ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust dilema

Im in the process of choosing a shiney new exhaust for my RSi from the CAT back. Ive looked long and hard at a Powerflow custom system but the varying standards of work and price have put me off. The other option I have been considering is a 3.5" K-Tec system but Im not too sure because Ive heard that theyre REALLY loud. I do a lot of motorway driving so I dont want something too boomy. Id like something that gives a nice low base tone when ticking over but isnt too boomy on a long journey.

Any recommendations? Are Scorpion or Magnex any good?

Which one is better and why? I want a nice deep base tone when the car is ticking over, a nice aggressive "growl" when accelerating hard, but not too boomy on long journeys.

Nothing else sounds like a K-Tec system. Awesome sound!

Personally, I think the K-Tec exhausts are better made, and give marginally better power increases.

HTH

Tom

get a scorpion. thats what ive got on me 16v. there much more subtle. a nice rumble when idle, sounds good at high revs but is quietish when keeping stedy speeds. got mine with the exhaust on and no probs with fit or falling off. get a k&n panel filter with it. they seem to work well together.

mike

Revels Mum & Sister

Mike Wrights one sounds far to Quite. Dont bother with Scorpion. They seem really cheap and tacky! Just my opionion!

i think the loud exhausts sound like you got a f**ked v8 under the bonnet. anyway the scorpion keeps the missus happy.

Bollox to keeping people happy :D - get a KTR. You get used to the noise and long trips arent TOO bad. Plus you get to play "car alarm roulette". My most satisfying round was setting off 5 in one go in the car park at work - and there were only 7 other cars there :cool:

Generally people are going to recommened what they own..

Have you thought of phoning each of the mentioned manufacturers and asking them why you should buy their exhaust? Generally unless you spend big bucks minimal gains are to be had, so just focus on what looks/sounds nice.

-Rob

Im aware that Im only going to be looking at a max of 2bhp power gain so thats why Im asking which exhaust sounds best. The K-Tec systems do look nice with their seemless polished back boxes but I dont want it to sound too loud. I personally think that a huge 4-5inch tailpipe that can be heard from a mile away is rather tacky! I think it makes the car sound like a bag of nails thats been thraped and is on its last legs. Anyway, a loud exhaust note will only attract unwanted police attention, which I cant be doin with! All Im after is an exhaust that will be a good fit, look nice and give a very aggressive yet subtle rumble. Ive already got a K&N57i induction kit, so Im guessing that I should get a nice aggressive exhaust note with that.

Cheers for the response guys!

Any more opinions on either Scorpion or Magnex?

Does anyone have any sound files of the exhausts in question?

I was at Silverstone the other week on the bank at club corner, and just after the Porsche GT3 race, a silver 172 went down the new stretch of bypass accelerating hard. It sounded fab and turned alot of heads .

Darren

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

I have a magnex on my 16v sound at tick over is slightly louder and it sounds good at high revs but when taking it easy its pretty much spot on. Much prefer it to my last clio which was a powerflow and was way to loud, really used to do my head in.

Quote: Originally posted by Ben_1uk on 28 July 2003

The K-Tec systems do look nice with their seemless polished back boxes but I dont want it to sound too loud. I personally think that a huge 4-5inch tailpipe that can be heard from a mile away is rather tacky! I think it makes the car sound like a bag of nails thats been thraped and is on its last legs. Anyway, a loud exhaust note will only attract unwanted police attention, which I cant be doin with!
Like I said before, the new ones arent as loud. Ive got one of the originals with a straight through de-cat which make it sound like a rally car. I like mine LOUD, I understand its not everyones thing, but being loud doesnt make it sound crap. Everyone who has heard my car say, apart from it being very loud, its one of the best sounding exhaust theyve ever heard.
Also, Ive had mine on for 6 or so months and have never been pulled for it. Personally I dont think coppers are stupid, they arent gonna pull you for a loud exhaust, just if its loud cos your drivin like a tit!

