ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

External waste gate on tce!?!

Clio tce
Bigger turbo being added opinions and thoughts on external waste gate please, the car is having this done now so need to acts fast if going to add ext. Waste gate to the build. Discuss

Clio tce
Gt1544 is going on, good for 200bhp iirc, 1.0-1.6 engine size, not going for bhp though, no pistons rods etc are available, large batches only to order on custom made products omega for example min. Order is 12 pistons... Do the tce pistons share any DNA with the older 1400 engine.... Omega thought it may be that the pistons are not a one off and could be similar to older units?!?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
only reason renault stuck a turbo on it in the first place was for economy as the engine it's self is sh*tty underpowered.

you sure it can handle a bigger turbo?

Clio tce
Thanks for video... Kind of Blair witch like... :) mine is having large fmic, gt1544 turbo on custom fanimold, as part of the work the inlet will need attention( I would like this polished and port matched but this will need to be later on) naca bonnet vent the evo7 style, it's pointless doing all this work to only suck in hot air, then remapped at ktec, afterwards I'll add a larger mocal oil cooler as the turbo is oil cooled only, and perhaps a copper radiator and turbo timer.

I've started to look into pistons, rods, But these are proving hard to do as every one seems to shy away from being helpful real shame tbh, omega have been the most helpful and I still need to email over the piston information so they can see if they need to make a custom piston or not....

Last edited:
  Clio tce
only reason renault stuck a turbo on it in the first place was for economy as the engine it's self is sh*tty underpowered.

you sure it can handle a bigger turbo?

Who else has put a bigger one on?!? It's a low boost quick spool blower so will be ok, sometimes you need to be adventurous and so things others havnt....

If the engine is shitty as standard then i will need more help... Let's try and be constructive and possitive, the car is being done now so there is no turning back, :)

Clio tce
Would it not make more sense cost and insurance wise to just buy a bigger engined car?

im not doing it for power... It's a 1200 remember...

Thanks but Please keep opinions like this to yourself and be helpful with the technical side of things.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Thanks but Please keep opinions like this to yourself and be helpful with the technical side of things.

So what are you doing it for?

Personally when I use an external wastegate for example I normally plumb it back into the exhaust so it is silenced, am I right in assuming you would want it with a screamer pipe though?
I so it wont be good on track, but will probably help make 14 year old girls moist down the local mcdonalds. So depends what your priorities are?

Listerine & Poledo
good for 200bhp iirc, 1.0-1.6 engine size, not going for bhp though, no pistons rods etc are available, large batches only to order on custom made products omega for example min. Order is 12 pistons... Do the tce pistons share any DNA with the older 1400 engine.... Omega thought it may be that the pistons are not a one off and could be similar to older units?!?
mine is having large fmic, gt1544 turbo on custom fanimold, as part of the work the inlet will need attention( I would like this polished and port matched but this will need to be later on) naca bonnet vent the evo7 style, then remapped at ktec, afterwards I'll add a larger mocal oil cooler as the turbo is oil cooled only, and perhaps a copper radiator and turbo timer.

I've started to look into pistons, rods, But these are proving hard to do as every one seems to shy away from being helpful real shame tbh, omega have been the most helpful and I still need to email over the piston information so they can see if they need to make a custom piston or not....
It would look cool though....

Sounds like an awful lot of money thrown into an engine "to look cool" and "not for big BHP".

I take it you'll be upgrading brakes and suspension to suit?

You realise a 197 would cost the same if not less than all this work... and will be worth more once the money is spent.

Your car, your money, do whatever, sounds like you're going to anyway. Chip made a valid point but you seem too engrossed in the thought of well sik dump valve noiz

Clio tce
Because I find its just pointless extra weight and pipework and expense that simply isnt needed for lower power levels where the internal gates work well anyway.

The weight is a good point I better take the bus when I buy potatoes and milk... Because I only use the 1200 for racing spotty kids at macdonalds, or on occasion the twisted chicken people.

There are various arguments about ewg vta or not, as the manifold is being custom made it was worth seeing the benefits of ewg being added it won't cost a lot more to add onto the build you see hence the question.

Last edited:
  Clio tce
Sounds like an awful lot of money thrown into an engine "to look cool" and "not for big BHP".

I take it you'll be upgrading brakes and suspension to suit?

You realise a 197 would cost the same if not less than all this work... and will be worth more once the money is spent.

Your car, your money, do whatever, sounds like you're going to anyway. Chip made a valid point but you seem too engrossed in the thought of well sik dump valve noiz

Don't worry about other aspects of the car.... its the ewg I'm asking about.

Thanks for pointing the obvious out.

The car already has a bailey dv is lowered, spaced and yes a few companies are being spoken to regards 300mm 4 pots... Does that make you more comfortable :)

Clio tce
Oh dear, you're one of those, lol

I think you've made too many asumptions mr chip.... And we all know you should never presume...

