ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Oil Help!

PH2 172
Hi all, driving to work today and the ' stop' and engine oil lights started to come on, albeit irregularly, only 5 miles to wok so get here all good, but im assuming it needs topping up-although shouldnt it display something on the trip computer?

Havent got a manual so..where do i check the levels, couldnt find the dipstick!and also where do i put it back in :S And what oil do i want to be replacing it with?

Cheers Chaps!

Iceberg Ph1
Dip stick is located under the fuel rail guard (kinda).. You can see it, but it can be missed.. Just look down the front of the engine (Between the radiator and engine obviously).. Where do you put it back in? Oil I assume? If you have an engine cover, there is a lid on the left (It has 16v 2.0L wrote on it) that pops off and beneath is a yellow cap, oil goes there..

The oil you need is 5w40 fully synthetic, requires 5.1L for a full oil change also.

Hope this helps!

PH2 172
5 litres! but i dont actually need a full oil change right? I can just top it up?
Any recommended oils? castrol, HAPPY SHOPPER??

Any oil will do really as long as its the right grade. Maybe not the super cheap stuff though.

I'd advise you not to drive the car until you check/top up the oil either unless you want a seized engine

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
lol poor sod.

Ask somone in work to help you...
AA cover although expect a unhappy AA man

check the level first.
5/40 top up bottle (1l) should be fine.

I read on here somewhere that Rs clios don't favour Castrol too well.

I'd top up the oil but the stop and engine lights coming on would worry me as the oil light normally comes on when theres a lack of oil pressure dont it ?

And for lack of pressure the oil level must be well down or oil pump on way out :(

Was you going round corners when the lights were coming on irregularly as the sensor may have been unable to pick up theres oil there at that time and lit up the light as the oil is splashing around.

Either way check it and top up asap.

5w40 or 10w40 will be fine

PH2 172
Ok checked the oil levels all good,as far as i can tell, so im assuming its oil pressure light, drive to work is abit buympy but never had any issues before? Also car hasnt been driven in a day or two? where do i go from here? Car is at work.. :/

LOTS!
Opie Oils will give excellent oil recommendations mate, give them a bell.

When was your oil last changed? I'd check your oil, top up with a run-of-the-mill brand for now. Monitor levels to establish if you are loosing/burning oil (regularly over the next few weeks). Then, I'd get my oil/filter changed, especially if it's due/nearly due and I'd use an oil as recommended by Opie Oils. :)

LOTS!
Ah, OK scrub that then! I'd get to a mechanic and pay a few quid to have it checked. Can't be too careful when it comes to oil-type issues.

PH2 172
ok well the garage next door are going to get it on the Diag system tomorrow, and take a look. Mechanic seemed to think it is probs electrical, as no knocking or any other issues, the oil is fine and the light is only flickering on occasionally, which sounds abit more hopeful i guess :(

ex-H&R'd Cup
did you ever get any solution to this??

Mine has got this exact fault but my oil level is fine. Thinking i might need to replace the oil sensor