ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4R Race-Engine for 172Cup

Hello from Germany,

i drive a 2004 Clio172Cup Race Car with the Magneti Marelli Injection. Is anyone here drive such a car with more Power but not with ITB, only with the Original Single ThrottleBody? I need Information about such an Ingine. How much Power is possible with the Magneti Marelli? I speak with some Tuners in Germany and all say the same: We can bulid 220HP. But the Problem: Nobody of the Tuner have ever build a Race Engine without the ITBs:(
Thanks for any Information and sorry for my bad English....

Cup In bits
The S1600 rally cars were also single throttle at around 260bhp but expect to pay in excess of €25,000 for them engines.

Cup In bits
Genuine question as can't tell if YOU'RE (boy I am sharp today ;p ) were the S1600 engines an F4R with a teeny tiny stroke?

Lol well that failed with YOUR grammar checking.

Yeah they have different crank rods to get there. The 2 litre f4r is actually a stroked 1800cc too if you didn't know, that's one of the reasons why they're restricted for tuning.

Lol well that failed with YOUR grammar checking.

Yeah they have different crank rods to get there. The 2 litre f4r is actually a stroked 1800cc too if you didn't know, that's one of the reasons why they're restricted for tuning.

Haha oh dear! Helps to include all the words in the sentence.

Interesting fact though :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hello from Germany,

i drive a 2004 Clio172Cup Race Car with the Magneti Marelli Injection. Is anyone here drive such a car with more Power but not with ITB, only with the Original Single ThrottleBody? I need Information about such an Ingine. How much Power is possible with the Magneti Marelli? I speak with some Tuners in Germany and all say the same: We can bulid 220HP. But the Problem: Nobody of the Tuner have ever build a Race Engine without the ITBs:(
Thanks for any Information and sorry for my bad English....
The biggest issue you'll come up against is trying to find someone to map the magneti marrelli.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
I'd get rid of the out of date dash etc too rather than pay over the odds for a sub loom etc

What do you mean by that the sub loom over the odds it will just be plug and play so you can use the cup loom (very high quality and no need to butcher it to put in a new engine loom.) will only be 200 quid to get it on an open ecu.

You can use the x dash or race 2 dash plug and play. Another benefit is you can revert it back to cup spec if you wanted. ktec have offered this set up but I aim to do it for half the price.

As has been mentioned, K-Tec do a plug and play solution which runs the existing MM dash. It comes with everything you need, and will allow you to upgrade the engine all the way to ITBs and beyond (their own Cup Racer is running ITBs with the Gen90 ECU).

Should you want to upgrade the dash at a later date, their kit will also support this. At the moment it is the only plug in solution to run the stock MM dash, although others are looking to do this.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
As has been mentioned, K-Tec do a plug and play solution which runs the existing MM dash. It comes with everything you need, and will allow you to upgrade the engine all the way to ITBs and beyond (their own Cup Racer is running ITBs with the Gen90 ECU).

Should you want to upgrade the dash at a later date, their kit will also support this. At the moment it is the only plug in solution to run the stock MM dash, although others are looking to do this.

Why would you even bother with the overpriced ktec 'offering' when you could go with steves DTA option for half the price?

This forums genuinely astounds me at times...

Why would you even bother with the overpriced ktec 'offering' when you could go with steves DTA option for half the price?

This forums genuinely astounds me at times...

And the naivety of some people on it continues to astound me!

Please can you justify how the bespoke, developed only for 172/182, plug and play solution from K-Tec, is "overpriced", compared to a generic unit that currently does not run the car's existing dash?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
And the naivety of some people on it continues to astound me!

Said the ktec fanboy. Lol, ironic much...

Please can you justify how the bespoke, developed only for 172/182, plug and play solution from K-Tec, is "overpriced", compared to a generic unit that currently does not run the car's existing dash?

What the actual f**k are you talking about? How has the management for the clio 182/172 got anything to do with the clio 2 cup?

Guessing your 'ktec tunnel vision' meant you missed the detail RE steve working on incorporating the can protocol to run the prehistoric marelli dash?

