ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ESP - what does it do

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 05 April 2005

To be 100% honest here.

the 182 has scared me twice. both times were down to the esp sticking the rear brakes on for "no" reason.

1st time was in a car park at a cs meet (it was wet but nothing major and i was doing 20mph) Caused me to spin!!

2nd time was on a roundabout, again rear brakes were used.

I hate it. did i mention it was sh*t?

that doesnt sound right at all Tom.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 05 April 2005
<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">To be 100% honest here.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">the 182 has scared me twice. both times were down to the esp sticking the rear brakes on for "no" reason.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">1st time was in a car park at a cs meet (it was wet but nothing major and i was doing 20mph) Caused me to spin!!<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">2nd time was on a roundabout, again rear brakes were used.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">I hate it. did i mention it was sh*t?

Tom, I really do think you got an oversensitive version on yours as mine has never done anything like that and I give mine a lot to moan about all the time, I evern drove Spa with it on and it didnt interfere!

Mine is very good and doesnt get intvolved until really needed

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 05 April 2005
Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 05 April 2005Why dont they fit it to performance cars like the V6? ;)[/QUOTE]Or Mk1 172s...?:D

wasnt introduced until late in the 172 MKIIs life so thats why it wasnt on MKI, but the V6 is a current car so why not on that?

Dave, I think it DOES, even though the light may not come on, Im sure its reducing throttle openings coming out of bends etc.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by MarkCup on 05 April 2005
I had the Ford version on my Mondeo and it was noticeable how much it got in the way if I ever forgot to turn it off.Theres roundabouts passing Chichester that are badly "dished" like a little ramp as you exit left. With TC enabled, it would ease off and brake for you as you went over it, even though the front wasnt moving out enough to be any trouble.Without it on, the wheels chirp, and you carry on at the same speed. So...does ESP slow the car down;Getting off the line? Yes, definitely.Once rolling and beyond the point of spinning? No difference at all.While getting a little out of shape at sane speeds on empty clear-sighted roads? YES! Its a pain in the arse. ;)

[Edited by MarkCup on 05 April 2005 at 7:34pm]

think you are mixing up esp and traction reading your post, esp is not cming in when moving off from a standstill, thats traction, as is not giving you full power when under 5k moving through the gears, while youa re moving and turning at the same time and lose traction, that is when esp comes in. Its just both are turned off by the esp button.

dk

911 GTS Cab

this explains it in american
ABS/ESP

Imagine the scenario; you�re driving along a road in the rain and you enter a sharp turn too quickly causing the rear end to slip out. What do you do? Most of us will brake and attempt to steer the car back on course, an action that can cause the car to spin out of control even faster.

Now imagine that your car is fitted with an innovative new �yaw rate sensing� system. As you enter that sharp turn your car is being monitored every fraction of a second by an array of sensors. At the heart of these is the GYRING� developed by Silicon Sensing.

The output from these sensors allows on-board computers to calculate where you want to go and where the vehicle is actually heading. As your car starts to skid, before you even notice, the stability system will automatically bring the car back on course.

Firstly, the braking action on each individual wheel is controlled, (as if you had four feet to apply four brake pedals). Secondly, the engine output is automatically adjusted. All you are aware of is that your car continues to drive around the bend and you get home safely.

In physical terms, skidding is simply a rotation of the vehicle about its vertical axis. The faster this rotation, the greater the skidding movement and the greater the risk of an accident. In order to measure this movement, a yaw rate sensor or gyro is required. The complete system is known by a number of different terms according to the manufacturer who is offering it. Some of the most common are Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC).

So, what is the difference between ESP and ABS or Traction Control? ABS and Traction Control work only in the axis along the length of the vehicle to prevent wheel lock up and assist straight line braking. ESP assesses the behaviour of the vehicle and the driver during cornering, correcting the vehicle motion to match the driver�s input.

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 05 April 2005

Thats because its sh*t...he already said :D

yeah but I meant as what Dave says, mine has never caused a skid like Tom describes or caused any problems in itself.

;)

I reckon hes making it up cos he tried to a handy and f**ked it right up and spun a 180 into a concrete pillar?

Yaris Hybrid

I have had mine drifting sideways and the ESP did not come on.

The only time the traction control comes on is in the wet in first gear as you go past 5000rpm.

In the dry and in second gear onwards the traction control never comes on unless I am going over 5000rpm in second whilst taking a sharp turn.

The 182 just isnt powerful enough for it to be kicking in once you have got out of 1st gear in the dry. I dont ever put my foot down until I am in second anyway, doing standing starts is just too hard on the clutch and tyres.

dk

911 GTS Cab

you just arent getting it are you toypop, please do read the last paragraph of my text above:

So, what is the difference between ESP and ABS or Traction Control? ABS and Traction Control work only in the axis along the length of the vehicle to prevent wheel lock up and assist straight line braking. ESP assesses the behaviour of the vehicle and the driver during cornering, correcting the vehicle motion to match the driver�s input.

traction control in a straight line, esp when turning, you can have traction without ESP but not ESP without traction.

You arent to know when the traction is working as the light comes on for ESP intervention normally, trust me you will get a bigger kick at 5k with it on, it truly is holding back on you below 5k when on.

thats why when you turn it off, the car feels more responsive, its not your imagination

Yaris Hybrid

Ah so the light doesnt come on when you say wheelspin in a straight line and the TC cuts in?

Funnily enough I cant remember if I have seen it come on in that situation like when wheel spinning in a straight line in the wet.

I can only remember seeing the light when accelerating off a roundabout, in that situation the car was starting to understeer as you can imagine.

So you are saying the TC is subtly slowing me down in a straight line but not so much that I notice it really kicking in and also the light wont come on in that situation either?

Toypop, at the risk of encouraging you to crash your car, give it a good leathering on a good bit of road with the ESP off. If it doesnt feel faster then Ill eat my hat. In corner throttle response is electrifying with it turned off, and the whole car just feels faster imho.

The ESP triangle should be lit up, meaning its off, it should be a picture of a handbag with a line through it :D

Yaris Hybrid

I am going to try it, I have only ever driven with it off briefly, dont like pressing buttons in the Clio for fear things get stuck on/off etc! It does get on my nerves coming off roundabouts I have to admit.

So does the ESP light come on when the TC only cuts in?

dk

911 GTS Cab

no, the esp light is only for esp intervention afaik but yes, TC is working in the back ground as it is part of ESP but the button is for the ESP, which includes the traction, so turn one off and the other goes too, but if you want full acceleration, turn the esp off which will turn the traction off and give you full control of everything without the car butting in, I guess it depends on how intrusive your esp is to how much it will affect you, as we have found out, the difference between Toms and mine seems to be great as his gets on his nerves and mine doesnt really bother me ever.

You may still get the esp light coming on when flooring it in a straight line though through torque steer but you are also using traction.

Basically, if you want full control of the car without it stealing your power and braking wheels when you dont want it to take it off, if you are like me and need it as a safety net for when you are driving like a tw*t and the light flashing calms you down then keep it on unless you are on a track or 1/4 miling.

[Edited by dave182 on 4/5/2005 10:15:09 PM]