ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

External waste gate on tce!?!

Clio tce
The update is that a ko3 Turbo is going on instead of gt1544, and the vent is a carbon fiber evo7 vent. the oil feed was being of concern so the ko3 was chosen.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
attitude wont do you any good on here, there is a lot of knowledgeable people that can give sound advice, but throwing it back in there face when they give you there opinion will get you nowhere!

the standard injectors arn't far off 100% DC when above 4500rpm on the overboost from what i heard, people will push them to 125bhp or there abouts with a remap but your asking for trouble, paul @ RST has mapped a few of them with 182 injectors fitted along with FMIC, pannel filters and exhausts and you can expect around the 140-145bhp mark - keep in mind your talking an extra 45% power, i wouldnt be too comfortable pushing much further than that!

people on the owners club are saying the clutches are limited to 130bhp and what ever torque you are getting around that limit but i find that quite hard to beleive as they run the same gearbox and id imagine the same or simmilar clutch to a dci100 clio which will take 130bhp 190lbft, and then once you start passing that its the torque that starts making it slip so a twingo with 145lbft should have no issues!

Clio tce
Hi martin, by owners club I presume you mean "twingo133".

I don't know what bhp will be made or torque when mapped, but it is good to know what people say the limit is though. 190lbs/ft is enough in a Clio or twingo for sure! It's not a case of I want a bigger turbo " init bruv", it's a case of doing something different. Regards attitude the above post speaks for itself. :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
as i said im not sure if it is the same clutch but i would find it hard to beleive its radically different, for a twingo to be running 190lb/ft you would probably be close to the 200bhp mark so imo the clutch isnt a problem,of course clutch life will be rapidly reduced, but a fresh clutch should be good id have thought for 40/50k hard miles assuming your not launching it off the line all the time!

yeah both TwingoOC and twingo133.net

i totally agree with what you are doing, ive came from various RenaultSport Clios, which i have spent a few thousand on some of them engine wise for next to no gains and now driving around in a Twingo GT TCE as im saving for a house deposit, however the little D4FT engine is good and im planning on doing a decent power with it, without spending massive money and without loosing drivability. Yes its never going to be as quick as my Clio RS were however thats not why im doing it, im doing it because i enjoy the engineering side of building something a bit different, and spending small ammounts of money for 50% extra power is somthing that appeals to me massively!

Clio tce
Iirc the ko3 I have is of a passat heritage... From the link you will read that most ko3 are similar and spool up quick, hense why seat used it for there 1.2 Tsi.

Martin - with breathing mods that I'm doing it will be interesting to see what the results are. A new clutch will be done after it's mapped, as my good friend and mechanic wants to see it and will pop it in while I buy the bacon rolls. :) Just means a drive to south Wales.

The intercooler is in and the manifold and turbo are going on probably as I type, so should have it back Friday then needs to be mapped with the 182 injectors put in.

I'm quite well up on knowledge of 1.8t's... Notice what my car's are...

the 1.8 will spool fast due to it being a bigger engine. the 1.2 tsi lump runs a different K03. the 2.0 tsfi also runs a k03, but its compressor map is more similar to a k04 of 1.8 heritage.

Im telling you the K03 you have is entirely different to the one they use on the 1.2.

The k03 is also a shite turbo tbh.

Guess thats a dig at my location... Nice.

So care to explain your choice of the k03 to me using compressor maps over your initial choice of gt1544? any idea when it'll spool or is it a case of hit and hope? you running the standard actuator? what sort of boost control you going for? did you check the turbo for cracking before fitment?

Remind me of your location again, so, when my LCR is mapped, I'll make the journey over, just to show off my external wastegate, as it looks cool.

Last edited:
  Clio tce
To be fair, I can't answer your questions as the guys recommended the ko3 they had when they discovered the gt1544 wouldn't fit the way they wanted. I have faith they will do a good job,

No dig at lovely somerset, nice part of the country, but ko3 are on some agriculteral vehicles. Ko3 easy to come by if I need to replace, ko3 has to be improvement on the standard mitzi turbo Renault fitted. Turbo technics, well Tom to be more exact, recomended gt1544 or a ko3, and slated the standard turbo. So when the guys said they had a ko3 that would be good to fit I went with that. If I'm to trusting we will soon see, but they work on a lot of cars, drag, race, gt40, Audi, lotus, vauxhauls, so there knowledge is a lot better than mine and they know that this has not been done on a Clio before so is a first, with that in mind I'm sure they wouldn't try and put a large turbo on that won't work properly, they know I can check the code and I'll be right back giving them he'll. In this climate no car modding company needs hassle like that... This time of year business is quiet anyway...

That said what would you say is the most suited ko3 for the job? Ko3-011?!?

Clio tce
Guess thats a dig at my location... Nice.

So care to explain your choice of the k03 to me using compressor maps over your initial choice of gt1544? any idea when it'll spool or is it a case of hit and hope? you running the standard actuator? what sort of boost control you going for? did you check the turbo for cracking before fitment?

Remind me of your location again, so, when my LCR is mapped, I'll make the journey over, just to show off my external wastegate, as it looks cool.

Any recomendations on the k03 or advise on these turbos. Understood you dont think theyre amazing but any info is useful.

I think tbh you'd be better off making your own hybrid, using the oem hotside and booting something like a t25 cold side, I thi I he k03 will be too laggy bolted to a 1.2 like yours, I can't see it spooling before 3500. My Cupra spools at about 4200 but will be holding circa 30psi - 8500rpm.

