ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust heat wrapping

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

Anyone got any experience with this...?

It would seem like there is only benefits using these materials, like reducing under bonnet temp, which in turn is good for induction the temp. Also sheilding electrical items and piping.

When wrapping the entire exhaust fra manifold to back box, heat is retained inside the exhaust, increasing velocity of the exhaust gasses, improving the scavenging effect (getting rid off the last of the exhaust gasses in the cylinder, and helping sucking in fresh air into the cylinder, during overlap of the cams). This would be an advantage when using larger exhaust piping as the larger pipes normally reduces exhaust velocity at low revs.

Im just wondering if the wrapping will result in the head and exhaust valves getting hotter???? But maybe not,as the increased velocity will get all the heat out of the chamber, and faster...

Opinions?!?!?!?!

Michael

think ur readin too much into it!

i personally would only wrap the mainfold and downpipe to keep under bonnet temp down and if u got an IK it would work wonders but otherwise no point doin the whole system!

Alex

5 finger discount! hehe

well if u can get it mega cheap then go for it!

u could make ur own IK enclosure outta that stuff!

i wrapped the downpipe on my williams. i mainly did this as i took the heatshield off, wanted to protect the steering rack from excessive heat. works a treat, until u get an oil leak, which then soaks the wrap and it smokes like a bugger everythime u drive it! but apart from that its worth doing. dont do the manifold tho, as the cast 16v manifold will just disintegrate from the heat. williams tubular manifold will handle the wrap jsut fine!

jimbo

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

@Jimbo

Thx... planning on wrapping my Renault Sport (Megane Cup) tubular manifold.. and a Supersprint or Devil tubular manifold on my daily driven car(cant decide)

Not used the cast iron manifold for years, all though they are a great OEM item, making good torque..... for a valver that is

BTW... not planning on any oil leaks ;)

Michael

i wouldnt use it if you have the cast 16V manifold on. Try wrap on the tubular steel parts and thermal coatings for the manifold.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

i have wrapped my tubular manifold and down pipe on my new engine, but as its turbo it needed it, keeps temps down alot though, after a good rag before when u stopped and opened the bonnet a massive wave of heat hit u, but now it dont seem to hot at all.