The same basic, limited, unlit marelli dash that most would get rid of anyway.

Last edited:
Said the ktec fanboy. Lol, ironic much...

What the actual f**k are you talking about? How has the management for the clio 182/172 got anything to do with the clio 2 cup?

Guessing your 'ktec tunnel vision' meant you missed the detail RE steve working on incorporating the can protocol to run the prehistoric marelli dash?

The same basic, limited, unlit marelli dash that most would get rid of anyway.

Wow, nice to see playground levels of maturity (and intelligence) prevailing here!

The maturity I can't help you with, and seeing as you've failed to in any way back up your "overpriced" comment, it seems there isn't much hope with you understanding the following, but I will try anyway.

The OP said "i drive a 2004 Clio172Cup Race Car". Now this is a 172, and the K-Tec kit for the Cup Racer is based on the Gen90, which was developed for the 172/182. Hopefully you now understand how the Clio 2 Cup Racer and 172/182 are related in terms of what we are discussing here. The Gen90 was developed for the 172/182, and there will have been a significant amount of NRE gone into that. The DTA option is a generic ECU not developed for a specific car, meaning the production volumes are likely to be higher, meaning the NRE is spread out over more units, giving potentially a lower unit price.

As for K-Tec tunnel vision, unfortunately talk is cheap, and so far no-one other than K-Tec has got an ECU running the standard Marelli dash. Let's wait and see how easy people find it to achieve what K-Tec have managed with this.

In terms of the functionality of the MM dash, well it was good enough for quite a few years, and whilst technology has moved on, it still works and people use it. If someone doesn't want it, they can replace it (which can be done either with the DTA or the K-Tec solution), that's their choice.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Wow, nice to see playground levels of maturity (and intelligence) prevailing here!

The maturity I can't help you with, and seeing as you've failed to in any way back up your "overpriced" comment, it seems there isn't much hope with you understanding the following, but I will try anyway.

And your patronising response is different how exactly? With your wealth of apparent maturity and alleged intellect, you seem to have a limited grasp of irony James.

For all intents and purposes the gen 90 kit with the Clio Cup adapter loom and reprogramming licence and software is £1972 incl vat. Are you genuinely insinuating that you couldn’t source A.N.Other alternative and adapter loom with say the RT Dash 2 for significantly less? Are you high?

The OP said "i drive a 2004 Clio172Cup Race Car". Now this is a 172, and the K-Tec kit for the Cup Racer is based on the Gen90, which was developed for the 172/182.

Hopefully you now understand how the Clio 2 Cup Racer and 172/182 are related in terms of what we are discussing here. The Gen90 was developed for the 172/182, and there will have been a significant amount of NRE gone into that.

The DTA option is a generic ECU not developed for a specific car, meaning the production volumes are likely to be higher, meaning the NRE is spread out over more units, giving potentially a lower unit price.

Fully appreciate I may be wrong, but was the OP not referring to an evo 2004 clio 2 cup? Just to be clear, you’re implying the sole justification for the comparatively astronomical retail for Ktecs Clio 2 Cup solution relates solely to the Gen90 having been developed to utilise the architecture and feedback on a clio road car? What?

Aside from some brutal profiteering – how is a reworked GEMS platform really any different from any other management considering what Steve has already achieved with the DTA unit?

As for K-Tec tunnel vision, unfortunately talk is cheap, and so far no-one other than K-Tec has got an ECU running the standard Marelli dash. Let's wait and see how easy people find it to achieve what K-Tec have managed with this.

Jesus, give the man a chance. He's already made good on his efforts to integrate the cup loom and its ancillaries. Once the can-bus protocol for the dash is figured (for what its actually worth), how is this any different from what ktec have achieved albeit at a fraction of the profit margin?

In terms of the functionality of the MM dash, well it was good enough for quite a few years, and whilst technology has moved on, it still works and people use it. If someone doesn't want it, they can replace it (which can be done either with the DTA or the K-Tec solution), that's their choice.

