ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust system question - 172 Cup

RS Clio 172 Cup
Right people.

I'm having problems with my 2002 172 Cup and worked out its the Pre CAT lambda sensor that need replacing.

Anyway just looking at my Exhaust system from under the car it looks like its had some modification to it at some point.

From my manifold after the bend to under the car there is a section of pipe that looks like its been welded then going into what i think its the CAT or a silencer (roughly located under the hand brake) then another section thats had a short piece of pipe welded before it bends over the rear axle.

So i'm just wondering if the CAT has been removed with a pipe welded on instead.

Just wanting to know where the CAT should be located and if anyone knows the Exhaust system layout for the 172 Cup as there is no point in buying a lambda sensor if there is no where to put it.

Need help as its failing the MOT on Emission and need to sort this out asap.

Cheers
Mark

can you see two lambdas screwed in and connected? should be able to see them easily if they're there

from your description of the first box being by the handbrake lever, i'd say you've no cat - is it a noisy exhaust?

don't know if it's possible to get them through the test without a cat, so you may end up having to source one of those as well

RS Clio 172 Cup
can you see two lambdas screwed in and connected? should be able to see them easily if they're there

from your description of the first box being by the handbrake lever, i'd say you've no cat - is it a noisy exhaust?

don't know if it's possible to get them through the test without a cat, so you may end up having to source one of those as well

Cheers for reply.

Yes, it hasn't got a CAT. Had Mike (Jenic) come round to check some fault codes and compared his 182 system to mine and looks like i've got deCAT pipe so will have to source another CAT.

Funny as you say, its not even a noisy system, and i think its got a stainless steel manifold aswell. Only had the car over the week and the previous owner didnt even tell me it had a deCAT or performance manifold.

the std mani is stainless, so it could well be the OE one if it terminates at the back of the engine (the longer 182 mani terminates under the car)

ed. find out for sure which manifold is fitted, as that'll affect which cat you need

Last edited:
  RS Clio 172 Cup
the std mani is stainless, so it could well be the OE one if it terminates at the back of the engine (the longer 182 mani terminates under the car)

Must be standard one them, just thought it looked like a performance one as it was stainless. And yes it does terminate at rear of engine.

Cheers