ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mounts/tramping/pops out of gear

Tav

Clio 197
I've read a lot on engine mount issues after using the search function. I get the usual FWD tramping under harsh acceleration, nothing to really worry about...that was until the car popped out of 1st one day. It's done it a couple of times since. I don't make a habit of thrashing the car in 1st but it'd be nice to know that it isn't going to pop out if I have to nip out of a junction quickly.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with the car jumping out of 1st? Car is in for a service soon so might get them to check all the mounts whilst they are at it and tip the engine forward a bit before nipping them up again.

Tav

Clio 197
It does sound daft but good point, no issues with engaging gears on the car or my part. Only happens under heavy load, can visible see the gear stick giving a few rocks back and forth. My assumption is that the engine is rocking enough to pull the linkage on the box and slide it out of gear...are Clio's shaft or cable boxes?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
powerflex do engine mounts for gearboxes,
just to make a point to your thread lol

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
my clio has done that on occasion, if it spins enough lol. my gearstick looks like it's tyring to club me when i put my foot down it shakes so much lol! ktec sell all the uprated mounts, tho there's some debate on the forum as to whether they're any good/ better than oe. have a search around.

Clio 172 Cup
hi, i wonder if you can help...
my car pops out of 1st gear if you drive then engine break.. it also pops out of 3rd when you come off the gas.. if driven gently with no engine breaking it doesnt seem to come out of gear!
Also there is a whining noise while driving in 4th gear.. we have checked the mounts and the tech i spoke to said they are all ok. any ideas??

Thank you