ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exclusive 172 - 172 Cup, Future Classic?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Seriously toying with buying an Exclusive 172, I think I'm right in saying it's a bit marmite. The BBS wheels and the cream leather interior seems to provoke a vomit in the mouth reaction for which I actually like. The one in mind needs TLC, I'm seeing this as a long burner project to have it back to a decent OE condition.

Out of interest I was just wondering whether people might see these and say the Cup 172 as a future classic in the Clio world. Apologies if this has been covered already.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I don't know if the Exclusive will really, as it's not very desirable. 172 Cup will, because it's one of the most special variants, memorable and increasingly rare as so many are turned into track cars.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I don't know if the Exclusive will really, as it's not very desirable. 172 Cup will, because it's one of the most special variants, memorable and increasingly rare as so many are turned into track cars.
But maybe it not being desirable will come into its own. Personally its one Clio I've noy ticked off on my list and wouldn't mind owning.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
That fact it's not desirable answers your question IMO. If it isn't now, it never will be.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I guess rarity will always be on its side. I think the phase 1 will always attract attention as it's less common than the phase 2 and was the original, but I'm not sure the Exclusive will be worth much more.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
172 - quick hot hatch that has a small bit of luxury

Exclusive - bit more luxury that was a bit quick. Probably aimed at the older man.

Enthusiasts of this marque are more interested in the former

That's how I see it. Most others probably think similar

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I think the problem with the exclusive is the interior, it's minging. Which is a massive shame because the green paint is lush! Unfortunately you don't sit on the outside and I think that's why it'll not be worth an investment.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The only ones worth top dollar are

172 Cup
Trophy
V6

LY Tax will die off in a few years when people realise it's not that great and they've all been garaged up so none ever come up for sale. That being said they will all appreciate over time, no matter the condition, in 30 years time even a silver bag of nails will sell for a fair chunk, just down to rarity

The only ones worth top dollar are

172 Cup
Trophy
V6

LY Tax will die off in a few years when people realise it's not that great and they've all been garaged up so none ever come up for sale. That being said they will all appreciate over time, no matter the condition, in 30 years time even a silver bag of nails will sell for a fair chunk, just down to rarity

In 30 years it wont matter what colour it is as they will all be more rare. I just hope that other cars dont get hidden away and the prices moon, Ive wanted a jzx100 for too long, Id take a pink one with a giant c**k drawn on the side as they the drift guys smash them into walls and write them off

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
In 30 years it wont matter what colour it is as they will all be more rare. I just hope that other cars dont get hidden away and the prices moon, Ive wanted a jzx100 for too long, Id take a pink one with a giant c**k drawn on the side as they the drift guys smash them into walls and write them off
Anything with a 1J, 1.5J or 2J in it nowadays is stupid money!!

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I have turned down 8k for my exclusive and 13k for my sunny. Not dolly head offers either, they are genuine.

The Renault 5 GT Turbo scene laughed when I advertised my fooking mint phase 1 GT turbo for 9k a few years ago, sold. Resold it again a few years later for 13k with the same people saying it won’t sell.

Go figure.

I have turned down 8k for my exclusive and 13k for my sunny. Not dolly head offers either, they are genuine.

The Renault 5 GT Turbo scene laughed when I advertised my fooking mint phase 1 GT turbo for 9k a few years ago, sold. Resold it again a few years later for 13k with the same people saying it won’t sell.

Go figure.
I'd take the money! I bet they're bull shitting you though! Like on here when everyone wants a car and when the seller puts it up no one ponies up.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I'd take the money! I bet they're bull shitting you though! Like on here when everyone wants a car and when the seller puts it up no one ponies up.

I’m in it for the long haul, I sold two cars to this person who made the offers. No f**king around, they would of been loaded up on a transporter the following morning if I had said yes.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Not really they will still be in my possession in ten years time. Everything will be driving itself by then. At least there will be something left to remind us how hot hatches were once built!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I was around owning GT Turbos when you could pick up a half decent one for less than a grand, now they're fetching anything and over 10K. Like the classic minis, everybody hated the clubman square shape but once they'd rinsed out the round front models all of a sudden it became the next big thing.

