ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rev counter doesn't work

I've been working on my wheel wells, for which I had to remove the fuse housing. After I have put it all back together, the engine runs fine (at least at low rpm's/load, because that's all I can do on the streets near my house), no errors on the dash, but my rev counter doesn't work.

I'm thinking this can't be the crank sensor or anything else before the ECU, because than I would have more problems right? Am I right in thnking that I might have a broken wire causing this? I've cleaned the plugs in the fuse housing with contact spray.

I also have found these.

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

Can anyone confirm that these are the correct pin outs for a phase 1 Clio 172?

And I would like to know, how is the rpm signal transferred from the ECU to the instrument cluster? Is it a voltage signal? Which increases as revs rise or something?

If the above diagrams are correct, I would have to look at pin 70 at the ECU, and pin 4 at plug B, correct?
I was thinking, if the ECU does send a voltage signal, that I could first pick up the voltage at the ECU side, and after at the instrument cluster side to confirm the broken cable.

Does anyone have any tips regarding this, or anything else I should look at?

It doesn't have any connection for as far as I know, but I started the car once, without the ABS sensors connected. Those faults are now gone after about 100 meter driving.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Have you only ever been running it with something plugged into the OBD port? I tried an OBD dash display once, and it killed the rev counter whenever it was plugged in.