ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Euro 172 2008 Revamp thread...

I love all these projects going on, some superb ideas and quality work been shown by various members.

As most know ive done a lot to mine over the last 2 and half years, this car was bought totally standard and ive tinkered and tried out different ideas, more in hope of creating a talking point for our business. Ive loved doing all the work myself, apart from a few bits. I didnt want a cheque book car where its all done for you. The hands on approach is what makes car modding interesting. Knowing you've spent countless nights doing things to it makes the end product all the more satisfying in my eyes.

Some may like my car, some may not. All i know is its unique, puts a massive smile on my face everytime i see it and gets appeciation from other drivers, so ive achieved what i set out to do.

Im doing a load more to it for the forthcoming show season, im creating this thread to document my 'revamp', so that others can see whats going on. Im not creating one on the whole build as it would take me long time.

So i hope you read with interest, ill keep this thread updated with pics and text.

Enjoy

Last edited:
The stereo i fitted originally was huge, and i removed it when i fitted my cage.

Ive missed having some quality sounds going on so i set out in search of a nice install that looked OEM and wasnt too showy.

I bought some 6.5" Infinity Kappa componants which are superb, have massive power handling (330w peak) and set about creating some MDF speaker baffles to fit them on. Ive done this in an afternoon, trimmed them in the same material ive used in the rest of my interior. The sound it creates now is immense even off the Alpine headunit, and will sound even better once ive connected up the amp.

Made from half inch MDF, ive sanded them down to create a contoured edge, and screwed them right into the metal door with countersunk screws then trimmed over them.

Im really pleased, as i didnt want showy fibreglass builds and these follow the theme of the car.

Pics:

DSC01105.jpg

DSC01107.jpg

DSC01113.jpg

DSC01115.jpg

DSC01116.jpg

DSC01120.jpg

DSC01122.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

not finished yet, will post pics of the finished thing tomorrow hopefully

Last edited:
ive got a Clarion Addzest 4 x 100w amp im using in the install, it was looking a bit sorry for itself, and i wanted to give it a new lease of life, as its a very good heavy amp that has some superb features.

I dismantled it, masked off the inside so the heat transfer points were not powdercoated over and the heatsink still absorbs heat. And sent it to our powdercoaters for a nice coat of white, the reason for which will be seen soon when it goes in.

DSC01095.jpg

DSC01090.jpg

DSC01092.jpg

DSC01099.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

Mustang, S13, AX GT
nice one. hopefully some of the members will get a close up view if you come over to a nw meet again mate

80MPG BEEZA
might have found it easier to make fibreglass covered in material for the door speakers to give a nice shape, just make an mdf speaker ring, use dowelling rod and the original speaker grill to place the speaker ring where you want it from the door card, cover it in a nice stretchy fabric and staple from behind, fibreglass, cut speaker whole back out (remove fibreglass) quick skim of filler and a light sand and wrap in a material of your choice - alacantara.

gives a really good quality finish and really isnt that much work then the speaker mount is also removable like the oe grill :)

i do have about 5-6 ice show wins under my belt :) only 2 trophies but my first year with my clio i bagged around £2k in prizes :)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
might have found it easier to make fibreglass covered in material for the door speakers to give a nice shape, just make an mdf speaker ring, use dowelling rod and the original speaker grill to place the speaker ring where you want it from the door card, cover it in a nice stretchy fabric and staple from behind, fibreglass, cut speaker whole back out (remove fibreglass) quick skim of filler and a light sand and wrap in a material of your choice - alacantara.

gives a really good quality finish and really isnt that much work then the speaker mount is also removable like the oe grill :)

i do have about 5-6 ice show wins under my belt :) only 2 trophies but my first year with my clio i bagged around £2k in prizes :)

can i ask what format the comps were in?

i also have a number of trophys hehe, but mine are for being loud not an SQ fairy :p

Never attempted anything like that, what ive created here is ideal for what i wanted, i can replace the original grilles as i havent damaged the door card, and they only took an afternoon..

Ill post pics of the finished thing later today.

80MPG BEEZA
you really should give it a bash its way easier then it looks or sounds i made a whole fibreglass boot build 2 alpine subs facing in with countersunk amp with perspex shield with vent in to let air out, doesnt cost much to do either!

