ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F7p with f7r bottom end

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
So I’ve read a lot about this, where people take their f7p and put megan f7r bottom ends on it to make it 2L, but I never found a full list of what you need to change or do to make it work.
This seems like a pretty good option to get more power out of a valver but I’m on a tight budget so I hope anyone has a full ‘guide’ on how to do it.

For the amount of work to strip the whole engine into bits and reassemble it, it would be a lot easier just to swap an F7R in as a complete engine... lol

Alternatively there's the F4R conversion from the 172 - a few have been done (and there might be a guide somewhere?) so it's not a complete unknown.

Glad to see a valver is still going, though :)

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Yeah, love the valver, not planning on getting rid of it anytime soon :p

I might be wrong but I think I read somewhere that the 1.8 head flows better or something.
I just found this post from 2002 about the same question
i think we are getting confused here,

there are two ways of going to 2 ltrs, both need the willy chip (£160)

A - buy a 2 ltr bottom end from a F7R (either willy or early megan 2.0 16v) then you just need the starter, (the crank is all part of the bottom end, its not simply the crank casing your buying!)

B- or converting the 1800, you need lots of bits, the long throw crank, which i think would need balancing if it was from a diesel (diesel 5k limiter!) also the williams pistons (£80 each) plus new rings, while its out you will replace all the bearings and gaskets (£>250) and get the inside of the block machiened to allow the crank to clear £???

option B is a tricky one, if your pretty competent with the spanners and can get the machiening done cheap then it would be reasonablly cheap, and if you were going to re-build the 2ltr then its about the same price, but if your paying a bloke to do everything then its going to get pricey, IMO option A is the one to go for, and IMHO while the head is off go for the bigger inlet valves, it know its a bit of a unfair comparision but.. my mate had a 2.0 16v megan and it wasnt a patch on my willy engined 16v, all engines make thier power in the head, once youve gone to 2ltrs the head will be the limiting factor and labour intensive to get off so do it all at once, money permitting

and i keep forgetting to ring my insurance to let them know,

So you are probably right about just swapping in the f7r completely ?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Megane f7r is the best engine of the lot as a general rule of thumb.

Good luck finding one though.

F4r is unfortunately becoming the only viable solution to upgrade