a couple of mm !!

White Evo V
yes mate, and it makes the engine move less and should stop the knocking, though i tend to use mine quite hard, so iv uprated my mounts

Pulled the engine forward, seems better, Thanks! I want uprated mounts (and need them) but just cant afford £200 at the min so standard ones will have to do for now! :(