ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4R Camshaft lock tool MOT 1509 hire??

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
anyone close to Bristol willing to loan or hire the tool to lock the cam pulley wheels? Or is there a company that I can hire one from?:)

Tools companies only make a timing holding tool and it wont be strong enough to undo the bolts.

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
in the end brought the revised tool MOT1801 (now comes with the 1509 -01 cog) from Renault.

Many thanks for the advice ta.

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++

Attachments

• tool 002.jpg
    tool 002.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 358

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Yes I got a Laser kit for the cam setting and that comes with the pin. Only question I have is on the tension pulley I assume that you turn to align the marks, turn the engine on the exhaust cam 6times and then recheck that it is still aligned as is the timing.

Best illustration is in the attached of it shown aligned.

Attachments

• Renault timing setting.pdf
    412.6 KB · Views: 2,839
  Lionel Richie
chuck the laser/sealy kit in the bin, most useless thing ever made IMO, it WILL bend as you do it

there are no timing marks, the way the sealy/laser kit suggests is a bit vague tbh

Last edited:

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Fitting the tool to the car it fouls on the dephaser of the inlet CAM as in photos - I note Fred also has an 1801 tool. As it can only locate on the CAM casing stud and the head cowl over the CAMs I cant see how I can misalign it? So any help here would be great.

cheers

Attachments

• kids & 109.jpg
    kids & 109.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 489
  • kids & 110.jpg
    kids & 110.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 472
  ITB'd MK1
Fitting the tool to the car it fouls on the dephaser of the inlet CAM as in photos - I note Fred also has an 1801 tool. As it can only locate on the CAM casing stud and the head cowl over the CAMs I cant see how I can misalign it? So any help here would be great.

cheers

you're missing spacers, about 10mm thick that hold the tool away from the pulleys

Lionel Richie
you have to replace the inlet locking toothed wheel that comes with it for the one shown in my picture (the one at the bottom)

Lionel Richie
2 spacers and locating nut
tool2.jpg

left hand "tall" cog'd wheel is inlet, right hand "short" cog'd wheel is exhaust, my tool came with 2 x "short" cogs, so the 1509-1 (left hand cog in picture) cog was extra
tool1.jpg

hope that helps

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Cheers Fred Renault did not supply those bits. The nut explains my second question which is I dont have enough thread on the lower location.

Im speaking to Renault Customer Service (based in Ireland and really nice people) so hopefully will resolve.

Many thanks for all the guidance

Lionel Richie
you do need to order a fair few bits mate, not just one item, the spacers and nut are extra also from memory

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
thanks Fred - REnault (S J Cook) sold me a 0000150901 tool which consists of one new cog, two spacer washers and a nut (as in your pics) for £18.49.

With the nut and two washers for the longer cog already in the 1801 tool I think I know have all the bits I need - Ill set the tool this weekend.

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Sadly my auxiliary belt at 25K shredded a small peice from the edge which got under the cam cover which lifted the belt over the crank pulley putting the engine out by 18 degrees and therby taking out the valves.

So its cheaper than a garage by a country mile to do it myself.

When Renault did the Cambelt at 46k they loosened and reset the wheels, however if the cambelts are consistent and the tooth gap is exact, plus the position of the idler wheels and tensioner are identical then technically you would not need to realign. However the closer you set it to the ideal (ie set it up turn it over on the exhaust cam and then reset it) the more power you will get. Hence Freds comments above about using the best tools gets the best job.

Renault clio 1.4 16v
if you turn the exhaust pulley and the vvt pulley how do you make sure the outer crown wheel on the dephaser dose not move can u lock it

alien green rs133
erm whats wrong with the tool that goes in the other end of camshaft, one one that makes cams level???

alien green rs133
cars managed fine without vvt for ages :D

set timing for 5-7500 rpm as thats where you are 99.9% of the time while rallying :D

Renault clio 1.4 16v
if you remove the dephaser and turn it over with the exhaust pulley when the engine is locked with the tools how do you make sure the dephaser crown wheel dose not move?