ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fallout New Vegas. Do I start again?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure I'd play through NV again. While it is a very good game it didn't grab me as much as F3. Sure if I hadn't played F3, it would be outstanding though. Still wasted 80 hours on it though without any dlc...

There were some good bits, Come fly with me being one. Weapon mods and stuff were a good addition but there "seemed" to be interesting stuff to discover in F3 even though there probably wasn't.

That's exactly the same viewpoint as me. If FO3 didn't exist, then NV would be truly epic. I got to some stages in FO3 where in the afternoon at work, I was clock-watching to get home and complete the 'bit' that I was on. I just don't get that same pull - that same level of absorption into NV as I do with the previous game.

I know I should, but there's something that's not ticking the boxes for me. :(

D.

Monaro VXR
I think NV is the better game compared to Fallout 3. I just think the problem is that everyone put in hundreds of hours into 3 and NV feels more like a fully fleshed out expansion than a new game. If NV came out first I doubt I would have liked F3 as much.

Still prefer fallout 1 and 2 though in terms of story etc.

Octy VRS
I never played the first 2, I know they are totally different as they weren't FPS, more isometric games like nOx etc. I have them and will give them a shot one day.

I didn't connect with the character in NV and the whole faction thing became a bit annoying. As soon as you stepped over a certain mark that was it and you couldn't do a lot of stuff. I couldn't be arsed going back to game saves to replay alternate endings. I went the Yes man route and had NCR, BoS on my side. I hope they do another with the new engine Skyrim is running. Should be awesome, in the meantime though Skyrim will waste many hours.

Listerine & Poledo
3 was easier to get interested in, the straight fight of "good" -v- "evil", and the DLC's all added something else.

FNV is ok, it's more fleshed out, but I dont care about who controls vegas, especially since you dont get to see the results first hand.

A replay needs to be done so I can actually do the companion quests tho, damn hardocre mode. Actually, no, goddamn pussies, dieing on me like that!

Not a 320d
Yer the boomers.

TBH i stumbled across Broken hearts purely by accident. Saw a cave and thought it was for a genuine fallout mission, next thing I know im stuck. The guy was real pissed at me at the end because id let all his men die.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I think NV is the better game compared to Fallout 3. I just think the problem is that everyone put in hundreds of hours into 3 and NV feels more like a fully fleshed out expansion than a new game. If NV came out first I doubt I would have liked F3 as much.

Still prefer fallout 1 and 2 though in terms of story etc.

Did you ever play Wasteland before those, wozzaa?

D.

Listerine & Poledo
If you've done neither, do FNV.

The core game is bigger than FO3 and there's more to get your teeth into. It can be less buggy on some systems too, although my PS3 spits the dummy on a regular basis

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
2e6582h.jpg

Spinning tonight, then... uh oh :D

Megane 225 F1
If you've done neither, do FNV.

The core game is bigger than FO3 and there's more to get your teeth into. It can be less buggy on some systems too, although my PS3 spits the dummy on a regular basis

I have had both in the past but never got far.

fallout 3 : xbox died
fallout new vegas: Xbox died and bought a ps3.

Listerine & Poledo
JUst get FNV then, newer of the titles.

Story is less clear-cut (who is good? who is evil? Do you care? I wonder if a Fat man can take out everyone in that camp in one go?).

The map may be a little smaller (it looks so anyway) but it's pretty well packed and, aside from the Enclave (who, like BoS are massively reduced), everything you confront in FNV was in FO3, so you miss little

Monaro VXR
Did you ever play Wasteland before those, wozzaa?

D.

Was a bit too young. Think I was 4 or 5 when it came out. So not something a little kid could really play. Plus my dad only had the Spectrum back then.

Have heard that there is a possible sequel or reboot of it in development however.

Listerine & Poledo
Have heard that there is a possible sequel or reboot of it in development however.

It's called Fallout :)

Seriously though, there isa Fallout MMORPG in the pipeline, but has been for years. It'll be closer to Wasteland than the recent FO games

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I lost my NV completed save game, then started again recently and had got quite far, only for me to need an inpromptu PC rebuild again and I didn't backup the save game, FLOL.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I lost my NV completed save game, then started again recently and had got quite far, only for me to need an inpromptu PC rebuild again and I didn't backup the save game, FLOL.

It's times like that, that Steam Cloud enabled games are a bloody god-send! Shame that NV doesn't support it, from the sounds of it?

D.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Never heard of that Darren? Save games in Steam?

Its the bloody Marvell SATA on the RIII that's p*ssing me off, keeps losing sight of the SSDs on boot up, I've had to move them off.

I'm having to download ALL the games again through Steam also, as my backup last time took DAYS to restore. I'm downloading them all again now and will backup them up individually this time, but it's a PITA.

Monaro VXR
It's called Fallout :)

Seriously though, there isa Fallout MMORPG in the pipeline, but has been for years. It'll be closer to Wasteland than the recent FO games

No not what I am talking about. inXile are working on a wasteland game apparently. You have Interplay doing the MMO and Bethesda doing Fallout 4.

Its the bloody Marvell SATA on the RIII that's p*ssing me off, keeps losing sight of the SSDs on boot up, I've had to move them off.

I'm having to download ALL the games again through Steam also, as my backup last time took DAYS to restore. I'm downloading them all again now and will backup them up individually this time, but it's a PITA.

Just copy the GCF files, easiest way to do it. Only takes a few minutes them to drag and drop a few GB worth of files. Plus they will hold all the latest patch information. I just have my steam folder copied onto an external drive. Makes it easy when switching between systems.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Hmmm - you've put me off getting any SSDs now for a bit! Steam Cloud is brilliant - though unfortunately not much this far supports it....

http://steampowered.com/steamworks/ov_cloud.php

Not only does it store your saved games and/or game profiles - but your keyboard mappings, graphics settings, etc. L4D2 appeared to be the first game that pushed it out and others have followed. I reformatted my PC not long back and missed out on backing up my Puzzle Quest 2 save. I've got 24+ hours put into that and thought I'd lost it.

Reinstalled the game, launched it and it asked if I wanted to resync with the Steam Cloud. Sure enough 1920x1200 kicked in, along with my character save. Brilliant addition to Steam imo...

D.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yeah that sounds a great addition to Steam, unfortunately NV was just the tip of the iceberg, also missing Dirt 3 and others but hey ho.

Megane 225 F1
So I started playing this again. Not been playing it for as long as I did when I first played it but I don't recognise anything in the game past leaving the 1st town. Love it.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I started playing this again yesterday too. I just can't get into it :( Is it worth playing Fallout 3 first, or are they totally different? I got as far as making Healing Powder and speaking to the bartender in Goodridge before I got bored :(

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Ive been smashing it since starting again and i feel ive done more in less time than the last go.

Monaro VXR
I started playing this again yesterday too. I just can't get into it :( Is it worth playing Fallout 3 first, or are they totally different? I got as far as making Healing Powder and speaking to the bartender in Goodridge before I got bored :(

They are very similar games to be honest. NV is the better game you don't need to play Fallout 3 first not related to each other.

Sounds like you have not even got out of the first town yet which is basically a tutorial. Once you start finding the many other places and enemies and other weapons. Then get on with the story it gets much better.

Listerine & Poledo
FO3 is easier to get "into", but FNV is more in-depth and gives more playability long-term. IMO.

Forcing the player to give a damn about politics? Nah

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
They are very similar games to be honest. NV is the better game you don't need to play Fallout 3 first not related to each other.

Sounds like you have not even got out of the first town yet which is basically a tutorial. Once you start finding the many other places and enemies and other weapons. Then get on with the story it gets much better.

I'll push on with it for a bit then, see how I get on. Still got the new Deux game to play as well though :(

Monaro VXR
Yeah know the feeling, got a load of games here to play through. Even though I am off at the moment, I still don't seem to have any time to do anything.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
41hours after starting again and ive not even fannied about on the strip and im level 22 and the NCR love me.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah know the feeling, got a load of games here to play through. Even though I am off at the moment, I still don't seem to have any time to do anything.

Yeah, same here. My overall Gamerscore on my 360, and trophy collection on the PS3 is dire! I've got about 20 games that I need to start/complete, with no hope of getting them done before BF3, FIFA12 and MW3 come out, which will take up ALL of my playing time :(

Listerine & Poledo
Right.

PS3 People.

Are you getting la-aaa-aaa--aaaag and lock-ups every time you try playing now? I have to quit to the XMD regularly, if I get the chance, otherwise it just hangs.
Has got waorse as I've gone along, Lonesome road is almost impossible, opening containers (including comisaries & ED-E!) takes forever, then scrolling through the items takes even longer.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Right.

PS3 People.

Are you getting la-aaa-aaa--aaaag and lock-ups every time you try playing now? I have to quit to the XMD regularly, if I get the chance, otherwise it just hangs.
Has got waorse as I've gone along, Lonesome road is almost impossible, opening containers (including comisaries & ED-E!) takes forever, then scrolling through the items takes even longer.

Not just PS3!

I have been getting it on Xbox too! Ever since downloading Lonesome Road..

Tried playing yesterday and it kept freezing on loading screens. I couldn't do anything, I had to keep unplugging the console.

Hugely annoying..

Listerine & Poledo
Damn straight.

Might be X-Box gets a patch to fix it though. I've had this since Honest Hearts, it got a lot worse with OWB and now I'm saving everytime I do anything, just in case.

ballache.

Might be the fact I've got a 14mb save game and it's trying to pull data from a disk, a save game and the download installed files too. On't know, I've not been a programmer since the Atari ST days. But then you had 1.4mb of data and 512k of RAM.

Those were better days of programming, you couldn't code lazily and then tell poeple "well, your machine is toss, you need an extra 3gb of memory, and anothre graphics card etc.).

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Try installing the game to your HDD. Mine's been faultless since I did that.

Runs silently too.

Loving Lonesome Road so far.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Unsure if thats directed at me or Goodj ;)

But it's already installed on the HD. Only started happening since I installed Lonesome Road.

It's a good DLC though, all be it a tad short :eek:

Listerine & Poledo
Cool, I'll stick with my PlayStation 3's faults then.

Such as having contemporary features from launch.