ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine strengh ??

clio cup 172
hi ,
I have just brought a 2001 clio 172 20 16v, just wondering how strong these engines are ?

What are the internals of a standard engine like ? im just after the general idea of the make up of these, ie crank and rod type .

Also on the management side of things , are the standard ecu's mapable ? or do the need socketing ? or do you guys go for aftermarket stand alone systems?

sorry for the bombardment of questions , but i do like to know whats under my bonnet .

thanks in advance Nick

Lionel Richie
top ends can be dodgy, rare though

bottom end is fine, 7500-7800rpm max rpm

OE ecu can be mapped, go see RS tuning

hi ,
I have just brought a 2001 clio 172 20 16v, just wondering how strong these engines are ?

What are the internals of a standard engine like ? im just after the general idea of the make up of these, ie crank and rod type .

Also on the management side of things , are the standard ecu's mapable ? or do the need socketing ? or do you guys go for aftermarket stand alone systems?

sorry for the bombardment of questions , but i do like to know whats under my bonnet .

thanks in advance Nick

As with any modern motor, forged components, cast pistons. Tolerances are consistent, they have to be as oversize and undersize bearings are not available through renault.

The crank will take just about anything you throw at it within reason, it has nice strong radius fillets with a raised bearing surface. Counter weights are large and strong, a respectable OEM component.

Rods and pistons arent though, the stock engines enemy is rpm and aything above 7500rpm i personally wouldnt bank too much on being bullet proof if your planning on making decent power.

Top end is good, but the valve train is complex and also rpm phobic, the hydro pivots for the radius path followers do not like high rpm, and over 8000rpm you can risk them jumping off the nose of the pivot. Guides are also not the best quality although bronze, valves are also a weak point for anything extreem.

Stock ecu can be both remapped and socketed.

But again, if your doing anything serious, i would junk it for standalone.

http://www.angel-works.co.uk/articles/f4rbuild.php

my article will show your the internals of the engine.