ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EVO magazine 184 July RS Clio 200 T versus the rest

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
You clearly haven't driven a 197 if you think a trophy is that amazing tbh.

Its just renault 5 suspension with some Sachs dampers. It works well but the 197 onwards setup is better.

I still prefer the mk2 personally as I just like it being a bit smaller and lighter. But its lunacy to say a mk2 handles much much better than a mk3 onwards. Its just not true at all.

Having had both of them at the same time, id say that the Trophy handles better, but the 197 gives more grip.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

Its just renault 5 suspension with some Sachs dampers. It works well but the 197 onwards setup is better.

I still prefer the mk2 personally as I just like it being a bit smaller and lighter. But its lunacy to say a mk2 handles much much better than a mk3 onwards. Its just not true at all.

How well a car handles is obviously directly related to the driving style of the driver and what your used to I suppose. I personally prefer it in this order Mk1>Mk2 PH2>MK2 PH1>MK3. I think the Mk2 Ph2 has better camber than the Mk2 PH1, something defiantly felt different.

Peugeot 308
I love the fact that the other french hot hatch hasn't been mentioned. Peugeot have made a decent motor this time round.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Agreed handling is subjective, but the lad put "handles much MUCH better"

That to me sounds like the difference between a very well handling car and a very poor handling car, not just a tiny bit of personal preference between two very well handling cars, hence me calling "trophy blinkers" on him, lol.

C63 AMG
Actually, I've owned a 182, 182 Trophy, a 197 and a 200 so I can categorically say that the Trophy is the best handling car out of the lot. It's the most fun, the most agile and the most characterful drive I have owned. Well apart from the C63...but I am not going to brag about and go on about owning that on here.

The 197 and 200 are great handling cars: planted, solid and offering loads of confidence for crap drivers with spots and bad fashion sense. But the Trophy rewards and exploits talent. And it is light and far more communicative through the steering wheel and chassis. A great car. In fact I might buy another one, just because I can.

C63 AMG

Actually, I've owned a 182, 182 Trophy, a 197 and a 200 so I can categorically say that the Trophy is the best handling car out of the lot. It's the most fun, the most agile and the most characterful drive I have owned. Well apart from the C63...but I am not going to brag about and go on about owning that on here.

The 197 and 200 are great handling cars: planted, solid and offering loads of confidence for crap drivers with spots and bad fashion sense. But the Trophy rewards and exploits talent. And it is light and far more communicative through the steering wheel and chassis. A great car. In fact I might buy another one, just because I can.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Most agile car you have owned apart from a 2 tonne c63? Wow high praise indeed for a hot hatch to be nearly that nimble. Flol.

The 182 Cup with aftermarket suspension might have better steering feel than the 197/200 but it's also about eight turns lock to lock and the wheel itself is bigger than the London Eye.

Not exactly RACECAR.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The 182 Cup with aftermarket suspension might have better steering feel than the 197/200 but it's also about eight turns lock to lock and the wheel itself is bigger than the London Eye.

Not exactly RACECAR.

This is true, the difference between how it feels in my turbo ph1 with a smaller aftermarket wheel and the mrs RS2 ph2 with a larger steering wheel is really noticeable, I dont know why renault went to the lorry division for the 172/182 wheel.

Read this today on iPad. Paints a pretty poor picture of the Clio.

Ignore the Juke, and the Renault pretty much came last in a hot hatch group test. Crazy.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
God knows why they reviewed the Juke against the Clio / Fiesta ect.

It's not exactly a 'hot hatch' more a luke warm cross over.

C63 AMG
Read this today on iPad. Paints a pretty poor picture of the Clio.

Ignore the Juke, and the Renault pretty much came last in a hot hatch group test. Crazy.

If you want a more grown-up hot hatch, buy a Golf GTI or Astra VXR. Honestly, for cheap revvy thrills the ST is the car to have. Renault have completely fudged this version of their iconic range. And it looks awful. This group test (as well as Top Gear's) verifies this view. People who WANT a new RS should save their money at the moment and opt for a low mileage 200. The last best NA hot hatch produced. The End.

RB182cup&golf gti
WhatCar? have tested the same line up and the ST came out on top although they said the Clio was the fastest there. Really like the fiesta and would have one if I was in the market for another small hot hatch.

Lotus Elise
Just got round to reading the article, very interesting conclusion and the lap times seem questionable...hmmm.

When I sat in the Clio at Geneva the first thing I said was how horrible the paddles feel, and they don't move with the wheel is just silly. The Clio has gained far too much mass at nearly 1300kg! That's more than my Porsche! Out of all 5 I'd have the Mini.

I start work at the Nissan Technical Center in September working is vehicle dynamics, I'll sort that Juke out in a jiffy.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110

The stig has spoken by the looks of things.

most of the things you've said there is rubbish

"Just because you can" good for you being able to buy a 4K Clio...

C63 AMG
The stig has spoken by the looks of things.

most of the things you've said there is rubbish

"Just because you can" good for you being able to buy a 4K Clio...

I have no knowledge of your driving ability, so I won't comment. In the same way I don't know anything about your sexual habits, so I won't presume to call you incestuous. But having owned many RSs, I can categorically say that I prefer the Clio Trophy to the 197/200, and therefore I think it's better as a drivers' car. I think it's better. I couldn't care less about what you, or anyone else thinks).