80MPG BEEZA

can i ask what format the comps were in?

i also have a number of trophys hehe, but mine are for being loud not an SQ fairy :p

3 were for best ICE
2 were for car of the show
1 was for "show n shine"

heres the finished result, im really pleased with them, the 6.5" makes a lot of difference over the standard 5.25" speakers.

Ive flushed the tweeters into the original grilles by cutting the OEM covers to allow fitment, these swivel so i can point them in any direction.

dsc01135.jpg

dsc01143.jpg

dsc01127.jpg

Last edited:
ive removed the original stainless CAF i fitted and had it powdercoated black, this is lot more subtle.

You'll notice ive took the cage out, more will be revealed soon... :)

dsc01154.jpg

dsc01167.jpg

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Can't stress how much better the black CAF looks!

The speaker bit is as well done as you could do...but still a bit "Bodged!" Sounds picky but the alacantra doesn't match and sticks out a bit much!

But, al hell of a good job considering. (Really like the colour coded door...bits.)
Only euro car i like...

The speaker bit is as well done as you could do...but still a bit "Bodged!" Sounds picky but the alacantra doesn't match and sticks out a bit much!

But, al hell of a good job considering.
Only euro car i like...

I agree with the CAF.

Bodged? lol. I dont think so.

I didnt want to pay £70 sqm for alcantara, this is nearly identical in looks, and costs a lot less. Ive used the same material in the whole car and when you see the finished result you'll understand. :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

But, al hell of a good job considering.
Only euro car i like...

I agree with the CAF.

Bodged? lol. I dont think so.

I didnt want to pay £70 sqm for alcantara, this is nearly identical in looks, and costs a lot less. Ive used the same material in the whole car and when you see the finished result you'll understand. :)

Suppose! In an ideal world if you could mould that whole bit into one it would look amazing...but cost is natually an issue.

need to give you a bell about those spacers come to think of it...

call me whenever you like bud.

The way ive done these is to keep the OEM feel, and i can simply unscrew them, fit the original speakers and grilles and its back to stock.

I dont want all the hassle of creating door cards and moulds out of fibreglass. This way looks very similar and looks OEM. Both front doors are covered in Dynamat extreme so the sound is nice and punchy.

NJ.

525i, 66' Bug, Civic
645D, GAS'D

lol nevermind

Know you didnt copy found it yesturday where i park my car at college

Love this car, think it is my dream car now lol :p and the smooth boot is mint how did u do that? and did it take alot of work ?

Last edited:
was done by a bodyshop i use. Worth paying good money to get the finish ive got imo.

The boot is popped via a solenoid i fitted.

b/g 182, meg tourer
car looks great russ.
love the colour coded plactic interior bits! great all round car. well done mate :)
keep us updated

Black Gold Trophy
without wanting to piss on your bonfire mate, I think you could have created a much better 'OEM' look with your stereo install if you had fitted some components that sit behind the standard grilles. The exterior of the car is done to such a high standard that it seems a shame that the ICE install lets it down with the amateur looking speaker builds.
Dont get me wrong im not slagging the car off, the styling looks fantastic, I just think you could do a better job of the stereo.

without wanting to piss on your bonfire mate, I think you could have created a much better 'OEM' look with your stereo install if you had fitted some components that sit behind the standard grilles. The exterior of the car is done to such a high standard that it seems a shame that the ICE install lets it down with the amateur looking speaker builds.
Dont get me wrong im not slagging the car off, the styling looks fantastic, I just think you could do a better job of the stereo.

Well i like to tackle everything myself, im happy enough for now. If I feel like they let it down ill consider your criticism. However the install isnt finished yet, so await the results :)

without wanting to piss on your bonfire mate, I think you could have created a much better 'OEM' look with your stereo install if you had fitted some components that sit behind the standard grilles.

you cant fit 6.5" behind the standard grilles. Ive had 5.25 componants in there that i replaced with these, the sound is twice as good and they look better.

thanks you.

right another update.

We are fitting a 10" sub in the wheel well. Having spoke to an audio installer ive decided to build mine out of fibreglass using the entire literage of the wheel well. This will give an amazing sound once its complete, the fibreglass mould will be built up with layers of sound deadening and layers of fibreglass.

Heres how far we got tonight, ill post more pics when its finished.

dsc1202.jpg

dsc1204.jpg

dsc1206.jpg

dsc1226.jpg

dsc1229.jpg

dsc1232.jpg

more to follow :)