ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Failing alternator cause idle issues? - DCi

Hi all,

I noticed a noise a few weeks back around the timing belt area, slightly concerned as I had the timing belt, tensioners and water pump changed around 10k before the noise I thought it might have been the aux belt, this morning I found out the issue. It seems that the bearings have gone in the alternator and so when the car is running there is a clicking noise and I can see that the pulley is moving back and forth hitting the alternator casing. I am guessing this means that the bearings have gone and I need a new alternator, the car is on 135k miles so I would expect to need a replacement anyway.

I have recently had issues around a lumpy idle, although no loss of power but do have a fault light on the dash - I thought it might be the injectors or a sensor but could a failing alternator case the same issues, as in at idle the alternator is messing with the voltage slightly causing bad readings but ok when at higher RPMs?

I know that my car is a 1.5 DCi (80) but I am guessing this might be the same on all clios with regards to a failing alternator causing bad sensor readings?