As per previous comment, the Marelli ecu offers limited functionality and isn’t even back lit - are you being deliberately obtuse? Are you genuinely implying that in the event of transitioning to itbs with alternative management that you wouldn’t replace the dash for something more functional?

Perhaps next time you’re booked in for a reacharound over at Ktec you could enquire as to how many of these clio cup specific Gen90 kits they’ve sold? It’d surely equate as a pretty good indicator for the willingness of the customer base to pay comparatively more for management where the sole benefit would appear to boil down to retention of the out dated marelli dash.

:quiet:

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Well said.......

Regards investment of time and resources Ktech didnt do the CAN BUS work a customer of theres did and they took it so 0 investment....... Regards the MM dash it has a seperate feed for tacho so rev counter works without any CAN BUS work. I know it works as people are doing in Spain with a DTA so it just time until mine is up and running but have seperate dialfor water / oil etc as the MM dash can only display one at a time so plan to use as a rev counter.

You can have a DTA (arguably a better ECU and everyone can map it), Patch loom and a X dash doe less that k-techs ECU and patch loom.....

As far as im aware ktech have sold 1 of these and is it suprising at the price, if it was priced as market value then 750-1000 is the max for what there offering.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
230bhp is all off the shelf items
ITBs AT/Jenvey (dont bother with std inlet and for the proce of an RS2 may as well get ITBs
12.5cr pistons
forged Rods
Lightly modded head and CAT 422/3 cam and double valve springs
Supertech valves but not essential for a fast road build.
182 manifold
Proper rebuild by someone who know what there doing.

Anything after 230bhp i would recommend going solid lifters and it gets very expensive.!!

172 Rally Car
230bhp is all off the shelf items
ITBs AT/Jenvey (dont bother with std inlet and for the proce of an RS2 may as well get ITBs
12.5cr pistons
forged Rods
Lightly modded head and CAT 422/3 cam and double valve springs
Supertech valves but not essential for a fast road build.
182 manifold
Proper rebuild by someone who know what there doing.

Anything after 230bhp i would recommend going solid lifters and it gets very expensive.!!

Sounds like he might be limited to single throttle by his first post, so an RS2 might be a good option

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Can you tell us about why you are limited to the single throttle?

Class regs?

If so does it limit you to the original inlet or just to a single body?

Im assuming you arent allowed any form of forced induction?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It must be the Original-Inlet because of the Grp. A Homologation.
My limit is round about 7500 EUR.

Thats really going to limit you.

Big cams and more compression are the way to go, but ultimately they are going to be strangled by the standard inlet (even if its heavily ported, assuming you are allowed that?)

M-from-Germany, sorry from straying off topic, but just noticed a couple of replies I wanted to address.

For all intents and purposes the gen 90 kit with the Clio Cup adapter loom and reprogramming licence and software is £1972 incl vat. Are you genuinely insinuating that you couldn’t source A.N.Other alternative and adapter loom with say the RT Dash 2 for significantly less? Are you high?
Re-read my post, I made no comments about sourcing other products and comparable pricing. This is something you've come up with all on your own.

Fully appreciate I may be wrong, but was the OP not referring to an evo 2004 clio 2 cup? Just to be clear, you’re implying the sole justification for the comparatively astronomical retail for Ktecs Clio 2 Cup solution relates solely to the Gen90 having been developed to utilise the architecture and feedback on a clio road car? What?

Aside from some brutal profiteering – how is a reworked GEMS platform really any different from any other management considering what Steve has already achieved with the DTA unit?

