ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

European Trip and the Nurburgring!

Two cars, 3 mates and 9 countries in week! What an awesome trip that was!

Started with an epic 500+ mile drive from Nottingham to the Nurburgring on Friday morning! We got up bright and early to find the Ring closed until 6pm for GT Racing which turned into 'Closed for the day!' However we were up early again and with loads of waiting around for various closures due to crashes (some very bad ones involving bikers!) we managed to get our 8 laps in between us!

ClioRing5.jpg

ClioRing4.jpg

ClioRing3.jpg

I drove 3 laps in the Clio and was of course superb fun! There was definitely some brake fade after pushing hard for 16 kilometres even if most other cars were overtaking us! I also let my mate do a lap which was probably the scariest of the lot. He was taking it very easy but passengering in your own car round the Ring feels very odd! I also did a pax lap with another mate in his Z4, roof down at the very end of the day on a virtually deserted track! Wish I hasn't used up all my laps by then!

I did see a few other Clios at the Ring, but with the only Racing Blue car there I certainly attracted plenty of photographers!

Next up was Austria and a night in Innsbruck. It was a fair old drive with plenty of motorways, but our plan to try and save some fuel by doing 70 seemed to work well! Stereo cranked up, cruising through some stunning scenery and finished off with a great mountain road to Innsbruck where I duly scratched my rear wheel on a raised kerb!

Innsbruck.jpg

After a good night out in a student bar, we were off to some proper roads in the Alps! Next stop the Stelvio Pass! Plenty of 1st gear hairpins and screaming off up the road, but as a driving road we sensed there were much better to come! The punchy 182 engine helped to keep up with the 3.0 Z4 too! The sat nav definitely brought us onto some very random roads like the farm track below, but it was great fun!

CountryLane.jpg

RubbishMountains.jpg

We headed off the Stelvio and through various mountains to an overnight stop in Davos. En route we had a bit of an Italian Job moment! A local in a Megane CC was tailgating me and eventually forced his way through! The next 20 miles of twisting Alpine roads, overtaking cattle trucks through corners and tyre smoking down mountains were one of the best drives of the trip! The local guy was a lunatic and his car stank of brakes/tyres/clutch/scared lady passenger when we finally reached Davos (ahead of him!)

Another day and on to Basel with plenty more Alpine entertainment with the San Bernardino and Susten Passes to enjoy! For me both of these were so much better than the Stelvio! My mate drove the first leg of the San Bernardino and it was so good that we turned round so I could have a go too!

SanBernardinoPass2.jpg

SanBernardinoPass8.jpg

The Susten Pass wasn't on the original route, but we made good time heading for Basel so we thought why not! What a stunning road, scenery like Lord of the Rings and a ribbon of tarmac clinging to the mountainside through straights, hairpins and tunnels where the induction roar of the 182 drowned out the Z4! We even had some attention from the police at the top, luckily nothing bad ;)

TopofSusten.jpg

PoliceonSusten.jpg

Our final day's driving was quite dull, a long motorway stretch to Brussels for what turned out to be an epic night out! 9% beer on an empty stomach till the early hours was always going to give a massive hangover, but an even bigger surprise came in the morning when my mate turned up with two 19 year old blondes and their luggage! We left England with 3 passengers and came back with 5!

An epic trip and highly recommended to anyone! Even more amazingly having done 2200 miles with an average of 44mph I somehow managed 37.2 MPG! Every little helps! The front tyres have some interesting wear now and the brake pads are a bit buggered, but for a £5k hatchback the 182 did an amazing job of the Euro Trip!

CruisingontheMotorway.jpg

CruisingontheMotorway1.jpg

:)
We'll definitely be having another go next year! Maybe a longer route if we can and hopefully some more hot blonde passengers next time!

It's the only way to do it! Car looks like it's been off-roading now so it'll need a proper detail! Anyone in the Midlands know a good detailer? :)

Mk2 V6 255
Awesome pics!! I was at the ring at the same time as u, and remember seeing your car. Dont know why i didnt pop up a spotted post?!?!? lol

Stelvio pass is a must for me either this year or next

DB.

BMW 440i
Sounds like an ace trip mate, i plan on doing this next year aswell :)

Pics of blondes needed though...

Nimbus 197
"2200 miles with an average of 44mph I somehow managed 37.2 MPG!" I don't dare think what the 197 would average on that sort of trip.....

Sounds like a good week, serious jealousy here.

SG9 Forester STi
Also hoping to do this sort of trip next year, full of jealousy lol, looks like you had a great time!

Nimbus 197
What an adventure! You will have to show me some roads to visit, planning a similar trip for next summer :)

130i Road, 172 Track
Awesome! Super jealous of you lot in the UK... We could drive for a week here & only pass through 2 states!

Awesome pics!! I was at the ring at the same time as u, and remember seeing your car. Dont know why i didnt pop up a spotted post?!?!? lol

Stelvio pass is a must for me either this year or next

We're you in the convoy with the GT4, EVO etc etc? Admired your car several times in the various car parks waiting for the track to re-open!

Thanks for the positive replies, it was a mint trip and hope to do something similar again next year!

No pics of the blondes on my camera unfortunately but my mate did get a cracking shot haha!

Mk2 V6 255
We're you in the convoy with the GT4, EVO etc etc? Admired your car several times in the various car parks waiting for the track to re-open!

Thanks for the positive replies, it was a mint trip and hope to do something similar again next year!

No pics of the blondes on my camera unfortunately but my mate did get a cracking shot haha!

Yep that was me! :cool:

Yeh i cant beleave how long it was closed on that sunday, only managed to get one lap in first thing. That bike crash did look very nasty though, possibly a fatality....:S

Yep that was me! :cool:

Yeh i cant beleave how long it was closed on that sunday, only managed to get one lap in first thing. That bike crash did look very nasty though, possibly a fatality....:S

Yep we said the same thing, it must have been a fatality for them to close the track for that long. I nipped to the shops in Adenau just as the track re-opened for about 3 seconds too - gutted!

Mk2 V6 255
Yep we said the same thing, it must have been a fatality for them to close the track for that long. I nipped to the shops in Adenau just as the track re-opened for about 3 seconds too - gutted!

Dam that is unlucky! Ive come back to England with 3 laps still on my RingCard, lol! :dapprove:

Jun

Pearl Black 172 ph2
Sounds like an awesome trip. Those photos of the mountain roads are epic too.