Interesting to read peoples opinions on the Exclusive, I actually think its that bad in some ways it's actually cool. My way of thinking was to get one while they're in financial reach, smoke it around then maybe take it off the road and put it all right.

Its giving me something to do as well as I like to tinker on motors and the Megane really is all bolt on and pretty much how I want it to be.

Exige, M140i
A good example of any of these sporty Clio variants will be desirable in many years to come, as will any manual naturally aspirated lightweight petrol performance car. It will all come down to how well you can maintain if in the years inbetween!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
In 30 years it won't matter, petrol will be for the rich and well all be sat in electric pods that drive themselves.

This, by the time these cars are actually worth something Petrol won't be so readily available and only properly special cars will remain.
No-one will care about an early 2000's French hatchback that wasn't particularly special and can now no longer work.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I’d disagree with that. It’s getting hard to find a good one. Supply and demand and all that!

Everyone’s jumped on the wagon and claims that theirs is the best or it’s a future classic. Dawn has the lowest mile cup that i know of and couldn’t shift it for 8k even after a year.

A average 40k phase 1 172 went through auction 6 months ago and cleared 7k.

It wasn’t the best of the best unlike the supposedly 18k miles cup that cant clear 8k....

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Clean, OEM, low mileage 1*2’s of any variant will fetch good money in ‘the future’, but the amount you’ll spend just to keep it working, serviced, looked after etc... it’s just not worth worrying about IMO.

Exige, M140i
Everyone’s jumped on the wagon and claims that theirs is the best or it’s a future classic. Dawn has the lowest mile cup that i know of and couldn’t shift it for 8k even after a year.

It wasn’t the best of the best unlike the supposedly 18k miles cup that cant clear 8k....

That may be, but 5 years ago you could pick up a mint 172 Cup for little over £2k (I did) - try doing that now! They might not be worth as much as a good ph1, but they’ll still be worth a bit.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
That may be, but 5 years ago you could pick up a mint 172 Cup for little over £2k (I did) - try doing that now! They might not be worth as much as a good ph1, but they’ll still be worth a bit.

I did, I purchased one for 2k in feb and sold It for 5k in sept without doing a thing to it shrug 🤷‍♂️ It was probably a better example then Dawns low miler also.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Cheap Cups are out there, but so are cheap Ph1s. You'll always get the odd bargain if you're lucky, but there has definitely been an uplift in prices across the board in the last couple of years. Cheap 1*2s have become harder to find than they were. Which will end up as the more valuable long-term is hard to say. The Ph1 might fetch a touch more in extreme circumstances at the moment, but they are a touch older, so that might change and, as more and more Cups get stripped, the demand for clean, original cars will increase and push prices up. They will probably end up in a fairly similar place eventually.

I probably wouldn't worry too much to be honest though. Just buy any 1*2 you like and enjoy it. Worrying too much about future values just means that you won't use it for what it was made for - ragging the tits off it.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

Auctions are abit of a mugs game though, especially for stuff like Clios which are relatively common.
The prices are noticeably higher than you'd pay from most other places and being an auction it's not like it comes with a jot of guarantee or anything.

Fair game for very rare classics, it's not like you'll find those on the open market very often. But a Clio??

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
I hope the ph1 prices go up a bit in the years to come, Might be able to retire early on my ph1 stock :LOL:

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172

Go figure.
13k aye right😂

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Cups have had there day......
bit of an odd thing to say when you made £3k in a few months on a standard one? that would indicate good standard cups are highly desirable surely? albeit if priced sensibly.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
bit of an odd thing to say when you made £3k in a few months on a standard one? that would indicate good standard cups are highly desirable surely? albeit if priced sensibly.

Odd thing to say?

I was merely a pointing out that sensibly priced cups still exists. I didn’t advertise the car or offer it up to anyone. The person who purchased one of my phase 1s clocked onto to it and that’s what he offered. As I had other plans I thought why not.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I’m a car nut through and throughout, I have owned more cars then most of you have had shags combined and I can see how it’s going. If you choose to believe me or not is up to you. I was laughed at for saying Evos would be collectible. I made 16k on my TME RS I sold 3 years ago which I owned 9 months. I made 4K on my GT turbo and again I was laughed at. Look at the prices they are advertised for now.

Laugh away f*****s 😂😂 I’ll keep doing what I have done well for the last 12 years.