ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

exhaust has had it

My 172 is exactly 2 years old today. When i started it up this morning the exhaust started blowing quite badly so seems its on its way out.

Are there much options other than a ktec or magnex, also Im tempted to get a custom decat pipe made up to get fitted at the same time

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

This sucks!

I was told that the 172 exhaust was stainless steel and lasts for ages, but apparently thats not the case?! :confused:

Theres no way a standard factory exhaust should be f*cked after only 2 years (or less in some cases) and Ive had cars in the past where the standard zorst lasted for ages.

My 106 GTi was 4 years old when I sold it, with 45k miles on and the original exhaust was perfect. Then on my last car, the 306 Rallye, I recently sold that at over 4 years old with 53k miles on and again still on its original system.

Dont wanna be putting a new system on the Cup in the time I plan to own it, but going off what Im hearing I might have to! :cry:

Leeds area

CAT fell off the car at 11 months old, about 6 months ago I started to get the 4k rattle and now its blowing.

also considering hayward as scott. last time i spoke to them they only had a mk 1 exhaust but they should be they same anyway arent they? If I use them Ill get them to make me a custom decat pipe

320d M Sport

yep, its a joke, couldnt agree more. when mine eventually goes ill be forced to buy a magnex then!

Golf 1.4 TSI

especially when mine went and they wanted to charge me 550 including fitting, i laughed and said warranty mate sorry

Is there history of exhausts breaking on 172s, im sure i read that in a magazine like Evo or something. My cars done 4,000 miles now and has already had the center section replaced but is blowing again already and when you turn the engine off after a long run you can hear a noise like popcorn in a microwave and also like something hots melting inside with irregular hissing noises, surely this aint normal?

Ad

MK2 FRS

Yeah mine actualyy fractured. I thought they were stainless too until I owned one!!

Clio 1.6 16V

My standard 172 exhaust is in the best place ... my loft, and cut into two pieces!. It is an over-designed piece of "junk" that spends most of its time "tinging/rattling" and is certainly not stainless steel rich-D. I went for the SS Magnex CAT back .... what should have been fitted standard to the 172 IMHO! ........ or a K-Tec!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Just had mine replaced yesterday.Mk 2 02 with 17000 miles..It was done under warranty or else it would have cost £300.

P.S This was only the small centre section with the 4krattle.

Apparently a whole new system costs something like£1200.

If things dont change we will seriously be looking at a new car once the warranty runs out.Its just so expensive for parts.I bet parts forthe focus rs dont cost that much............mmmm now theres a thought????

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Flying Scotsman on 03 October 2003

My standard 172 exhaust is in the best place ... my loft, and cut into two pieces!. It is an over-designed piece of "junk" that spends most of its time "tinging/rattling" and is certainly not stainless steel rich-D. I went for the SS Magnex CAT back .... what should have been fitted standard to the 172 IMHO! ........ or a K-Tec!
Yup, mine went in the skip at the back of Demon Tweeks when the car was 4 months old. Useless.

Volvo S60 T5

A common problem, but as your car is 2 years old pop it round to your local dealer and they should replace it for you at a discounted price as Renault contribute towards the cost you may even get a 100% contribution , I love 100% very cheap indeed. C Ya Peeps

Yer mine needs replacing aswell but reno wanted 450 for it so iv gone for a twin 3" janspeed cat back from POTN, but it aint arrived yet and i ordered the tw*t 2 weeks???

annoying!!! I wanted the new zorst for york 2moro!

Mike how much is the Janspeed? Dont forget to post a pic and a review on it. Im after a cat back but dont want anything loud.

The janspeed was 200 for the mild steel cat back or 300 for the SS, so i went for the mild steel.

Il keep ya informed, but im like you I dont really want it to b REAL loud!