ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fact or fantasy

Just heard the following:

Most hand held speed guns need to flat or near flat surface to get an accurate reading, therefore the operators are told to point the gun at the vehicle number plate for the best reading. Therefore if you fit your plate angles either up or down then this will reflect the beam at aunfavourable angle and the operator will have to target elsewhere on the vehicle/will take longer to get a reading.

ie. you will get a few seconds extra to slow down before they can get a reading.

Anyone verify this?

172 cup TT

kinda makes sense i guess... isnt that a similar way to stealth technology works.. just covering the vehicle in different angeled flat panels so the radar is bounced off into the sky etc...

tiTTy & SV650

in that case they wouldnt work on motorbikes, IIRC the majority of motorbikes plate are at an angle...

Polo + Micra

well i watched a kids tv show:oops: and they were measuring the speed of a swining bowling ball but they said they had to put a piece of card on the string to get a reading because the ball was round

cricket is a series of sensors between each of the popping creases that read the speed through each one when the balls breaks the beam

but no, its fantasy, every car has a different angle on the front plate, some even have them almost upright

just get a laser jammer. Much less hassle than arsing about with number plate angles.

Ok, fair enough, they may be illegal and expensive, but if you are that worried about being caught speeding, dont do it.

they just use your number plate because its easier, and it reflect the laser quicker, they can use any point on your car, also the use of a mailto:steve_conboy@hotmail.com"> laser jammer can get you into serious trouble i.e "perverting the course of justice" etc etc

Quote: Originally posted by disco on 04 July 2005

maybe they point it at your number plate so they can read it at the same time!!!
no they use the plate because it reflects the laser, they also use headlights, chrome bits, corners etc etc, anything that will relfect the laser really

I believe that they have been getting arsey recently and stopping people for having plates that arent perpendicular (or at least close to perpendicular) to the ground.

Nothing to do with getting a good image on a long distance laser speed trap, Im surrrrrrre....

172 Cup

Youve got the wrong end of the stick completely. Any surface can be flat regardless of which way its pointing or angled.

320d M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 04 July 2005

in that case they wouldnt work on motorbikes, IIRC the majority of motorbikes plate are at an angle...
bikes only have plates on the back.

ok.... go to thurstons (now greggs i think) buy a jam doughnut , get a bit of jam on the bag n stick it to ure front plate ideal for forward facing cameras lol

I thought this post would get some funny answers...

Seems though that it may be true then. I know they can still get a signal, the advice was that they would point at the plate and then have to repoint at something else to get a good reading. Just gives you that bit longer to brake / see the trap.

As for bikes well they wouldnt have a plate on the front so plod would pick something else straight away.

Might give it a try, just put two sticking pads on the bottom and one at the top on each side of the plate should do it. I think a jammer would be a LITTLE bit more expensive that an extra sticky pad...