ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Epas rack stiffness?

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
With the EPAS rack only being held on via two bolts instead of the 4 found on a hydraulic rack, would anyone say there’s a reduction in stiffness from that point.

I have had the wishbones plated and the subframe stiffened so seems silly to sacrifice rigidity here.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
I have an epas rack (270LocktoLock), and honestly I don't feel it not being stiff. I use it on my track toy, equipped with full AST 5100 suspension, lsd, sticky tires, shorter final drive, strong engine with ITBs and surely it does not feel flimsy.
I usually use it with very little aid from electric motor.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Cheers chaps! Just the two bolt mounting compared to the 4 of the standard rack.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Cheers chaps! Just the two bolt mounting compared to the 4 of the standard rack.
Don't focus on bolt count. Standard use 4 bolts because it use 2x 2bolt clamps to have the rack and subframe separated by rubber bushes.. that's why 4bolt clamps.
In fact, you can upgrade those bushes with stiffer powerflex units.
Steering rack does not work on twisting or anithing else.. it does just an axial push pulll job. So its not in danger of being ripped of the subframe or get into weird twisting..