ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Adams_16v and 2 live

i know you guys are running cams, and both un chipped? what problems ahve you faced and do you have any recomendations? im looking to take the cams out mesalf, send them to biondy to get them re-ground, then have a garage fit them. will the timing guide be given with the cmas etc? cheers lads!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

i did what ur doin mate. the guy who fitted mine had the kent timing chart jobbie and timed them to that as kent recommended. Although when i went to HP, nick suggested that they needed advancing slightly when he heard the lumpy idle.

Ran fine with standard ECU, then i got an off the shelf chip and it did nothing really apart from increase rev limit. So changed back to standard ECU, but i fitted a 19 16v ECU, and although it works fine, im thinking this might be causing my problems with the cutting out (iv tried just about everythign else).

Good luck with it mate!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

thats what i thought, but someone had the wrong phase ecu in and it was causing problems. the internals do look different on them though!

hmm, spoken to loads of peeps, management is where im hitting problems at mo, but gonna go for it anyway! with the cams that bondy sends you, do you get recommendations for timing?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

no just the cams with the profile i asked for.

the guy already had teh chart.

u want it fully mapped, unichip or similar is ur best bet by far mate.

If your not taking the engine out then you cant time the engine via the normal max lift @ TDC.

I dont like that method anway and much prefer the idiot proof lift on overlap method since you dont have to play with the TDC posisiton and crank.

And you dont need a chip to run mild cams really.

Adam, i though he said r****d them a tad as advancing would see it idle worse.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 25 March 2004

If your not taking the engine out then you cant time the engine via the normal max lift @ TDC.

I dont like that method anway and much prefer the idiot proof lift on overlap method since you dont have to play with the TDC posisiton and crank.

And you dont need a chip to run mild cams really.

Adam, i though he said r****d them a tad as advancing would see it idle worse.
tell me more please mate! at them moment im gonna put cams back at zero, then put the dial behind the vernier and set it to the level recomended by kent(sorry for the non-tech explantion!)

Pardon?

what method is that, you cant measure any lift from behind the vernier, and you cant set cams back to zero, unless you mean zero degrees on the crank.

TO put it simply, you put the engine to TDC on the non firering stroke, basically the exhasut stroke. Then the cam company SHOULD list the lift that the cam gives at TDC, if not you have to work it out or email them.

Then you set the cams up, place the dial gauge up on the top of the tappet.

For the inlet you zero the dial and rotate the engine backwards, when the valve is fully closed, read the dial and it will give you the amount of lift at TDC. If its not correct adj the vernier, advance the cam clockwise for more lift, and anti-clock for less lift.

The exhasut is the same but you turn the engine forwards to measure lift at TDC, and you move the cam opposite ways for lift adjustment.

Simple eh!

No more checking protractors, no more taking the engine out, no more messing about!.

depends stan, on the cam......god im a poet lol.

But thats my point stan, this method means you dont have to read crank degrees, and on our engines that means engine out, or at least box out to get the degree wheel on.

The traditiona max lift at X deg is pap.

lol, BenR your a genuis, but we already knew that, will get the timing from kent, and print out this topic and give it my mechanic. any other tips are appreciated.........

just spoken to kent, they said i need 110 deg before TDC on exhaust and 110 aftert TDC on inlet cam. so if im understanding this right, i put the cams back in at TDC(will be at TDC when i take cams out so just need to put them back the same?)then adjust verniers to 110 before and 110 after on either cam?

no, they gave you the normal method, max lift at x crank degrees.

You need x lift @ TDC.

Check piston clearances, its a must even with mild cams, assumption is the mother they say.

do not underestimate the knowledge of BenR, im not even joking!

cheers mate, nick hill, the man from kent, bondy, ken at RE performance and some others tried to explain it to me and failed................nuff said!