ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO: ANY1 WHOS SWAPPED THEIR CUP 4 A 182

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 28 March 2004

Yeah ....why spend all that extra cash to get a car that is no quicker?
Err....lets see.

Climate Control, Abs, Traction Control, Leather/alacantara Upholstery,Xenon Lights,160watt stereo speakers.

All this for a price of around £13,000

Its also been named the King of the Hot Hatches due to the updated ( Cup) suspension which has improved its handling, its extra 10 bhp which allows it to power passed the Cup from o-60 in 0.2 secs ( whatch the flames fly )

It has IMO nicer rear styling due to the twin exzorsts, which are just the right size. "See Im not one for whipping a drain pipe underneath because you want people in the next town to hear you coming 2 hours before you arrive". The 182 is the next generation in Renault Sport, what it has learnt with the 172 and the Cup it has built upon, and thats why people like me have gone for it.

Oh and as I have already mentioned, the price £13,000 where can you get that level of spec and performance for that money...........That a rhetorical question as I already know the answer..."Nowhere"

172 cup TT

i wouldnt mind a 182, but i dont know why.. i think the ONLY reason is because its the buzz word at the moment and new..

Also, serious question here which i hope someone can help with.. I dont see how the 182 with only an extra 10bhp but same weight as normal 172 could fly past a cup?.. is this right?.. in that case, what if a 172+Viper Ik (they say it adds 10bhp (yeh right! but anyway)) went against a standard 182 - would it be a draw? - i really dont see how this 10bhp is making everyone fight and EVEN how the figures are so much better than 172s - very confused here lol... :confused:

Also, it seems that a 182 is basically a 172 with a "performance" exhaust on - so you cant improve on it but 172 owners can - then it makes them both equal again?!.. oh confused again..

Nice

Remapped derv Golf

Me thinks the 182 is lighter than the 172 Floodie. Due to the fact it has no spare wheel.

I doubt very much a 182 would "fly" pass a cup or a 172 (mk1 or mk2) for than matter! 0.2 of a second isnt much now is it!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Im gonna trade my Cup in for an Evo 7.... not really much point going from Cup to 182 IMHO...

I cant see how a 182 will offer any more of a driving experience than the Cup does. Its not really worth it IMO, unless you got one of the first Cups and liked it so much you want another one.

182 aint gonna be quicker to 60 neway. 6.5secs to 60 was the renault figures remember. ;) i know mine does it a wee bit quicker than that. (when i have good tyres, lol)

If ne1 was to swap i think itd be for 1. new car, 2. comforts! performance dosent come into it.

take it from a cup owner that considered it.

172 cup TT

its kinda silly really going on about performance hikes as there arent any - its the clever reno marketing machine at work again re-branding and re-badging an already superb product.

What was wrong with buying a standard 172, getting a double exhaust, dumping spare wheel, and erm, the cup spoilers for peanuts etc... voila, a 182.

What next, a 183? :) - wonder how many will fall for that :(

Nice

Tappd'd RS

i considered it, but decided to go for the CTR instead. Would still love a 182 too tho!

Do what I have done and get de-cat,magnex, green panel filter and R SPORT ECU if your getting bored with your Cup (I was) You will have a car that will take a 182 with little hassle and you wont have to take (up the @rse) the new car depreciation loss again.

the Cup 172 is still quicker to 60 than the 182 Cup. I havent seen anything that has given the 182 a quicker time and anyway the power to weight ratio is still better on the 172 Cup by a few BHP so sorry its not quicker !

I think some people miss the point of what the Cup represents. If you want lots if toys like air con thats fine, but I bought the Cup because it is striped down. I didnt want traction control ABS etc

And I could have afforded a more expensive car if Id fancied it.

Test being referred to is the autocar test, Cup was faster to 100 but slower to 60 on this occasion.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by swelch on 29 March 2004

the Cup 172 is still quicker to 60 than the 182 Cup. I havent seen anything that has given the 182 a quicker time and anyway the power to weight ratio is still better on the 172 Cup by a few BHP so sorry its not quicker !
Autocar timed the 182 as 0-60 in 6.3secs and 0-100 in 17.0secs.

