ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F7P = weak

i recond you should give a reason why that doesnt relate to poor or incorrect maintenance.

Audi S3

well i didnt think they are, but he was saying that the headgaskets like to give up... i didnt ask for any more reasons and just smiled and said ok...

who and why?

ive not had mine give up.

Put on a proper wuality one and put it on properly it wont break.

Audi S3

Its a mecanic who is a frend of the family and hes doing the work on my car, and was his opinion after having to rebuild his sons 19 16v engine.

Trophy

They are prone to clogging up the backs of the blocks if the cooling system is not maintained properly, this results in a leaking headgasket.
But if they are looked after then they are no worse than any other engine.

Mat.

rubbish....if maintained its a bloddy good engine

its probubally the usual mechanic speel.....(ben knows) hes getting you ready for the "owwww thats gonna be expensive mate"

BMW 320d Sport

Ive never had head gasket problems. They dont have a reputation for breaking at all. Just that valvers in general are trickier than other cars to work on because everythings packed in so tightly.

Audi S3

na hes not going to give the expensive thing as hes doing the work a lot cheeper than a garage... was just his opinion

he works for ford...

Audi S3

Ive not had a problem with the engine i thinks there great myself...

but what do i know, so tis y i thaught id ask...

Well at 90k my head gasket went, depsite always having decent coolant mix and never been cooked. Also head gaskets are defo a common occurence on these engines, but not really any worse to comparable all alloy 16v engines. Rover K-Series, Vauxhall XE etc both highly rated engines, K-Series love head gasket also and Vaux XE cylinder heads go porous after so many miles, so I would say F7 engines are pretty much par for course, at least half will need a gasket before 100k (some even when looked after) and I bet a wee survey on here would prove this. But thats only one wee probelm, rest of engine is suppossedly bomb proof, especially bottom ends. Also spray bar helps bores last almost indefinetly!

clio williams, Ph1 172

Yeah they are weak. Get an F7R ;) hehe.

Ive heard they arent great for it. But they are a high performance engine. They usually go sooner cos they get a lot hotter due to more abuse.

Not heard of em being terrible though. Not like the old 5 turbos!

I turboed, mine on a standard head gasget to start with. No problems with that at all. Gearboxes, yes. Bad engine, no.

Especially if they are standard and well maintained. They will never let you down.