ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Faded paintwork on bonnet (mondial blue)

2003 Cup 172
So the 172 Cup (ph 2) I picked up on Saturday has a bit of a shabby bonnet, quite faded paintwork around the washer jets and other areas, swirls all over the place, all just looking a bit tired. I know the swirls can be removed with a bit of work, but can the faded paintwork (mondial blue) be restored just by some detailing, or once this happens is it a case of a new paint job?

Then my next question, if the paintwork is beyond saving, would it be better getting a respray or trying to find another bonnet from somewhere in the same colour? (i'm not sure how readily available they are). Or would a carbon bonnet look a bit much?

I'm primarily going to be using the car for track days so I know technically I shouldn't worry too much about the bonnet paintwork (sods law is that I crash anyway), but i just don't like the way it looks, kind of lets the rest of the car down a bit when looking at it.

Cheers

Steve

Bit strange that it's faded, it's not the sort of colour that suffers from fading usually. Sounds like it could have had a poor respray on the bonnet at some point to me, any pics?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a poor respray mate. Possible masking of the washer jets. I'd need to see some pics though.

It won't fade on it's own. No doubt the rest of the car isn't faded.

2003 Cup 172
Hmmm, interesting. It may just be a bad respray then, would be interested to know why it was resprayed, but i'll never know. None of the rest of the car is faded at all.

Can't put pics up at the mo, dropped the car off this weekend at K-Tec for them to check it out, service, and add a couple things.

So assuming that it's a bad respray, and i'll be using it primarily for track use, opinions on what others would do:

a - do nothing, leave it as it is
b - respray
c - replacement bonnet in same colour from scrappy
d - carbon bonnet (i'm not sure what these even look like on the mondial blue)

Phase 1 172, boxster
it'll be the laquer thats the problem not the colour, sounds again like like poor paintwork done in its lifetime,

some cheaper laquers used by bodyshops can lose its shine over time, a cheap fix can be to machine polish it with a mop but theres no guarantees that it wont come back,

if you want to keep it find a local decent bodyshop and ask them to machine polish it (shouldnt be too exspensive), if that dosnt fix it then you can choose between respray or replacement ;)

2003 Cup 172
Cheers. When I get it back i'll have a look into some local body shops and see what they reckon. Would be good if it's an easy fix, i'd rather spend the money elsewhere on the car.