ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Capt. Slarty

Joe,

The progressive your working on, is it gonna be time based or rpm based? If its rpm based what do you propse to do about wheel spin, if you spin your wheels the revs rise and so would the N2O thus agrivating the problem. I plan to get one of the Omex Traction Control systems eventually, could you programming something similar into your progressive, using ABS wheel speed sensors?

Also would it be possible to have some presets you could store different settings in? Like for different road conditions or whether your using it off the line or when your already moving?

Also some way of turning the engine over without the plugs firing so you can clear out any feul/N2O in the manifold should you accedently let it off with the engine stopped.

How about a feul pressure switch to cut the N2O should your fuel pump pack up or line burst preventig you from potentialy melting pistons?

Also I heard about a guy who pulled up at a bank or something, turned his engine off, got out used the ATM got back in started it floored it to pull off and had forgoten to turn off his NOS system, BANG!! I know a rpm limiter would prevent you from doing this too, but surely the whole point of an all singing all dancing progressive is so you can use it from idle if you really want to, so how about a button you gotta press each time you restart the engine to reactivate the system, bt like a dead mans handle?

good ideas Simon.. and yes, they are to be incorporated.

That is a damn good point re wheelspin !, hadnt considered that directly.:oops:

What the outline plan is so far..

2 PWM outputs for NOS and Fuel solenoids. Individually adjustable to enable mixture compensation for pressure variations based on pressure reading (closed loop). Yes, I do intend to add TC via monitoring frequency shift from the abs sensors, this will be used to control delivery of nos/fuel as a compensatory mechanism. It is relatively easy to add a rate sampler to monitor rpm sudden increases as in wheel spin, will see how quick the TC reacts first though, will probably be fine.

Fule pump cut off no problem. Pressure sense for fuel no probs (need to add a transducer),Ignition clamp for cylinder clearing is no probs.

Due to the system being rpm activated, and individual gear programs via gear select indicator is no probs either.

Re the different settings, hmm.. yep, thats certainly possible, I will look at 3 settings, all selectable at the flick of a switch.. 3 different complete programs.

Joe. - ps, thanks for the inout.. keep it coming !

Any ideas on packaging yet? This might sound stupud but it would be good if it could have anoluge controls, better for glancing at to see what theyre set to and quicker/easier to change. Just an idear

I have considered an addon box that is exactly that m8.

I agree, knobs are easy lol !!.

Maybe a five position switch for the gear and individual knobs for the parameters. hmmmmm.. although I must confess the use of an lcd display and up down buttons is easier to integrate.. unless I use another PIC Micro as an Analogue to Digital converter to use knobs and pots...

yep, that sounds like a winner... I will let you have a prorotype no probs.. on one condition lol... it is eperimental or (MENTAL !).. and what you do with it or have to replace is your problem hee hee..

It should work fine.. he said.. trying to catch the falling piston and half con-rod. !!!:devilish:

The nice thing is you can set it up on the bench and test it, and if you dont like something, alter it.. not just the user side.. but the main code, the WAY it works... the best mounting BOX is an old ecu case, the ford EEC IV units are cheap like chips and have a built in connector and rfi shielding too.. BONUS dood !.

Dont bother with the TC just yet, if this works, then it will do the job... it may even be possible to use without NOS, in fact, it WOULD be possible... its wheter my programming skills are up to it lol.

Jonathon has kindly offered to assist in the finer points of PIC programming so thats a great start... along with your genuinely valuable input, it should at least be a great starting design. It would be nice if Nick offered an input too.

Joe.

Cheers,

What sorta frequancy you using for the pulses? I think the Wizard of NOS solenoids are rated to 20hz, have to check though.

As far as controlls go, what would be good would be a box with knobs with the main things on it like, delay, start power, full power, rise time, % increase in start power for each gear shift and a seperate digital control box for fine tuning the more complicated parts, is this getting too complicated or just more exciting and interesting?? lol. TC would be great, just need to wire the injectors through it, then you can cut every 3rd cycle or something, better than soft cut on the plugs.

Another usefuling thing might be a way of fine tuning when the solenods fire realitive to each other, as theyre running at different pressures you cold fine tune in a small amount of delay to the N2O solenoid so it gives the fuel time to catch up, you would notice this on direct port when youve got a lot of plumbing between the solenoids and injectors.

Ill keep thinking of more fuctionallity,

yes, 20 Hz, 50 ms timing for master pwm clock.

ya can even have a laugh at the timing code for the solenoid clock lol !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

first test of programmable nos controller - Joe Hanley 2002.

Device 16F876 Well use a 16F876 for this experimemt
Remarks ON Enable Assembler remarks
Declare XTAL 4 Choose a crystal frequency of 4MHz
Dim Loop as Byte
dim a as byte
on_interrupt waveout test of pwm solenoid control

symbol T0IE intcon.5 tmr0 interrupt enable
symbol T0IF intcon.2 tmr0 overflow interrupt flag
symbol GIE intcon.7 global interrupt enable
symbol PS0 option_reg.0 prescaler ratio bit 0
symbol PS1 option_reg.1
symbol PS2 option_reg.2
symbol PSA option_reg.3 PS Assign - 1 to WDT 0 to osc
symbol T0CS option_reg.5 timer0 clock source - 0=internal 1=external porta.4
a=0
trisb=%00000000 b all outputs
portb=0 clear b
initiate the interrupt
gie=0 turn off global interrupts
psa=0 oscillator source for prescaler

ps2=1 set prescaler bits 0, 1 and 2
ps1=1
ps0=1

t0cs=0 timer 0 to internal source
tmr0=80 clear timer
t0ie=1 enable timer overflow interrupt
gie=1 enable global interrupts
goto main interrupts now enabled

main:
main loop - do cuddly nicey bits here.................

goto main

Waveout: Interupt routine
Context save push to stack

this interupt free runs at about 20 hz - 50ms on a 4mhz clock.

goto pulseout

insert any prerequisites or checks here.

out:

portb=1
delayms 5 purely for test on oscilloscope...
portb=0

T0IF=0
tmr0=80 clear the overflow flag of tmr 0

context restore restore from stack

Pulseout:

Start timer 2 for required pulsewidth
set F out and N out both on (both pulsoids active.
look at fuel lag lead and apply difference to timer.
store original value for final cut off on second timer run.
get out

goto out

my brain hurts now...

um, this all sounds high time conuming and expensive.

why not buy an existing unit and be done with all the phalaffel.?

or is this for the challendge or cost?

and do you REALLY need all this?

have you got N20 yet si? how much are you planning to run?......i must say, i have gotten bored with my N20, well, lazy, i cant be arsed to drive 30 mins to get it topped upt only to drive back 2 days later...LOL.....

Hi Ben m8 !! glad to have ya back..

well, its like this lol !!.

the existing units dont provide the degree of control I want......

Yes it is also for challenge (and to some degree cost)

Yes, I do need it.:).. reason is I want to test out the capabilities of the engine and drive train for the turbo conversion using nos (I got hold of a kit from JJ), but in a fully controlled way..

Also, the traction control and ignition r****d can be used on the turbo conversion.

Joe..

fairenuff....

test it to destruction!!!!

i dont suppose you have a problem, getting the new motors and boxes do you LOL.......

im only running a 50bhp shoot as thats all i need on my fezzy, anymore and teh tanks dont last....

still have to email you thiose pics of my X-flow head!!!!

its getting teh seats redone and guides done and new valves as they have been based at the top.......its all old parts anyway, just replace as due course.