Clio tce
I think tbh you'd be better off making your own hybrid, using the oem hotside and booting something like a t25 cold side, I thi I he k03 will be too laggy bolted to a 1.2 like yours, I can't see it spooling before 3500. My Cupra spools at about 4200 but will be holding circa 30psi - 8500rpm.

Ok something to look at if its not good once mapped then, I'll come back to you with what it's like when I pick it up and also after it's mapped. On the phone ktec sounded very interested in it, the guy I spoke to had a twingo tce and thought it would be a good thing to do as some people have them at 140-150bhp on standard turbo and manifold. Either way I can't wait to find out what it will be like.... It's no cupra r that's for sure though.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the last thing you want on a big heavy mk3 clio fitted with a TCE engine is a turbo that doesnt spool quickly, lets not forget that the reason Renault made the TCE engine was because the 1.2 16v doesnt pull the mk3 about very easily!, and if you fit a turbo that isnt starting to spool up till 3000rpm+ its going to be a nightmare to drive!

Clio tce
the last thing you want on a big heavy mk3 clio fitted with a TCE engine is a turbo that doesnt spool quickly, lets not forget that the reason Renault made the TCE engine was because the 1.2 16v doesnt pull the mk3 about very easily!, and if you fit a turbo that isnt starting to spool up till 3000rpm+ its going to be a nightmare to drive!

Yep well aware of the turbo concerns :) time will tell.

If there is a spool issue there is always no2 innit blood..... Jokes!!!

Clio tce
Any points regarding the rev limits when mapped on this?! what would you consider "safe" and rather high but ok and " what the he'll were you thinking"...

Shame there isn't a striker kit available :quiet:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
no one has pushed this area due to the standard turbo not having enough puff for high rpm big power, i wouldnt imagine its designed to take much more than the standard 6250rpm never mind with an extra 50%+ more power

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Any points regarding the rev limits when mapped on this?! what would you consider "safe" and rather high but ok and " what the he'll were you thinking"...

Shame there isn't a striker kit available :quiet:

Assuming by striker you mean stroker, what would be the point in spending money to increase the capacity when you can just bolt in place anything upto a 2 litre lump that fits straight in?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Is it just me or does the 140hp that's been mentioned by throwing on 182 injectors sound like a pretty good deal for a 1.2 anyway? Imagine they're fairly brisk and still frugal enough to warrant not getting a 200 etc.

Clio tce
Assuming by striker you mean stroker, what would be the point in spending money to increase the capacity when you can just bolt in place anything upto a 2 litre lump that fits straight in?

Very true chip, with that kind of money it may as well be 197 popped in and charged or itbs.... A turbo strocker is a nice thought though.... On a 197.... Oh my!!!

Nothing to add regards rev limits mr ring king chip :lolup:

A new clutch is going in next weekend and the oil cooler if I can get one with the right fixings.

A bit off topic but a nice 106 rally in PFC mag 345lbs/ft :nono:

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
2.0 engine's already are stroked 1.8's. Any more stroking and it'll run like a tractor

Yeah the rod ratio is already poor, stroking it further would really have it not wanting to work well at high rpm, that said though as a turbo road car that wouldnt be a big issue, but the amount it would be possible to increase the stroke by anyway (due to clearance) would be pretty minimal anyway.

Clio tce
Guys and gals, I need to order this oil cooler ASAP, I do not know what size the fitment is for the oil filter, meaning i cant order the correct sandwich plate.... Can anyone help, what size fitment sandwich plate is required!?

The oil cooler, new clutch, and sparco 300 steering wheel will be fitted this weekend coming before it goes for remapping, Should get the car back this week some time to.

Last edited:

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i might go bore my spare dci engine out now, depending on how much bore wall i have left.
and try find a 16v dci head.

anyway, post some video's up of it on the RR or going down a road when you've finished it. will be good to see

Clio tce
Ok... What's with the randomness of the dci bore out.:clown:

No help on the oil cooler fitments then, :eek: I will pop up pics when it's done.

Clio tce
Picked up the car today, they kept the boost at 0.5 bar as before, better safe than sorry or just guessing!! turbo still top mounted, will all be mapped in on 26th, drives similar to before, but just seems to want more if that makes sense, it's a lot louder, cat now under the car, mostly hard pipes all round, from inter cooler to inlet manifold is some nice fabrication work imo, it's all hard pipes... Nom easy silicone hose bends.... makes me want to enlarge the inlet manifold now.... Lol emissions light was off when i set off but after about 30 miles or so it came on, car still runs ok, hopefully will get sorted on remap or by my mechanic at the weekend may be a loose sensor I guess.

Clio tce
Update,

Fmic fitted, k03 turbo, fabricated manifold, cat under car, all pipework and sensors done also,

Just back from Wales yesterday evening, spent weekend at new road garage, We did new clutch, gearbox oil changed, new spark plugs, mocal oil cooler mounted next to fmic but not able to plumb in as the wrong size oil feed pipe was sent, need a standard Clio one to finish this off but it's there in waiting, sparco 300 steering wheel with quick realise boss, carbon fibre evo 7 bonnet vent and front toe strap was fitted. couldn't find room to fit catch tank anywhere

The boost control valve be fitted Friday at ktec so they can adjust boost when they Map it, they will also fit the 182 injectors.

Car already has 20 25 mm spacers, lowered 40mm. Looking to raise bonnet to help get rid of heat from turbo too, not massively, just enough to allow air to escape.

From gosport to south Wales and back, 38.5 mpg, and 1/4 tank left over.... Now on 50.5 mpg around town, 0.5 bar boost,

Last edited: