ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Failing thermostat?

Clio Trophy
Haven't driven the car for a couple of weeks due to being on holiday and tonight noticed with the recent temperature drop that the water temperature took noticeably far longer to get up to operating level (still hadn't got there after a solid 10 minutes driving). I suspect the previously milder weather has disguised this- to me it's the typical sign of a failing thermostat, have also had a suspicion my fuel economy has been slightly worse for a while now.

Are there any other considerations here? Coolant temperature sensor? As well replacing both since they're likely original regardless?

2 points to note-

Back in the summer there was one day where I noticed the water temperature needle on the gauge fluctuating down the way. This was when the car had already been running for a good 30/4 mins. When I accelerated fairly hard the needle would rise up to the horizontal then dip down again slightly when backing off. This only ever happened on the one day.

Tonight there also seemed to be a major hesitation when trying to get up to 60mph just as I was approaching 3000rpm, eventually disappeared after backing off a handful of times. Not sure if it would be related at all as I've never encountered this before, will need to drive it again tomorrow and see if there's any change.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
It will take longer to warm up due to the weather regardless. Needle should however rise to the middle and stick there. If there are some small fluctuations I'd change it with a genuine item.

Clio Trophy
It will take longer to warm up due to the weather regardless. Needle should however rise to the middle and stick there. If there are some small fluctuations I'd change it with a genuine item.
Yes but what I mean is on the 10 minute drive I was talking about, it would always get to operating temperature on the gauge within that journey, it was still clearly short in this instance.

Clio Trophy
Thanks, I shall keep that in mind if I get a re-occurrence.

It's been totally fine since posting this. Wonder how much it sitting doing nothing for 2 weeks contributed.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Mine fluctuated every now and then on the motorway, nothing major but would get (sort of) up to temperature within a reasonable amount of time and still looked like this:

20190822_134021.jpg

If you've got basic tools I'd say for the money of a thermostat and some coolant get it changed if it hasn't been changed recently.

Last edited: