ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine noob?

hey guys,

Not sure if this is relevant to this section, but hey its about an engine so ill give it a shot :) ok for starters i am complete novice with engines i know the basics filters, manifolds, cams ect, ect but it always crops up in threads about headwork? Top end, bottom end, south east end? Why do people do it and for what reason? I havent got a clue what people are talking about and feel abit left out :( could somebody enlighten me on the situation?

thanks people!!

Top end refers to the top of the engine ie camshaft etc.
Bottom end refers to the bottom of the engine ie crankshaft n stuff.
Hope that helps a bit.

cheers for the reply :)

ermmm yea does abit, still confused about what they mean when they saying they are doing head work? What kind of work are they talking about?

thanks again

Westy. MX5
Headwork--- changing, repairing or uprating Valves, springs, camshafts, gas flowing (means reaming out inlet/outlet ports to improve gas flow in & out of the engine) So anything to do with the Cylinder head and bits attached to it.
Bottomend---- Changing, repairing or uprating pistons, crankshafts, con. rods, big end and small end bearings. Again any work associated with the engine below the cylinder head.

Hope that helps. By the way, don't they teach anything about car mechanics at school anymore?

Mechanics in school wasn't even an option for us :S like I said I know the basics and the basics about turbos and superchargers ect but when it comes down to the more technical stuff of engines I'm lost! Cheers for that info I think it's starting to come together! :)

Westy. MX5
So boys do cooking and needlework now, such a shame, must be because more female teachers in schools now.

rs 200
Mechanics in school wasn't even an option for us :S like I said I know the basics and the basics about turbos and superchargers ect but when it comes down to the more technical stuff of engines I'm lost! Cheers for that info I think it's starting to come together! :)

Didnt do it when i was at school either. I wish they had they had.

So boys do cooking and needlework now, such a shame, must be because more female teachers in schools now.

Haha pretty much woodwork and stuff like that! Altho if mechanics was an option I probably wouldn't of taken it, never really got into cars until I passed my test when I was 20. Just been trying to learn more as times passed, I've had a fair few modified cars but always left it to the garages to do the work for me but I would like to know more!

Westy. MX5
Take up subscription to "Car Mechanics" magazine if it is still going. I learnt a lot from them in the '60's.

Just Googled it, It is still going.

Oh cheers I might take you up on that, I do a fair bit of reading on here and other forums ect, just my op stuff I don't really know about.

Westy. MX5
When I was 17 my dad bought home Knackered Mini engine, found it at the side of the road on the way home from work. Over the next few months I stripped it down and rebuilt it with the help of Car Mechanics and my Dad. Learnt a lot about engines and how they work. When I finished it and got it running I sold it for a decent profit to a Mini enthusiast who lived nearby. If you have a garage or decent sized shed you could get an old engine and do the same. You wont learn much unless you do the hands on part of the job as well and it takes time.

Clio 182
Take up subscription to "Car Mechanics" magazine if it is still going. I learnt a lot from them in the '60's.

Just Googled it, It is still going.

I rate this magazine! I get it every month when I go and see my parents as there aren't many places that seem to stock it near me.