In comparison, they timed the Cup as 0-60 in 6.5secs and 0-100 in 16.9secs, so basically the wider & grippier new Michelins help the 182 get off the line slightly better, but they are virtually identical after that.

As for power-to-weight ratios, the Cup only has 1 more bhp/tonne, so again near as damn it the same!

On the road there will be nothing to seperate them...

Why swap one for the other - the 182 is essentially the same car with some subtle tweaks in the suspension/chassis dept and a bit more power. Does anyone really think they could jump from their Cup into a 182 and be blown away by the difference - I doubt it. The margin between the two is very small - were talking about things that we wouldnt notice during day-to-day driving on the road and that may only be noticed by pros on the track. Sure, you may get into it and think its different, but different doesnt necessarily mean quicker or sweeter handling.

No offence (each to their own and all that) but anyone who thinks itll blow the Cup into the weeds is sadly disillusioned and suckered by the marketing and media hype - at the end of the day, the same product has been re-packaged to match the expectations of the target market - the whole concept of the 182 is probably driven by Renaults desperation to get one over on Peugeot (206 180) - its not as if Reno have opened up a new dimension in the hot hatch sector by introducing a revolutionary concept is it ?

A very good point well put and too put and I put it to the test on SUnday when I went for a spin in 182 demonstrator and this difference was none if anything my cup was sharper as its well run in...brakes feel a bit different but thats accepted...

Not worth arguing over me thinks!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Aye, the 182 is basically for all those who wanted the Cups performance & handling, but with all the trimmings of the 172 thrown in!

Best of both worlds really...

dk

911 GTS Cab

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said

scooby stu is missing the point, the whole point is that you can now get all the best aspects of the 172 cup and all the luxuries of the 172 all moulded in to one, everybodies happy, no-one would swap for performance or handling reasons as essentially they are the same

dk

911 GTS Cab

well done Tom

(<<<<<<<nice new car by the way, 182 not fast enough for you!)

Quote: Originally posted by DannyBoy on 29 March 2004

THGE SUCKER PUNCH IS WHEN THEY BRING OUT THE ACTUAL 182 CUP.

DOH

Think there will be a few pissed off 182 owners when that happens..

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Maybe. maybe not.

if it does then 172 cup owners wont be to happy either

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I didnt think they were going to produce a 182 Cup :confused:

This is based on the comments Ive read somewhere that, towards the end of the Cups production run they offered Climate Control as an option to see if there really was a market for a stripped out no frills version with no extras. Most of the Cups ordered from that point onwards specified CC as an option.

From this I think Renault thought that most people want their perceived luxuries...so thats what theyll offer on the 182...i.e. no stripped out Cup version.

^^^...purely speculation...;)

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 29 March 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said

scooby stu is missing the point, the whole point is that you can now get all the best aspects of the 172 cup and all the luxuries of the 172 all moulded in to one, everybodies happy, no-one would swap for performance or handling reasons as essentially they are the same
No Im not.................I accept that theres a "best of both worlds" angle to this, but the focus of most peoples musings seems to be the performance/handling side of things - if this is the SOLE point of interest, then why swap ? Added to that, why buy a 172 Cup in the first place if its toys that make the difference for you...............Ok, you get goodies for bargain money but you also get hit with another bout of new car depreciation when you swap from one to the other.

If you bought the 172 Cup for what it is, rather than wanting it to be something else, you wouldnt feel compelled to swap for the 182.

IMO, youre missing the point of the Cup if its "best of both worlds" youre after.

dk

911 GTS Cab

I still disagree scooby, if people want the speed and handling of the 172 cup (which we know they do!) and they can get this in the 182 (which we know they can) but then they get a load of extras to make life more comfortable and the experience when you arent racing around more pleasant, then who in their right mind wouldnt want that.

