ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EVO:- Mini Cooper S vs Clio 197

182 Cup & Alpina B2.5
Have any of you guys read the article yet?
What do you think?
They seem to be saying that the new car isn't as exciting to drive as the older versions, perhaps a step backwards.:)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Shame the mini looks so toy-town, made every bit I hate about the old one worse.

Have any of you guys read the article yet?
What do you think?
They seem to be saying that the new car isn't as exciting to drive as the older versions, perhaps a step backwards.:)

Think their basically saying its not as exciting or involving to drive, but is a step up in overall ability. Sounds like its more well behaved :rolleyes:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I've read it and i'm not a bit surprised, iirc the last Renault Sport Clio EVO tested was the Clio Trophy,[And we all know how much evo love them] so the 197 had alot to do to really impress them.

I'd still take the 197 over the Mini copper s though, but imo they are both overpriced.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The trophy was so good the editor of the mag bought one to park next to his zonda.
I havent heard about him trading it in for a 197 yet though.
Enough said

ian

Turbos.
The problem is people are comparing the 197 to the likes of the Trophy, a special edition aimed at a particular type of person. The 197 is in fact the new 172, which was aimed at a much wider audience.

I think we need to be a little more patient and wait for the more focused variants, then rip Jeremy Townsend to shreds ;)

As opposed to the 197 being for non-trendy rich kids? Since they both cost the same.

b****cks. The new mini has always been a fashion accessory for many people. Nothing to do with price

To some it is. But to a lot of people it's also a great car and a fantastic drive with bags of character which is why its currently EVO's pick of hot hatches and I don't think they're that interested in fashion.

MINI JCW
b****cks. The new mini has always been a fashion accessory for many people. Nothing to do with price

To some it is. But to a lot of people it's also a great car and a fantastic drive with bags of character which is why its currently EVO's pick of hot hatches and I don't think they're that interested in fashion.

Agree totally and thats why I think the MINI has been such a success, me and the missus have a Cooper S and a 182. The Cooper S appeals to so many different people its a fashion accessory to some but its also a cracking car to drive.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I like the fact that Evo have chosen the Mini over the 197, as I was starting to think that they were unnaturally biased towards the RS range.

Haven't read it fully, but I think they've highlighted the fact that it's more 'grown up' and that's taken the raw edge away.

I like the fact that Evo have chosen the Mini over the 197, as I was starting to think that they were unnaturally biased towards the RS range.

That old chestnut^^^^:rolleyes:

Why is it so hard to believe that RS clios are simply better than their rivals in terms of driving thrills? Which is what Evo is all about.

I'm not just banging the drum for clios cos I've got one. It just seems strange to question their judgement when they are the ones who test all the cars. Seems more likely than a pro-clio bias.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I totally agree mate, but the constant great reviews do get people thinking that they're being 'sponsored'!

It is a possibilty. I'd be more worried about a Porsche 'conspiracy'. That company seems to be able to do no wrong.Can't recall them losing a group test once!

On the otherhand perhaps they're just darn good cars.......