ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ENGINE OIL FOR 172 (MK1)

Hi. I want to run my 172 on fully symthetic oil but am not sure what the correct grade to use is? think it might be 5/40w but not sure. Does anyone know, or is anyone running fully symthetic oil???

not sure of the technical explanation -but I put that Shell oil in that comes in the silver/grey tub !!! and its bloody expensive!!

ian172,

I,ve read a "Technical Bulletin" that Renault send to their dealers warning them NOT to use synthetic oil with a viscousity index LOWER then 10W-xx. (so NO 5W-xxxxx but 10W-xxxx or 20W-xxxx ) otherwise ,because the F4R-engine has a very high compression ratio (1:11) the big-end or crankshaft bearings will break the thinner and weaker oil film of the 5W-xx oil.

Also if you read the user-manual of your car carefully,youll notice that any 5W-xxx oil is not recommended for the 2.0 16V engine.......

My clio 172 (also MKI) runs on Castrol RS racing 10W60,due to the very high "warm" index (60) this oil is relatively thick and thus provides a very strong oil film..... and at the same time is relatively thin when cold. I truly recommend this oil

Marco

If the manual says specifically not to use any type of oil with a cold index of 5W, then I would recommend something like Castrol Magnatec 10W-40. Its reasonably priced and will protect from cold as well as a 5W because of its ability to "cling" to the metal when cold (although the "special" additive costs pence per litre!). Being sponsored by Castrol, Im a bit biased towards them, but I wouldnt recommend using any grade of Castrol RS Racing for a road car. Its fanastic but it doesnt contain anti-wear addictives in a bid to wring a few extra horses out of the engine. Your choice really.

Quote: Originally posted by marco on 23 October 2003

ian172,

I,ve read a "Technical Bulletin" that Renault send to their dealers warning them NOT to use synthetic oil with a viscousity index LOWER then 10W-xx. (so NO 5W-xxxxx but 10W-xxxx or 20W-xxxx ) otherwise ,because the F4R-engine has a very high compression ratio (1:11) the big-end or crankshaft bearings will break the thinner and weaker oil film of the 5W-xx oil.

Also if you read the user-manual of your car carefully,youll notice that any 5W-xxx oil is not recommended for the 2.0 16V engine.......

My clio 172 (also MKI) runs on Castrol RS racing 10W60,due to the very high "warm" index (60) this oil is relatively thick and thus provides a very strong oil film..... and at the same time is relatively thin when cold. I truly recommend this oil

Marco
My drivers handbook recommends using Elf Ultimate 5W40 for the 2.0 16V

I have tried shell 5W40 @ 6000mi

At the last service 12000mi Elf Premier Plus 10W40 was used and sitll in there.

I have been using the addative Prolong as well.

What to put in next??? :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by Oliver-K4M on 24 October 2003

the 5W-50 oil is thicker at 150°C than the 10W-40.....
Yes,youre right but the 10W40 oil is thicker at LOW temperatures(warming-up phase).A cold engine is the time when the possible bigend/crankshaft -bearing problems may occur.

On a cold engine the thinner and weaker oil film of the 5W50 oil (compared to the 10W40 oil) together with the bigger bearing clearances will create a situation where the bearing surfaces will push away the oil film.In worst case there will be metal-metal contact ,which is something you dont want.....

Marco