ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine temp wont stop rising

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Right bit of a problem, after pullin a few handbrake turns in a car park tonight my car was totallyl surrounded in thick white smoke coming out theh exhaust i stopped pulled the bonnet open an stepped back just incase. That soon stopped but then 10 minutes later (After sitting there checking everything out) i noticed the engine temp was nearly on full an the fan wasnt kicking in.

At the minute the oil level is about an inch over the max mark on the dipstick, i have never filled it up so god knows how its got there but how do i solve that problem.

So theres oil all over me engine bay being pissed out of everyhole possible at the moment. the fan just didnt seem to start at all. i had a look an everything was plugged in, cleaned all the plugs going into the radiator and fan and they were fine!

Anyone any idea?

my fan stopped working in my converted 2001 1.2/182 took it down to k tec it was a relay took k tec 2 sec's to sort out hope that helps otherwise i have not a clue. sorry mate. hope you get it sorted.

mandeep

Titanium 182
Bit of a daft thing to do really wasn't it ? lol

the phrase "Asking for trouble" could be used here, its a car enthusiasts site and as such i would have thought its members would treat there cars with respect.

williams 2 turbo
take the oil filler cap off. if it looks like hellmans have set a factory up in it your screwed. , also check the water resovoir, it may be empty or have oil in it. if so your screwed. both equal head gasket, so its a head off, skim, full clean out, new gaskets etc, have fun.

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
learn from experience. fix the headgasket and dont take any short cuts. head off
new gaskets and refit properly. dont forget to get it skimmed unless you want to do it all again in a few weeks / months. possible replace the thermostat also.

does the heater still work ?

Mk1 Maxim Sport

the phrase "Asking for trouble" could be used here, its a car enthusiasts site and as such i would have thought its members would treat there cars with respect.

get off ur high horse sunshine,

dont know what the problem was but i drained the oil out today and refilled to the proper level and it seems to be fine now cheers for all the help though. A mate said it may be the head gasket last nite but we all had a look and couldnt see anything wrong, the engine was still workin fine and on the way home the temp dropped right the way down.

i have never filled the oil up since i bought the car as it was always at the max mark but somehow there was more than a litre of extra oil init!!!

It was at a garage last week so there the only suspects but if it wasnt them im clueless as to how that got in there. Ahh well its sorted now cheers guys.

Titanium 182

If people like you didnt "handbrake turn" around car parks and generally add to antisocial behaviour then my generation wouldnt be going through as much bad press as we have been recently, nor would i have to adopt a "high horse" position. Plus i think owning a car is a big responsibility that should be taken seriously which obviously you dont.

I think you should go back to nursing your semi over your collection of asbos.

Oh and while your at it get your head gasket looked at... "Sunshine"
x

Mk1 Maxim Sport

If people like you didnt "handbrake turn" around car parks and generally add to antisocial behaviour then my generation wouldnt be going through as much bad press as we have been recently, nor would i have to adopt a "high horse" position. Plus i think owning a car is a big responsibility that should be taken seriously which obviously you dont.

I think you should go back to nursing your semi over your collection of asbos.

Oh and while your at it get your head gasket looked at... "Sunshine"
x

Head gasket has been looked at and is fine, turns out it was oil (cause there was too much in it) dripping on the exhaust which was causing all the smoke.

Sorry mate but everyone does it whether ull admit to it or not i aint arsed. OUR generation is going through so much bad press cause there are a lot of nob eads out there yeh but i aint one of em pal u dont even know me. It was a car park in the middle of nowhere on an industrial estate. No1 around, no houses, cars nothing so i wernt causing a nuisance. And i only did the one an then the problem happened.

I aint never been in trouble with the bizzies an not ad no asbos so i dont know who u think you are stereotypin me like that u gobby little b*****d.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Right bit of a problem, after pullin a few handbrake turns in a car park tonight my car was totallyl surrounded in thick white smoke coming out theh exhaust i stopped pulled the bonnet open an stepped back just incase. That soon stopped but then 10 minutes later (After sitting there checking everything out) i noticed the engine temp was nearly on full an the fan wasnt kicking in.

