ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine oil

clio 172
hi everyone, im new to this forum,

iv not long had my clio 172 and i decided to change the engine oil today, i put 0w40 mobil fully synthetic and now iv got a whining noise, anyone got any ideas on what this could be?

Laguna sport tourer
thats the wrong oil needs to be 5w40 not sure if it would cause a whine from the oil pump etc though???

Laguna sport tourer
0w40 will be fine, the first number is the thickness of the oil at lower temperatures.
I have been told ny an ex renault technician who now works for the AA that 0w will cause more wear on cold starts because the film of oil breaks? im not an expert on oils but im pretty sure he knew what he was talking about

clio
My understanding is that the lower the number the better the protection from cold as it is thinner and less viscous and can move round the engine quicker. The downside is that you may need to top up more often as it can be burned up more easily.

I don't work for renault or the aa tho..

Clio 182
I have been told ny an ex renault technician who now works for the AA that 0w will cause more wear on cold starts because the film of oil breaks? im not an expert on oils but im pretty sure he knew what he was talking about

If that was the case I think Mobil 1 would be in big trouble by now.

only causes a problem on the F4R engine lol I didn't mean all engines, and its only what I was told not what I know

I wander if Mobil 1 say on the label not for 2.0 16v Clios :rasp:
I can imagine what s**te Renault buys in bulk, a big drum of 10w40 part synthetic no doubt so it can be used on a range of cars.
I'm thinking Mobil 1 is slightly better than that :)

Its down to personal choice i guess

clio
In fact renault have just put mobil 1 0w40 in june yesterday. Art least that s what is on the invoice

Laguna sport tourer
In that case I stand corrected :eek:, its just what I have always been told. I guess using 0w40 would quieten down the cold start whine from the oil pump that most of them seem to do

172 cup, Impreza P1
One of the problems with 0w40 oil will be oil pressure and in some cars they will exaggerate oil leaks as they are too thin.

Ph2 Flamer
Was up at JMS on Wednesday and they said 5w 40 fully synth and nothing else. 10w 40 semi ends up boogaring your dephaser apparently. As above Renault don't reccomend 0w so stick with 5w 40.

Was up at JMS on Wednesday and they said 5w 40 fully synth and nothing else. 10w 40 semi ends up boogaring your dephaser apparently. As above Renault don't reccomend 0w so stick with 5w 40.

I wouldn't think 0w40 would bugger it as its thinner

ITB'd MK1

aaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. utter tosh