ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine oil leaking into gearbox

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
So I have engine oil leaking out the bottom of the gearbox on my DCI which has contaminated the clutch. It only happens when the oil gets hot and it's a health drip every second or 2.

I have changed the crankshaft seal and when putting the oil back in it used 3/4 of a litre less than what came out (I have new oil but bought the car with a knackered gearbox so making sure I can get it running before servicing it!) so I was hoping that it was just over filled and hence pushing oil out under pressure. However it's still dropping a significant amount of oil.

My question is... What do I do now? I can't remember how high the sump gasket is but is it worth changing that? Or do I rip the gearbox off again and check the crank seal?

2d2dc5825198b310fa38ae15ba45a2e2.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Has the flywheel end crankshaft main cap been removed? They have silicon up them on the joint and TBH its quite easy to think you have done a good job of applying it and still end up with a leak, its something I now take a lot of time over.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
have you put it in too far/not far enough?

did you drop the mains cap to do it? if so did you reseal the mains cap?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Then my guess would be (providing your dump is sealed) that you fitted it incorrectly (done it loads of times myself :()

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Then my guess would be (providing your dump is sealed) that you fitted it incorrectly (done it loads of times myself :()

Yea I read it was an absolute pain the the arse so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't done right! It's the first time I've ever taken a box off as well so I'm on a steep learning curve!

Il order another seal and see if I can give it another bash! Any tips?

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Got everything off today, still not sure where it's coming from. Does it look like the seals not far enough in or.... Does anyone want to come and have a look that has more experience, cars near west Calder just now in the unit! Haha

ae19624ae7c83ae79045013e59fcce42.jpg

91ccdb391eb50d8b923d3566fabbe7fd.jpg

9efff0b93bbdff898cb78c8eee4d87b0.jpg

791831c9ccb7c14f18954c6904a62225.jpg

8f64ca8cde2316dc010d3eeb2c051bf7.jpg

6ce92e9e8c24b843165c36994087e2db.jpg

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Ok what would you guys do as it's the 3rd time the box has been off.

Would you:
A. Just push the seal a bit further in and replace the flywheel bolts and put it all back together.

B. Replace the crank seal and the flywheel bolts and put it back together

C. Replace the crank seal, sump gasket and flywheel bolts whilst it's apart then put it back together.

Cheers!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'd go with option C mate tbh. You maybe would get away with pushing the seal in further, but there's no way of checking that it hasn't suffered any damage so it's not worth the risk imo.

Make sure you put a bit of sealant on the areas where the sump touches the main caps. You can see where I mean in your pics above mate.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
I'd go with option C mate tbh. You maybe would get away with pushing the seal in further, but there's no way of checking that it hasn't suffered any damage so it's not worth the risk imo.

Make sure you put a bit of sealant on the areas where the sump touches the main caps. You can see where I mean in your pics above mate.

I've gone with option B!!

I've read that the sump bolts can round pretty easy to round and I don't want that!

I'm gonna fit the new crank seal and flywheel bolts and hope for the best. I've got a new clutch that I need to stick in but I'm not doing that until I know it's not leaking so the box is going to have to come back off anyways!

Have you got any hints about how to actually get the seal in correctly without damaging it? Last time I found it difficult to get the inside edge in as it's narrower at the end your trying to fit first.

Cheers

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I've gone with option B!!

I've read that the sump bolts can round pretty easy to round and I don't want that!

I'm gonna fit the new crank seal and flywheel bolts and hope for the best. I've got a new clutch that I need to stick in but I'm not doing that until I know it's not leaking so the box is going to have to come back off anyways!

Have you got any hints about how to actually get the seal in correctly without damaging it? Last time I found it difficult to get the inside edge in as it's narrower at the end your trying to fit first.

Cheers
Just use a couple of pieces of wood mate. Use them between the seal face and the hammer and apply pressure to the opposite side that your hitting. Then it's a case of keep following it round to make sure you hit each bit of the seal to get it in equally.

Sorry for the w**k description! It's actually quite hard to describe!

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Just use a couple of pieces of wood mate. Use them between the seal face and the hammer and apply pressure to the opposite side that your hitting. Then it's a case of keep following it round to make sure you hit each bit of the seal to get it in equally.

Sorry for the w**k description! It's actually quite hard to describe!

That's cool man cheers.

Is it possible to use the wee white thing that it comes on in the package to slide it over? Do you know the bit I mean?

Was also potentially thinking about cutting the top off a 2L bottle of juice and see what size it is compared to the inside of the seal to try make it a bit easier to slide down! Il be giving it a bash on Monday so here is hoping! Lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That's cool man cheers.

Is it possible to use the wee white thing that it comes on in the package to slide it over? Do you know the bit I mean?

Was also potentially thinking about cutting the top off a 2L bottle of juice and see what size it is compared to the inside of the seal to try make it a bit easier to slide down! Il be giving it a bash on Monday so here is hoping! Lol
That white thing is there just to protect the seal in its packaging mate. You want to be tapping it on the outermost edges when you fit it as well mate.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
It's hard to describe what I mean but the narrowest point of the seal is on the inside edge that points inwards towards the engine. When fitting the seal does this narrow bit have to stay closest to the engine or does it need to kind of fold out when tapping the outside part of the seal?

Many.
It needs to stay in, but as long as its the right seal, it shouldn't be that hard to get it around the crank. Just be careful with it.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Still leaking, pretty f**king fed up with it now.

I've not really had a chance to see what it's dropping but it seems to be more yellowy/orange this time so suspecting it might actually be gearbox oil this time to mix things up abit.

Will have a better look at what it's dropping tomorrow when it's daylight.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Still leaking, pretty f**king fed up with it now.

I've not really had a chance to see what it's dropping but it seems to be more yellowy/orange this time so suspecting it might actually be gearbox oil this time to mix things up abit.

Will have a better look at what it's dropping tomorrow when it's daylight.
Have a sniff of the oil - gearbox oil has a pretty distinct smell to it mate.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Have a sniff of the oil - gearbox oil has a pretty distinct smell to it mate.

I did have a quick whiff but got a bit of a cold just now so will get a mate to smell it lol

Just the sight of oil on the bottom of the box just about made me freak out haha!

Will investigate more tomorrow. Kind of hope it's box oil as this would mean that I managed to get the crank seal on ok! But il wait and see what leaks tomorrow brings!!