At the minute the oil level is about an inch over the max mark on the dipstick, i have never filled it up so god knows how its got there but how do i solve that problem.

So theres oil all over me engine bay being pissed out of everyhole possible at the moment. the fan just didnt seem to start at all. i had a look an everything was plugged in, cleaned all the plugs going into the radiator and fan and they were fine!

Anyone any idea?

Just the one? lol

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Anyone any idea?

Just the one? lol

Lmfao OWNED ;)

Mk2 1.2 Campus
I know what he means though, not really doing any harm if there's no-one around and I know loads of people do it

Are you sure there wasn't water in your oil? Sounds strange that you've magicly created an extra litre of oil from somewhere. Have you lost approximatly the same amount of coolant?

If everything's working fine now and the car has managed to create a litre of oil, I think you might have found a solution to our depleting sources of fossil fuels....

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Are you sure there wasn't water in your oil? Sounds strange that you've magicly created an extra litre of oil from somewhere. Have you lost approximatly the same amount of coolant?

If everything's working fine now and the car has managed to create a litre of oil, I think you might have found a solution to our depleting sources of fossil fuels....

lol i said that to one of me mates today, think me engine produces oil on its own. Iv not thought about that tbh mate, last week when i first noticed there was too much oil the coolant was nearly empty. Topped that up an its stayed full. emptied the oil earlier and its stayed at the same level.

Last night wen it was smoking i looked at the oil and it did look very thin and watery if u know what i mean, does that mean the coolant somehow got into the oil?? what damage can that cause?? its not no more but just wondering.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
I know what he means though, not really doing any harm if there's no-one around and I know loads of people do it

Exactly, someone speaks sense!

And i agree to the above comment handbrake turns ftmfw!!!

Its great when u can do them properly an they look good (until ur engine starts pouring smoke out lol)

lol i said that to one of me mates today, think me engine produces oil on its own. Iv not thought about that tbh mate, last week when i first noticed there was too much oil the coolant was nearly empty. Topped that up an its stayed full. emptied the oil earlier and its stayed at the same level.

Last night wen it was smoking i looked at the oil and it did look very thin and watery if u know what i mean, does that mean the coolant somehow got into the oil?? what damage can that cause?? its not no more but just wondering.

It is possible to get transfer of fluids between the oil and water systems if you've got a head gasket gone or a crack in the engine somewhere. I'm wondering if maybe you've got an intermittent thermostat which failed to kick in and then as the engine got hot the expansion in the engine from the heat might have opened up a small gap somewhere. Then with the coolant being really hot and therefore probably at a higher pressure than your oil, some of it passed through the gap into the oilways. It maybe that at normal operating temps and with thermostat working you'd never see a problem. If the thermostat fails to work again you may see a repeat of the symptoms.

I'm not really much of an expert on engines tho tbh so that's just an educated guess at best. Hopefully one of the proper technical guys can come in and comment.

I aint never been in trouble with the bizzies an not ad no asbos so i dont know who u think you are stereotypin me like that u gobby little b*****d.

Don't get all stressed mate. People who do handbrake turns to impress there mates, are usually show-offs. I guess you were on your own?

I would still suggest you get it checked over by a pro. Sounds like you have water mixing with oil..... making the level rise?

Last edited:
  ValverInBits
so what was the smoke about then? You had too much oil in it and some pissed out? You need a new rad fan switch by the sounds of it. When was oil and coolant last done and did the coolant get bled properly?
Could well be a headgasket, hope your head/block isnt warped too much.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Well when a emptied the oil yesterday there was an extra litre of oil in the engine and it was goign everywhere so me mate (the mechanic) reckons that when the oil was hittin the exhaust pipe it was igniting and thats what was smoking, he reckons i was lucky for the engine not to go bang.

The oil was done yesterday and the coolant not so long ago. the coolant was done properly yes.

and to answer Black-Clio-1.4. no i wasnt on my own i was wiv a few of me mates with their cars an we were all doin them just for a bit of a laff. a mate had problem with his old m reg calibra aswel after them so wasnt a very good night all round.