ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

f**cking rubbish!!!

Hey, new to the site but seems to be full of some pretty clued up peeps so maybe you can help me out!!

Bought a new Clio Sport 1.2 16v three months ago and im starting to think was a big big mistake...

1) Spins like crazy in 1st, and has no grip in cold weather/ rain/ tiny bit of mud, unless i take off like a granny (maybe different tyres help?)

2)Has refused to start (turn over) about ten times

3) has started to sound like a tractor, getting so bad am even getting dodgy looks from 17 year olds in modded novas. The ultimate emmbaressment!

Is booked in to the dealer for a check over next week.

Any ideas gratefully received guys.

S2000

What tyres does it have?

Some of the new ones do seem to not start 1st time everytime. I think TonyKLs was fixed when they replaced the wiring or something.

Dunno about the tractor thing, maybe exhaust?

Sounds like its got cheap-n-cheerful tyres on it that are harder than concrete! A change of tyres will definitely help - Do a search for Tyres to see what we all recommend/argue about! :p

Id wait to hear what the dealer has to say about the running rough - if its brand new (is it?) then warranty should cover any work. (Id hope!)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

1,bad weather crap tyres(dont think your dealer will do anything about this one).have you checked the tyre pressures?over inflated perhaps

2,tdc sensor on engine or a immobiliser problem.faulty key or ring decoder(key reciever around ing barrel)

3,dont know never had one that sounded really noisy.probably something that has been left loose when it was produced.

1) my old clio was the same, remember there aint much engine holdin the front down, also if youve got contis on the car they arent that good anyway, had them on my old dymanique (b4 gearbox went!:mad:) got michelins on the extreme and they r good!

2 & 3)got quite a big stereo in the extreme, called aa bloke cos of flat batt and he said that if they dnt run smooth its the coil packs & spark plugs that need sorting, commen fault apparently, didnt have a clue bout the coilpack bit but took mine 2 reno and they sorted it out, runs smooth now, mine always started tho:confused:

prob no help but i tryed! dnt ever think it was a mistake buyin it tho, gr8 cars wen working!!

-Pete

mate best thing to do is change the tyres coz my standard tyres were pish in the rain then i got some nexen n stunners put on it n it handles great in the wet

As for the starting ive found that if i left the radio on or that by accident within around 10/15 mins the batt aint got enough charge to start it n when u repeatedly try n start the immoboliser comes on. ive found that to disengage this u need to open n close drivers door lock n unlock the doors 2/3 times re open drivers door close it then attempt to start again.

As for the tractor sound have u thrashed the car? coz sumtimes i have noticed in high mileage renaults and ones who the driver hasnt been afraid to push a lot that they do sound very rough.

is all insulation in place under the bonnet? Not sure if all 1.2s have it so it will sound louder (one massive piece under bonnet and one behind coolant tank. Also a nicely thrashed to f**k clio will make it sound like an old ford. Mine wheel spins like crazy - obviuosly contis.

mine used to stall alot but they reloaded the injection software. Mine still runs very rough in 1st in cold/damp whether and sometimes stalls when bad - very annoying at lights.

Seeing as Wayne mentioned that I had a problem I thought Id elabourate. I had the problem that my car would sometimes not start first time, but would always on the second (I guess this is different to your 10 times issue) so when it was in Renault for the usual rattle fixes I mentioned this and the had a look, and replaced "something" to do with the wiring. Since then its been fine.

List of problems with mine.........

Electric faults constantly

Engine cuts then STOP light on

Complete electric fail starting with steering, abs, etc etc.

Gearbox been changed twice

Gearbox now makes noise like i need another new one

Airbags manufacture fault, fixed...

Stalling intermittantly

The engine sounds like an old ford 1.3 OHV

The list goes on.. Ive only done 19500 miles....

lol....... Its such a shame though because I do like Clios... If they had better build quality and after sales I would have brought another one...

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 11 December 2003

lol....... Its such a shame though because I do like Clios... If they had better build quality and after sales I would have brought another one...
just seem to be very unlucky. Most people just get little annoying things like rattling sunroofs. If that happened to mine id make them take the b*****d back.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 11 December 2003List of problems with mine[Forum Error-Post to long]

Hmm, the forum seems to have spelling problems aswell.. to should be too as in "too long" not "to long" :p

On Topic: Lets face it we all have problems with our cars, its getting them fixed and getting a good service that counts.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

[Post removed by moderator, words such as tw*t, c**ksucker and sheepsha**er are not tolerated on this forum.]

my clio 1.2 16v has had its ecu replaced in the first year as i had problems starting and power was down. there is apparently a chip which can be put in on warranty to help the timing and stop it buggering up. (but only a few 1.2s need it)

my tyres used to spin a bit, but they were quite good when worn in.

sounding like a tractor aint good! it might explain why you getting problems turning over, it could be as simple as a bolt loosening somewhere on the exhaust.

best thing is take it to the dealer, but ask them what they have done when it comes out, then you know what to look for in the future

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by TonyKL on 11 December 2003

Seeing as Wayne mentioned that I had a problem I thought Id elabourate. I had the problem that my car would sometimes not start first time, but would always on the second (I guess this is different to your 10 times issue) so when it was in Renault for the usual rattle fixes I mentioned this and the had a look, and replaced "something" to do with the wiring. Since then its been fine.
:D;)

Thanks guys! think will definately get some Michelins to replace the bog standard cheapy tyres fitted by reno. Going into the garage on tuesday so hopefully will get the other stuff sorted. Lovin the forum, and deep down i am luvin the car too.... Will post when dealer checks the car over. B x x;)

Mazda MX5 1.8

i got some michis as standard - been fine aint had any problems altho i dont use 1st gear much as it tries to rip my head off if i floor it in 1st!

as for the noise.......... no idea sorry