Yes, the price of the Gen90 could well be largely attributed to the fact it was solely designed for the 172/182. Can you justify a "reworked GEMS platform"? By that do you mean some of the electronics may have had the same schematic, and some of the underlying software is the same? If so, yes, that's probably where the similarities lie. I'm guessing you've noticed the Gen90 is plug and play for the 172/182. Did you consider that it therefore uses the Renault OEM connector, and these sorts of connectors have high MOQs, and if not all the connectors are going to be used, the excess cost from them will have had to be amortised in? Next, the PCB and custom case. What effort and cost do you think went into designing a custom PCB, making the prototypes, proving out the design, designing the custom housing and having them machined. The DTA box uses an off the shelf connector and what looks like an off the shelf case. Both will be considerably cheaper than custom made units. Even if they aren't generic, and are custom, the DTA solution is intended as a part that can be used for different cars, therefore the quantities produced are likely to be higher, with the NREs amortised over a higher quantity resulting in less cost per part.

Next, the custom software for the 172/182. Do you think the software to make the Gen90 work on the 172/182 just fell out the sky, or was time (that needs to be paid for), spent on it, developing and testing it, and those costs need to be recouped? The same goes for the software for the cup racer. Do you think this just magically appeared, or needed working out, testing etc?

Jesus, give the man a chance. He's already made good on his efforts to integrate the cup loom and its ancillaries. Once the can-bus protocol for the dash is figured (for what its actually worth), how is this any different from what ktec have achieved albeit at a fraction of the profit margin?

Try reading the other topic relating to this. He said on 03/01/14 "should be up and running on the rollers next week". If he can give us an update to confirm it's all working, with the dash behaving correctly, then excellent. If he does it all, then yes it's no different in terms of functionality. As for profit, what K-Tec want to mark up by will be determined by their business needs, but at the end of the day they're in business and are entitled to make whatever profit they can get away with, and the purpose of s business is to make money!

As per previous comment, the Marelli ecu offers limited functionality and isn’t even back lit - are you being deliberately obtuse? Are you genuinely implying that in the event of transitioning to itbs with alternative management that you wouldn’t replace the dash for something more functional?

What have you been reading? I specifically said "whilst technology has moved on, it still works and people use it. If someone doesn't want it, they can replace it". Please let me know how this is being obtuse? Yes, people may not want to replace the display, and I said they could. At the end of the day for circuit racing, why do you want a full colour screen? Plenty of race series have done without fancy colour screens for plenty of years, and quite a few still do (try having a look in Blancpain or USC). Do you think a fancy colour screen makes you go faster? Try having a look at the actual race cars have on when they're racing, and see how much information they actually need from a display! For example, look at this old fashioned, 7 segment 'esque display. How old fashioned! Oh no, hang on a minute, that's a 2013 F1 steering wheel!

WilliamsFW33SteeringWheel.jpg

Perhaps next time you’re booked in for a reacharound over at Ktec you could enquire as to how many of these clio cup specific Gen90 kits they’ve sold? It’d surely equate as a pretty good indicator for the willingness of the customer base to pay comparatively more for management where the sole benefit would appear to boil down to retention of the out dated marelli dash.

:quiet:

Why would I want to know how many they've sold? It clearly bothers you (a lot), so why don't you ring up and ask!

Well said.......

Regards investment of time and resources Ktech didnt do the CAN BUS work a customer of theres did and they took it so 0 investment....... Regards the MM dash it has a seperate feed for tacho so rev counter works without any CAN BUS work. I know it works as people are doing in Spain with a DTA so it just time until mine is up and running but have seperate dialfor water / oil etc as the MM dash can only display one at a time so plan to use as a rev counter.

Oh dear. So you're absolutely adamant there was no investment. Not in the time to develop the software, to test it, to release it etc? With the tacho, I thought the MM dash had only 4 pins on it (PWR, GND, CANH, CANL). Where's the tacho feed into the dash?

Lionel Richie
For example, look at this old fashioned, 7 segment 'esque display. How old fashioned! Oh no, hang on a minute, that's a 2013 F1 steering wheel!

WilliamsFW33SteeringWheel.jpg

That costs £60K a pop!

Good old cliosport, a guy asks a question and it turns into a willy waving contest, all of you shut the f**k up, no one cares!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Agree.....stop spamming his thread, totally off topic.

Only metric is how many sold, Cup racer link kit 1............due to the overly expensive ECU.

Back on topic we hope....