So you don't think the ewg is Not worth it due to money, and the engine size. The way the ewg works is to prevent left over pressure from causing issues, so from a functional point it would be worth it right?!? Put the money issue aside as it will not cost a lot more for the fabricator to add an extra pipe and flange, of course money is always a consideration... Value for money is on everyone's mind

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think you've made too many asumptions mr chip.... And we all know you should never presume...

So you don't think the ewg is Not worth it due to money, and the engine size. The way the ewg works is to prevent left over pressure from causing issues, so from a functional point it would be worth it right?!? Put the money issue aside as it will not cost a lot more for the fabricator to add an extra pipe and flange, of course money is always a consideration... Value for money is on everyone's mind

ANY wastegate (internal or external), is designed to allow exhaust gasses to bypass the turbo housing in order to prevent the turbo making boost, unless you are in a situation where the internal one cant cope there is no advantage to going external, it will just flow EXACTLY the same amount of air that the internal one used to if the internal one was coping.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
right , let me put it in this respective, what do they produce standard and un- remapped? 100bhp +/-

a remapped one say will get you another 15-20 bhp out of the standard configuration.

breather mods.. better airfilter set up or turbo intercooler, theres abit more power.

but adding a bigger turbo is all good and go until your injectors and fuel pump max out trying to deliver the amount of fuel required for the ' extra ' boost you will generate.

there is no need what so ever to have an external waste gate, my dci is running a fare bit more boost than stock, and the standard internal waste gate is happy all day long with it.

we arnt digging at you in negative responses, we are going on the fact of cost effectiveness over what can be done.

is it really worth splashing the extra cash at an external waste gate for near no gains?

Listerine & Poledo
Chip.

Technical Q.

If you don't use an external bypass, so keep gases in the system, does that mean you reduce lag to a degree. Just thinking that if there's already air in the system, it should help drive the turbine quicker than if it had been vented.

DCi

I always heard that it was pointless to do dump valves on Diesels? Or am I confusing valves here :eek:

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
lol, no i havent a chav valve on mine :eek:

internal waste gates on a dci are only there to vent off excess pressure at a certain rpm or boost limit ( chip correct me if im wrong )

BOV/ dump valves are for venting off left over boost after spool down hence the pissshh noise when throttle off, excess gas is let out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip.

Technical Q.

If you don't use an external bypass, so keep gases in the system, does that mean you reduce lag to a degree. Just thinking that if there's already air in the system, it should help drive the turbine quicker than if it had been vented.

DCi

I always heard that it was pointless to do dump valves on Diesels? Or am I confusing valves here :eek:

Dump valve is different to external wastegate, dump valve releases the inlet pressure you are talking about, if you dont have a dump valve then the pressure goes back through the turbo instead, and stalls the blades, so there isnt much of a lag related benefit either way TBH, but not running one is worse for the bearings in the turbo.

Clio tce
This is more like the convo in was looking for, so what were saying is it is already over catered for on the standard gt1544 angry snail anyway.... So adding it to the fanimold set up is just a fancy way of doing it and worth while if the turbo is at it's limits. Clearly not value for money for this project then. Halaluya.

182 injectors have been discussed on the car but then it will need to also be the fuel pump fpr etc, ktec said they will see how it's maps and maybe it would benefit from them, but I'm not looking for bhp pub bragging writes for one I don't drink...

Clio tce
Another benefit for changing the turbo is that the standard blower costs over 1k to buy and some turbo companies refuse to refurbish or fix as it is that bad... So im Sure all you Clio lovers agree it's a better way to spend money and with the t25 flange a number of options are open to you as replacements and will cost considerably less to replace or repair.

Clearly a pointless thread though scotty right... And really I do appreciate you poping in to add your 2pence worth. Best save your pennies for that big mac man at your drive though.

I get my kicks with my knee down on the ninja tbh.

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
If you're determined to plough good money after bad then all luck to you.

Just remember, it's a 1.2 Clio

Clio tce
right , let me put it in this respective, what do they produce standard and un- remapped? 100bhp +/-

a remapped one say will get you another 15-20 bhp out of the standard configuration.

breather mods.. better airfilter set up or turbo intercooler, theres abit more power.

but adding a bigger turbo is all good and go until your injectors and fuel pump max out trying to deliver the amount of fuel required for the ' extra ' boost you will generate.

there is no need what so ever to have an external waste gate, my dci is running a fare bit more boost than stock, and the standard internal waste gate is happy all day long with it.

we arnt digging at you in negative responses, we are going on the fact of cost effectiveness over what can be done.

is it really worth splashing the extra cash at an external waste gate for near no gains?

With panel filter and down pipe back exhaust 130bhp is made on remap. Agreed vfm not worth it at all, the dci what turbo does ha have k3??

Clio tce
If you're determined to plough good money after bad then all luck to you.

Just remember, it's a 1.2 Clio

Thanks I'll remember that, my wife will be grateful, your so thoughtful, but I have decided to make the car a bit different and I am a grown up. :)