ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ESP gave up...!

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
My 182 went into 'If you going to try and defy the laws of Physics/Gravity, Then your on your own!' mode this morning!

I was having a bit of fun in the rain. Approached a roundabout a bit to quick and had to brake heavy. The back end went really light and stepped out.. tried to get it back but over compensated and ended up snaking on the exit all over the place! I managed to keep control (if u can call it that..).

Anyway.. ESP gave up and the dash lit up like a christmas tree! ESP light was flashing and a couple of others came on including a green gear stick?? What dose that mean? LOL!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
green gearstick is the "oh s**t unless you change gear now i'm going to go bang" light.

DarthCake said:
green gearstick is the "oh sh*t unless you change gear now i'm going to go bang" light.

lol..............good way of expression , u r reaching maximum capacity in that gear :race:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If the ESP light was flashing, it hadn't given up...it was saving your ass.

And the green gear light...did you panic and press all three pedals at once...sending the revs sky high?

BMW M3
Yep... flashes when saving your bacon as i found out to my relief down a twisty camber part of the A68.

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
It wasn't on the limiter..? never noticed it when I've bounced it off the limiter and I've done that a few times..

I didn't want to changed or lift off as I would have defo spun. Glad it was early and not much traffic as I used all 3 lanes to get it straght!

R35 GTR
sounds like you were lucky mate, why did you brake hard? Probably would have been better off the brakes, thats what fucked you.

Brakes seem to be the instant reaction to going too fast. An FWD could've pulled out of it, but it easier said than done in the circumstances. I would've probably done the same. Not like I can speed in a 1.2 lol

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Crikey, ESP certainly saved your bacon mate! ESP is a great thing, i did pretty much the same as you, and ESP saved my arse. I thought i was going to go over the round about, but ESP clawed me round it some-how ;)

Just learn from this mate!

Tyson.

NONE
thank god for esp!!!! if it wasnt for that you would have had half a car left and you would of been badly injured or dead. dont press all three pedals wither or else you wil get a big bang in your engine or you wil lose the transmission!

glad your ok though and you still got an intact car! just dont speed up to that roundabout again and that will not happen again :rofl: or else you will get a nice :bump:in your car

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
ESP deffo saved you there mate! ESP wont stop you spinning if your doing something silly in the wet, its not fool proof! I had a bit of a scare in black ice over the winter, back end came round on me on a 30mph corner, ESP kicked in, felt like the abs judder feel and definately saved me. Gear change light probly meant you went into panic mode, keep calm next time!

ESP & ABS are driving AID'S not a replacement for common sense. They will lessen or save you when you make a minor mistake but they wont help you if you are driving like a ringpiece or dont input the right corrections when the car gets out of shape.

R35 GTR
Roy Munson said:
Sounds like the ESP saved your bacon. Be under no illusions about your role in recovering the car.

I see no prickiness in this comment . Most people on the road are under the illusion they can drive really well. I have no illusions and try and drive to within my limits, not the cars.

ant

yep.
mine hasn't got it but it would be interesting to see when/where it was helping me out at times if i did have :)

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
i found the joys of lift-off oversteer in my little 1.2, do they have esp? ive found if it goes a bit too sideway just give the loud peddal a poke and it sorts it out

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Roy Munson said:
Sounds like the ESP saved you, not your skills

Roy- I didn't say at any point that my "Skills" saved me, what I ment when I said 'I managed to keep it under control' was that I didn't hit anything.. now I'm not great with maths but I'd say the car was at a 30 degree angle, so your saying the ESP would have saved me if I'd let go of the wheel??

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
I had to brake heavy because of my speed, and carried on braking to far into the roundabout, which mixed with the wet road caused the back end to snap. I'm used 2 a car with a longer wheel base and less power.. only had the 182 three weeks.

I didn't panic or press all the peddals.. LOL! I just kept the power on to pull me straght.

And yes I did call myself a tw*t and have learned a lesson since..

Last edited:
  insignia
ha ha you know....you have to be going fast round a corner to get that esp light on,s**t me up a few times it has.

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
If you are going round a corner and the esp lights up then you are taking the corner far too quickly. The car will be out of balance and thats how come you see car size holes in hedges!! If you are taking a right hand bend to quick, all of the cars weight and grip is transferred to the front left wheel. That means that you have bugger all grip on the other 3 wheels. I didnt believe it either till I did my advanced response driver course.
Plus, on some corners. What happens if someone is broken down just round the bend and you go tanking into it? I never use my ESP on my 182 Cup, as I make sure the car is balanced and read the road conditions and brake early if needs be.

R35 GTR
you must have been going way too f**king fast mate. I had a stoopid moment once where I used all the ABS and brakes had to offer stopping from around 70 to 0 and landed around 6 inches from a guys bumper who was sat in traffic. The brakes on these cars are awesome!!! You must have been tanking it to not have enough time to slow down, even in the wet.

Hope you learnt your lesson.

I love getting the tyres squeelling on the small islands round by me, but i only go round at 30. I feel it's best to f**k about at slow speeds, or fast on an airfield.lol.:eek:

R35 GTR
inferno cup said:
If you are going round a corner and the esp lights up then you are taking the corner far too quickly. The car will be out of balance and thats how come you see car size holes in hedges!! If you are taking a right hand bend to quick, all of the cars weight and grip is transferred to the front left wheel. That means that you have bugger all grip on the other 3 wheels. I didnt believe it either till I did my advanced response driver course.
Plus, on some corners. What happens if someone is broken down just round the bend and you go tanking into it? I never use my ESP on my 182 Cup, as I make sure the car is balanced and read the road conditions and brake early if needs be.

I am not too confident with the renault esp , but the racelogic traction control system or equivalent may give good results for ppl like me that cant drive, or am I being silly?

Dave, best thing mate is to drive to the conditions. If its wet then brake early. All the driver aids that are on cars are okay. But I think the best avoidance system is the driver. Electronics are good, but I would rather rely on my skills at avoiding a situation, than the skills of the computer at getting you out.

cliobuyer said:
No need to be a prick about it, is there?

Dont be a spanner. The ESP light was flashing. Ergo the system was active and saving the OPs ass. It didnt 'give up' as the thread title implies. No further questions :clown:

172 Cup
Who needs ESP :p The green gear stick light is the optimum gear change signal. I've read that in the Clio brochure (I think).

R35 GTR
inferno cup said:
Dave, best thing mate is to drive to the conditions. If its wet then brake early. All the driver aids that are on cars are okay. But I think the best avoidance system is the driver. Electronics are good, but I would rather rely on my skills at avoiding a situation, than the skills of the computer at getting you out.

I always take it easy in wet, i think i take it easy most of the time, compared to most of the experienced drivers on here who know the limits.

My brown pants moments are probably every day things for other people.

I am going for advanced driving courses and want to do a few hours on a skid pan after i finish uni.

you have got the right idea mate:race: You learn alot on the skid pan and how to tell what sort of a slide is happening and how to recover it. Plus, you get taught how to really drive. As the basic driving test teaches you the very very basics.