ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EPAS conversion question

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Evening all,
As above, I have 90% of the parts to convert my 182 including the dci rack, obviously a used part and the track rods and track rod ends look tired so my question is:
Do OEM 182 track rods and track rod ends fit the DCI rack so I can do a simple refresh?
Thanks in advance

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty sure I used standard ones on my 172

Have you checked the epas thread?
Thanks. I've just got the rack and was hoping it wasn't pissing down today so I could get under the car for comparison.
You think you put 172 TRE's straight on your DCI rack?
Cheers

Is this thread asking about converting EPAS to HPAS? Or vice versa? The former I could understand, the latter (going from what motoring journalists think) I couldn't...

monaco 172
Is this thread asking about converting EPAS to HPAS? Or vice versa? The former I could understand, the latter (going from what motoring journalists think) I couldn't...

He's converting from hpas to epas. Not sure why, but a lot of people do it.

Assuming its one less thing for the aux setup to power?

He's converting from hpas to epas. Not sure why, but a lot of people do it.

Assuming its one less thing for the aux setup to power?
Strange... Everything I've read talks about how EPAS gives less steering feel than HPAS, so I'm not quite sure why anyone would do it!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Strange... Everything I've read talks about how EPAS gives less steering feel than HPAS, so I'm not quite sure why anyone would do it!

You can use a controller to add weight to the steering to get more feel.

It's a lot more reliable for cars that get used a lot on track.

The dci rack is solid mounted to the subframe as well, so no rack bushes to wear out.

You can use a controller to add weight to the steering to get more feel.

It's a lot more reliable for cars that get used a lot on track.

The dci rack is solid mounted to the subframe as well, so no rack bushes to wear out.

I'm not convinced that weight=feel lol but thanks for the info, I didn't know much about it! :)

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
As a few have confirmed I'm converting to EPAS in my mainly trackday car for 3 reasons:
- Reliability (drive to and from tracks)
- Adjustability, I'm led to believe you can almost turn all assistance off.
- Weight saving/ space in eng Bay.
Cheers

One of the reasons is the power steering fluid boils/over flows from the bottle when on track.
It can drip on to the front nearside tyre

As a few have confirmed I'm converting to EPAS in my mainly trackday car for 3 reasons:
- Reliability (drive to and from tracks)
- Adjustability, I'm led to believe you can almost turn all assistance off.
- Weight saving/ space in eng Bay.
Cheers

I was going to say, surely one could just remove the HPAS and seal the rack properly?

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
I was going to say, surely one could just remove the HPAS and seal the rack properly?
I think some have done it that way and it would eliminate any reliability issues but non assisted steering even in a tiny Clio I think would be very hard work if you had to tackle any slow lock to lock manoeuvres.