ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine purchase - what to look for?

CB1N
So I found an used engine for my Clio 172, and I have few issues with it I am not sure about. Previous owner has widened inlet head ports and also the engine block seems to be a bit oily on the right side just below the flywheel bearing... I uploaded some pics he sent me, so what do you reckon of these?

Can you see if the head porting has been done properly and is it a problem if the flywheel bearing on the block is a bit oily (if it is at all, need someone more experienced to look at these photos).

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00039.JPG
    DSC00039.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00042.JPG
    DSC00042.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 86
  Handbuilt 172 Cup/ 1.2 8v
not the easiest photos to give an opinion from, but that porting looks very poor, as if a first timer has just 'had a go.' ask if the head was ported without been taken off the block. if so worry.

be direst in asking the guy what the history of the engine is. has he had it apart and reused damaged seals? etc.

if you cant get answers then really do not touch, out of precaution, to be safe, if you dont know its exact history having being tampered with dont go near. otherwise possible rebuild required.

only my opinion.

CB1N
Guy is selling this engine because he wants to put 197 lump and box to his 172. He said that motor was working perfectly when it was taken out due to problems with gearbox. He also sells a lightened flywheel, racing clutch and a ported inlet manifold which has been matched to this head. All of these are on sale as separate items.

Know it is not ideal but not much choice here in Montenegro....