And the C63 (in response to someone else's intelligent comment), is much more agile than you imagine. And if you haven't driven one in anger, how on earth would you know, moron!?!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
And the C63 (in response to someone else's intelligent comment), is much more agile than you imagine. And if you haven't driven one in anger, how on earth would you know, moron!?!

If I hadnt been in one driven in anger then yes I wouldnt know, but I have.

And yes i agree, the AMG is in fact FAR more agile than one would expect before driving one, but its still only "agile for a 2 tonne car", not agile for a hot hatch. (and also not as good as the M5 TBH) whatever you say to the contrary, every AMG I have ever driven or even been passenger in has only ever made me think they are amazing tourers rather than agile trackday weapons.

ff cup ur 200
this
If you want a more grown-up hot hatch, buy a Golf GTI or Astra VXR. Honestly, for cheap revvy thrills the ST is the car to have. Renault have completely fudged this version of their iconic range. And it looks awful. This group test (as well as Top Gear's) verifies this view. People who WANT a new RS should save their money at the moment and opt for a low mileage 200. The last best NA hot hatch produced. The End.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I can't think of any reason why I would want to change from my current 200 to a newer one. Or infact to a Fiesta ST etc etc.. Anything with the word "eco" in is not a proper hot hatch, just my opinion.

Will stick with my 200, last REAL hot hatch produced IMO.

RyanS182

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 200
With the clio being turbo'd for the first time though, nobody knows the gains you could potentially get from it..

172 cup
clio rs lookers pcp deal

Lookers Cash Price£18,879
Customer Deposit£1,999
48 Monthly Payments£279
Guranteed Future Value
based on 5,000 mpa
£7,238
Total Amount Payable£22,916
APR Representative8.4%

fiesta st polar ford deal

24 monthly payment£161.78
Dealer contribution
towards your deposit
£250.00
Cash Price£16,395.00
Customer deposit£3,995.00
Amount of Credit£12,150.00
Interest Charges£1,051.72
Total Amount Payable£17,466.72
Doc & option fee£20.00
GMFV (Optional Final Payment)£9,319.00
Excess Mileage Charged
(Based on 6000 miles per annum)
6p
Borrowing Rate4.32%
Representative4.9% APR

fiesta st such a bargain if u have 4k deposit to put down

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's an example. Not the only option. Other mileage choices will be available too obviously. They just show the 5k one as its the cheapest.

Fiesta ST200
The 197 and 200 are great handling cars: planted, solid and offering loads of confidence for crap drivers with spots and bad fashion sense.

Bit of a broad brush to be painting with. I decided to buy a 200 out of a lot of other hot hatchbacks and I love the way it handles, it suits my driving style. Does that make me a crap driver with spots (not quite relevant) and bad fashion sense? On the C63 front, in my personal opinion not in the same league for being 'agile'. Fun? Certainly.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Similar deposit to the ST on the Clio gets you it for around £204 a month over 24 months. Doesn't help that the Clio costs so much more to start with so the prices are never going to be as good really.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You'd have to have some serious Renault commitment (or be specialton) to pick the 200T over the ST imo.

So a family man who has an interest in cars but needs/wants a 5 door car with a boot is a 'specialton'?

c**table, your opinion is c**table. TBH.

Last edited:
  clio diesel
Sorry if it's a repost, interesting lap times on the RS Clio's new and old... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPpg3aF2ZdQ

I think we would have all predicted the outcome to be exactly the same. It's a shame they put the Williams on cheap Chinese tyres!

I do not think a track is a natural environment for the Williams. It was really designed to be good on bumpy French B roads, not smooth tracks. Each subsequent incarnation has moved towards a more rev happy engine with a better top end and being more track focused.

It also depends on the track. The weight advantage the williams hold is only really good on very twisty track.

The newer cars tend to have more grip, which makes them better track cars. The williams has amazing traction, which makes it great at coming out of tight hairpins on tight B roads.

Clio 200 Cup
clio rs lookers pcp deal

Lookers Cash Price£18,879
Customer Deposit£1,999
48 Monthly Payments£279
Guranteed Future Value
based on 5,000 mpa
£7,238
Total Amount Payable£22,916
APR Representative8.4%

fiesta st polar ford deal

24 monthly payment£161.78
Dealer contribution
towards your deposit
£250.00
Cash Price£16,395.00
Customer deposit£3,995.00
Amount of Credit£12,150.00
Interest Charges£1,051.72
Total Amount Payable£17,466.72
Doc & option fee£20.00
GMFV (Optional Final Payment)£9,310
Excess Mileage Charged
(Based on 6000 miles per annum)
6p
Borrowing Rate4.32%
Representative4.9% APR

fiesta st such a bargain if u have 4k deposit to put down

I'd want a bloody sight more than £7k and change for a 4 year old car with run in mileage that cost that much in the first place. I very very very nearly ordered one of the new Clio RS' s but my spec would cost me £22k, they don't offer it in 'that' blue colour (sorry, I have no idea what it's proper name is), it doesn't have the option of Recaro's or Brembo's, it doesn't have the flared arches or any of the addenda the makes the others that bit more special. I plan to keep my 200 Cup until they get their act together with it then I'll look at them again.

​I mean, FFS, an engine noise simulator. What were they smoking that day?!