All Im after is an exhaust that will be a good fit, look nice and give a very aggressive yet subtle rumble. Ive already got a K&N57i induction kit, so Im guessing that I should get a nice aggressive exhaust note with that.

Cheers for the response guys!

Any more opinions on either Scorpion or Magnex? K-Tec Racing;)
I know someone did have a sound clip of their KTR exhaust, cant remember who though sorry!

Like you say Tom, its personal opinion at the end of the day. I still think loud exhausts draw unwanted attention and end up doin your head in!

Steve a. You say you have a Magnex system on your 16v. How good a fit was it and how would you compare the sound of a Magnex to a Scorpion? I really cant make my mind up between the two of them. I definately dont want a K-Tec exhaust though!

Fit was spot on. I used to have a scorpion back box and its about the same sound wise as the magnex. I am due to get a k tec silenced decat pipe soon so i dont no how this will effect the sound.

How about build quality? From what Ive seen, the welds on Magnex systems tend to be a little tidier than on Scorpion systems, plus Ive also heard from people with 16v Clios that the baffles in the Scorpion back boxes let them down. Having had experience of both Magnex and Scorpion, Steve, which would say was better built?

sucks.

I can highly recommend Big City Tyres in Nottingham - they did a good job on mine (including the adjusting needed for bodykit later on) and they also seem to have done a good job on Ben Ps!.

Dont use big sh*tty tyres they did a crap job on my 1400 had 4 holes in it after 2 months and the hanger fell off.

To answer the question on build quality on the magnex its very good and yes i new someone with a scorpion on a 16v that didnt fit that well and the baffels in the centre section went.

Cheers for all your help Steve. Im almost 100% sure on getting a Magnex now. If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for your Magnex system? The list price for an RSi (CAT back system) is £264.99. I was just hoping I could get it cheaper from somewhere else...on-line perhaps...?

As for Nottingham, Daz, its too far!

Well i got mine for £80 second hand 3 months old .... lol. However if the 16v is the same as the rsi exhaust wise then try Rally design (01795 531871) as they list the full system as £212.75 which cant be bad:D.

Quote: Originally posted by steve a on 28 July 2003

Dont use big sh*tty tyres they did a crap job on my 1400 had 4 holes in it after 2 months and the hanger fell off.
They did a great job on mine.

I presume the systems for the 16v and the RSi are the same as it looks like this in the catalogue:

RENAULT

Clio 1.8 16v/RSi 8v 91 on 1x3" R £264.99

Once again, thanks for all the help guys!

Magnex are good quality and - on RS Turbos at least - I find them to be a lot more bassy than the just loud Scorpions and Mongooses (Mongeese?! :p)

I had a powerflow 4.5" slash cut on my valver, got it fitted at Xtreme, biggest bag of sh*t going, was knocking as soon as i pulled out the car park, so went straight back, sorted that, then about a month later was knocking again, 6 months on there was holes in it. Also the car felt slower! Now got the K-tec K8 system with the baffle, so its pretty queit on long journeys with the baffle in, take it out and ya got a nice roar again, and the car is deffo quicker now, raced a few of mates, i you can see the difference

Not sure about Janspeed Scott16v. Ive never really spoke to anybody who has had one. They never seem to feature on that many modded motors so, without being too judgemental, that suggests theres better out there to be had!

Im so glad I didnt bother with a Powerflow system! I know you have to be careful where you take your car to have a Powerflow system fitted but going by what people have said on this particular forum, Ive definately heard more moans than praise! However, they seem to be popular on the RSC forums.

I definately decided on the Magnex now. Like I said, I was seriously considering a K-Tec system (the K3 option) but after reading BozVanDams comments on his system "you get to play car alarm roulette", I thought how pathetic (No offence Boz)! I think to have a car with an exhaust as loud as that is a little too "boy racer" for me! At the end of the day, it wouldnt do for us to be all the same ;)