If they also bought out a faster and leaner 182 CUP by stripping it of all its luxuries then that is a different story. The thing is, it would probably not handle any better so all it would do is shave a few tenths of a second off the 0-60.

I personally dont think a stripped out 182 could go much faster than the Autocar tested 0-60 in 6.3 (at the end of the day probably the biggest weight saving measure was the spare wheel anyway and that has already been removed!), again it would be down to the driver. So the only real benefit of a 182 CUP (stripped out that is) would be the cost saving.

IMO

172 cup TT

Quote: Originally posted by DannyBoy on 29 March 2004

THGE SUCKER PUNCH IS WHEN THEY BRING OUT THE ACTUAL 182 CUP.

DOH
Danny boy, alreet sonny? - Anyway..... i dont think this would be a sucker punch at all really buddy... it would weigh the same as a 172 cup BUT ONLY already have an uprated exhaust... Once a 172 cup ALSO gets an aftermarket performance exhaust added it will be the same and for only adding what? 200 odd quid?.. BUT with the 182 you get the NAME and OOOH factor - which is hard to put a price on :) - i think they should have really kept it as a 172 BUT added another option when buying being the addition of the twin, performance increase exhausts....

Nice

172 Cup, Caterham R300

Well if its any use, I went from a mk2 172 to a Cup. Bloody waste of time/money if you ask me.... 2 months down the line I was like, well thats that done then. If I was still in my old 172 Id still be a happy chappy! :D

yeah of course, good ol renault sellin gimmicks! makes me laugh.

toms right tho. if they do bring out a 182 cup, id be feckin mega pissed off. so much for resale value.

GW Clio 200

Hey who cares about resale value anymore, whatever car you buy will lose money and lots of it, we are all aware that the new shape Clio comes out next year anyway and it has not put us off.

The 207 comes out next year also yet 206s are still being sold. Its one of those things mate, I certainly wont be pissed if they brought out a Cup version as Im in a sense *Upgrading* to the toys.......

I drove one the weekend just gone and I will not be changing my 2003 172 for a 182, not much difference at all, to me it did not seem any faster! One thing I did like was the front splitter which I am now tiring to get for my 172. One thing I hated was that the seat belts were bright silver looked tacky!

I would say go and get one but only if you don’t have a cup or a standard 172!

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 29 March 2004

I still disagree scooby, if people want the speed and handling of the 172 cup (which we know they do!) and they can get this in the 182 (which we know they can) but then they get a load of extras to make life more comfortable and the experience when you arent racing around more pleasant, then who in their right mind wouldnt want that.

IMO
As I said before, I accept that theres a "best of both worlds" angle to this - and the point you make in the first para sounds fine if you dont currently have a 172 Cup.

However, if youre currently thrashing around in a Cup, the consensus seems to be that theres nothing between 172 Cup and 182 in terms of handling/performance (nothing us mere mortals can detect anyway) - just like its often been said that for general road driving theres little between mkII 172 vs 172 Cup - yet a number of people feel compelled to swap Cup for 182. So what do you gain - goodies that make things a bit more comfortable day-to-day, and what do you lose - bucket loads of ££ by going thru the whole new car buying cycle again.

If you find yourself in this position, why did you choose Cup over 172 in the first place - if its coz of the ££ saving, you bought the Cup for the wrong reasons (although I find the ££ saving argument a weak one coz I found a number of brand new delivery mileage 172s for exactly the same price, some going for less, as the Cup when I was hunting around). If you went for the Cup coz you want it to do what it says on the tin, nothing more, nothing less, then why the desire to swap - luxuries aside, theres nothing to gain in terms of the driving experience.

I get the impression from some of the posts Ive read that a number of people took the plunge with the Cup without really being sure of what they wanted from it - if it was a compromise you needed (fun and comfort/good for commuting, etc), the 172 was the one to go for - gnats knackers between them on the road, but the Cup being the toy to have if its track day thrills and B-road blasts that are your hobby.