ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust blowing near handbrake?

Nissan 370Z
It deffo sounds like my exhaust is blowing a bit...you put your foot down and kind of hear air/ a hissy deep noise.

To check do i literally need to jack my car up, get someone to rev it while im underneath and see if any air is escaping?

Thanks

Lou

Sounds like mine did, was blowing at cat. Just have car running and put hands over pipes. You will then find out if it's blowing or not!

RS Clio 182
Had this on mine, got it on axle stands and the connection between the manifold and cat was loose.

Patched it up but i think i might have to get a new manifold soon as the holes where you put the bolts through has rusted really badly =/

Nissan 370Z
i blocked up the rear pipes using a towel, and it didnt die/splutter..but im not sure if sir was still coming out of the back through the towel.

Does this sound like its blowing?

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Can't really diagnose on an internet forum. Take it to an exhaust place they'd tell you if it's blowing in 10 minutes.

Clio 172mk2
mine blows, still passed mot on a minor. Mines between the ctr box n bck box

Guna get it resealed with that silicon stuff

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
It deffo sounds like my exhaust is blowing a bit...you put your foot down and kind of hear air/ a hissy deep noise.

To check do i literally need to jack my car up, get someone to rev it while im underneath and see if any air is escaping?

Thanks

If its doing it when you put your foot down, could be the fitting kit. its a circular piece of metal and 2 springs...if one spring is broken, it can/will blow, but sound ok during tickover! They're about £20 to get and then whatever exhaust place charges to put it on.

Although as everyone else has said...its fookin hard trying to diagnose something via text (no pictures or sound to judge on!) {and I know pictures aren't going to help in this case} :rasp:

Nissan 370Z
thanks guys, i guess if i get under my car i will be able to have a little look and see if anything looks loose/broken near the car area?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Start car, put hand where u think it's blowing, if you can feel air coming out it's blowing, not hard tbh.

Nissan 370Z
ok, went to where i thought it was blowing, literally cant feel any air escaping, maybe the slightest slightest bit.

On idle the car sounds fine, however from low revs if you put if foot down you can really notice it..which leaves me puzzled as to what it might be.

My decat will be here wednesday, so probabaly worth getting all new exhaust clamps/mounts and get all that done at once?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I wouldn't worry about it TBH, the amount of noise/rattle/tin of bolts noises that come from these cars anyway lol

Nissan 370Z
but its not a nice noise if you get what i mean..put your foot down and hear like air hissing out kind of thing..bit strange!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
You make me so angry with your idiotic posts.

Can you not make an decisions yourself. Its quite easy to diagnose where an exhaust is blowing, yet you fail to grap how to do so.

I bet you have a list written on your ceiling of how to get out of bed in a morning.

Nissan 370Z
well its not that easy, cover up the back it doesnt cut out...get under the car and i cant feel any air escaping

Nissan 370Z
yeah..but then when i cover up the back of the exhaust..it doesnt cut out...which suggests there is a leak

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
yeah..but then when i cover up the back of the exhaust..it doesnt cut out...which suggests there is a leak

Just take it to an exhaust place and get it diagnosed, as you obviusly not capable of sorting it yourself

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Just stick the palm of your hand over the end of the exhaust and make sure there are no gaps. If it splutters or the engine cuts out, it is fine. If it doesn't do anything then the gas is escaping elsewhere, hence you have a leak.

don't use a towell to block up the pipes, air can get through. Use your hand.

As has already been said several times, the noise you're hearing is commonly a loose/worn cat fitting kit.

Nissan 370Z
so hopefully when i fit my decat it may sort it..worth getting new clamps etc even though they look pretty new?

330i. E30 Touring.
don't use a towell to block up the pipes, air can get through. Use your hand.

As has already been said several times, the noise you're hearing is commonly a loose/worn cat fitting kit.

Hand on a cold exhaust.

As soon as the car's hot, towel/rag and pressure.

Nissan 370Z
okay, dont know if my hands are big enough to fit over the exhaust, lol.
its been in the car park all day, soo il start her up and do it so i know my hand wont get burnt off.

Hyundai i40
when you get ur decat fitted ask the garage to check it, if you are having this much problems about having a blowing exhaust

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
ill be fitting the decat myself so shall see what its like after.

:lolup::lolup::lolup:

Take some pics, I could do with a good laugh.

I can imagine the next post from you will be "How to tighten bolts with G-clamps and scizzors"

RB Clio 182
Sounds like you have the same problem as me i had a new exhaust fitted (did'nt change mounts or manifold connections) the noise went away for a while then came back about 3 weeks later. Im pretty sure its the connection from the manifold to cat.

b/g 182, meg tourer
:lolup::lolup::lolup:

Take some pics, I could do with a good laugh.

I can imagine the next post from you will be "How to tighten bolts with G-clamps and scizzors"

flol!
i think the op is best leaving it to a garage to fit it.

Nissan 370Z
Just ordered the whole exhaust mount kit from NW performance so will get that put on when the decats fitted...should all be good then,