ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Failed MOT for rear brake imbalance

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
:mad:
I need help..
I booked my 172 cup in for mot at the start of the month which it failed.
the guy said it was an imbalance with the foot brake on the rear brakes.
so that weekend I looked at them to see what was happening.
The disks looked as if they where on there way out to went to renault and got nice new disks and pads.I also replaced the brake fluid and tryed to free up the caliper piston and it seemed to wind in and out freely so i rebooked my car for a few days later

Failed again for the same thing:mad:

so I thought the drivers rear caliper must be f**ked

replaced and reblead brakes and rebooked

Failed again for the same thing:mad::mad:

I'm starting to run out of idea's

I know about the 172 cups having low braking effort but they said they are out of ballance

I have only owned this car for 3 months and love it but this is starting to f**k me right off

what do you think?

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
11Small.jpg

Mondeo TDCI 130
So the O/S rear is reading low, if the pads and discs are ok as you say. try another caliper!

Edit, I can't remember, been a while since i did mot's personally, but i am sure you can't fail imbalance on the rear. Do not quote me though.

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
so your saying this applys to an imbalance as well as low braking effort?

RB 182 cup
as far as im aware you cannot fail a car for rear brake imbalance you can only do this on the front. now im tester and im possitive you cannot fail it on that. i would ring up vosa, im sure the number is on the back of the mot and ask them to comfirm this

if the tester is still being picky, ask for him to do a decelerometer test and it will pass no problem

edit.

quick search for this

''Rear imbalance (or more pedantically, imbalance on non-steered axles) is not a reason for rejection, so, providing each side meets the minimum brake force requirements when tested, it will pass. On steered axles, 25% imbalance is allowed''

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
does no one else get a print out with the braking values on it or is it only mot centres in n.ireland?

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
as far as im aware you cannot fail a car for rear brake imbalance you can only do this on the front. now im tester and im possitive you cannot fail it on that. i would ring up vosa, im sure the number is on the back of the mot and ask them to comfirm this

if the tester is still being picky, ask for him to do a decelerometer test and it will pass no problem

edit.

quick search for this

''Rear imbalance (or more pedantically, imbalance on non-steered axles) is not a reason for rejection, so, providing each side meets the minimum brake force requirements when tested, it will pass. On steered axles, 25% imbalance is allowed''

where did you get this information if you don't mind me asking as I would love to have the upper hand

RB 182 cup
forget me just seen ur in NI and they have different rules

''The out-of-balance of the Service brakes on ANY AXLE, greater than 30%''

RS CLIO 197
rear brakes - perhaps its not the low effort one thats at fault - its a cup so should have "low" effort on both sides - perhaps the issue is the side with the high reading ?

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
never thought of it like that
has anyone any results for the braking effort on the rear so I could compare?

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I don't know where to go from here.

I cheched the n/s caliper when I was checking the o/s and it seemed fine:S

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
is it possible that a caliper could be working to well?

there are so many questions in my head right now

lol

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
or is it possible that I have a mismatched caliper on the side that is reading high braking effort?- from the factory..

I bought the car in england about 3 months ago and because an imbalance in the rear wheels does not fail the car in england this fault would never of been spotted before.

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I have removed the brake compansater under the rear axle to have a look.

and it is completely F***ed:D
inside I found two valves (one for the L/H rear & R/H rear wheel)
the one controling the R/H rear was seized and caked in rust and dirt so got on the phone to renault and ordered a nice new ..

DSCF0884.jpg

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
It looked like the sized valve had been redirecting the pressure from the R/H rear to the L/H front

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I still have book the car in for an other retest to confirm all this but looking at the state the valve was in I think we may have got it sorted